long boot with verbose, regular with no flags

Noam AA

6 posts in this topic

hey everyone, so i don't know if you have same thing, but as i normally not booting with -v, boot is 1 min from pressing power button. (using the sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions)

BUT, when i tested few things i needed verbose and came across this, every time i boot with -v, ALL CACHES seems to either deleted or not in use.

this causing a longer boot (something like 2-3 min to complete everything, will explain now)

so first stage is chameleon, which seems to process the s/l/e kext only when verbose (take something like 15-20 sec longer to get to the OSX verbose part).

osx boot also longer in say 15-20 sec.

after booting, and once login. i can see the system recreate all icon caches (desktop, stacks, lunchpad etc..)

also, indexing has gone, so it start indexing on login, making it also, slower for couple minutes.

so, what do you think it could be? does anyone experience same issue?

hey, i know there is this thread, but when read it i understood its long boot no matter what

for me it just in verbose, and wanted to know what other experienced, but if it's same problem then sorry for posting again

I had the same problem, this solved it for me:

1. I added this to my com.apple.boot.plist on my extra folder:

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

2. I ran this on my terminal:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Hope it works for you too.

I had the same problem, this solved it for me:

1. I added this to my com.apple.boot.plist on my extra folder:

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

2. I ran this on my terminal:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Hope it works for you too.

Yes that's the same solution from the thread above. If you use "UseKernelCache" you have to install all kexts to S/L/E (use Kext Wizard to install them). Kexts in E/E are ignored then.

So either you install the kexts to S/L/E and add "UseKernelCache" or you live with the long boot.

I hope for a solution in an upcoming chameleon release.