Mac App Store in Lion GM not connecting.

frishi

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

On Lion GM, and eveything* works like a dream.

Except when I hit up the App Store and try to purchase apps;

I am asked to enter Apple ID and password, which I do, then I get this error:

Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.

The same combination works in iTunes.

My research about this error revealed that it is a problem with network interface,

So I removed the /L/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist,

tried the EthernetBuiltIn=Yes method and no dice.

What gives?

FYI:

I am using a Netgear PCI wifi card that has a Realtek chipset.

My onboard Ethernet is not recognized.

Here's my configuration:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 rev 2.0

Processor: Core i7 960 3.3 Ghz

RAM: G-Skill 8GB 1600MHz

Video: Galaxy GTX275 896MB

-> Currently using Lion GM, with DSDT generated for my mobo by DSDT auto patcher.

-> Using NVEnabler64.kext for full QE/CI suppport (which works)

-> Using Lion Extras folder from Madl0n's guide.

* Onboard audio is not working, mostly because I did not bother using drivers.

* I use an iMic USB audio dongle.

* Sleep works !!!!

Make sure your wired ethernet is being detected as eth0?

Yes, this is very important. Except it's en0.

Danny:

The PciRoot=n setting in com.apple.Boot.plist does not do anything by itself, at least not in regards to this particular issue. It works in conjunction with EthernetBuiltIn=y and GraphicsEnabler=y

On some systems Chameleon cannot detect the PCI root UID correctly and therefore GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn will not work.

When GraphicsEnabler=y does not work, some people resort to Device Properties strings instead of simply manually setting their PCIRootUID in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist (soon to be renamed to org.chameleon.boot.plist)

Manually setting PciRoot=n (where n=0 or 1) in com.apple.Boot.plist fixes this because it allows EthernetBuiltIn=y to work. Gigabyte motherboards usually needs this set to 1 while on Asus boards the correct value is normally 0.

See this post for a way to fix your DSDT so that Chameleon can correctly detect the PCI Root UID: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=207635

Thanks much.

To confirm, I should first set PCI root UID in /Extra/com.boot.apple.plist and then

patch my DSDT, right?

Thanks again.

EDIT: My Netgear PCI wi-fi adapter works OOTB, but system reports it as Airport.

I did misunderstand.

However, I was talking to Jas and he walked me through a couple of steps.

I didn't do anything to the DSDT, installed a Lnx2Mac driver for my on-board Ethernet.

Then deleted /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Deleted all interfaces in System Preferences > Network

Rebooted

Re-added them so Ethernet would be en0

And App store is working for me!

Root cause of problem was that my on-board ethernet chip (Realtek RTL8100) was not detected at all from the get go.

Thank you very much for your guidance.

I truly appreciate it.

I learned so much in this process.

Root cause of problem was that my on-board ethernet chip (Realtek RTL8100) was not detected at all from the get go.

Yes, a wired ethernet device must be present on the system, it must be en0 and seen as built-in.

It is very important for compatibility that you have this configured correctly on your Hackintosh, no matter what version of OS X you are running.

It doesn't just affect the app store, many other (mostly pro) apps use the MAC address of the first (en0) built-in ethernet device for generating registration data or other type of machine identification.

Here's a list of software that will not work correctly or at all without it - there's a lot more than just these though:

Final Cut Pro/Studio

Motion

Adobe Design Premium CS3

Matlab

Anything that uses FLEXlm for licensing

Anything by Popcap Games (Bejeweled, Peggle etc)

Maya

Korg Legacy

Stylus RMX

Omnisphere

Netflix

Time Machine

Bonjour

Microsoft Silverlight

If you have an iTunes Store account, iTunes will refuse to "authorize" your hackintosh.

This is nothing new, there are many, many threads about this type of issue here already, going way back to early Tiger days.

If this is a must for any Mac OS X, why did the app store work for 10.6.7? Once I went to 10.6.8 and now 10.7 I lost the ability to login to the app store. I even have two ethernet ports on my MB and I tried the second one that had en0 and still no luck. Im going to buy a network card tonight and try that out as others have said. Hopefully I can get this runnig before Lion comes out this week...just wanna get all my stuff working for the release.

I don't believe buying a network card will help if you already have a fully working en0 which is seen as built-in. AFAIK it is not required to be in use but the device must be active and have a driver loaded for it.

If you had no problems with say, iTunes authorization before updating to 10.6.8, then I think it's safe to say that something else is missing in your Hackintosh puzzle.

It is well known that "something" is different with PCI configuration (this includes motherboard devices which are on the PCI bus, such as on-board ethernet) in Lion, and now in 10.6.8, which is more Lion-like than previous versions of Snow Leopard.

Follow the link to the "tequila fix" I posted earlier and try setting your PCI root UID in your DSDT as suggested in that guide.

If that doesn't help, I don't know what to tell you.

I didn't have any issues when updating to 10.6.8 apart from the display freeze issue on "pci configuration begin" during verbose boot. This is fixed by adding npci=0x2000 to kernel flags in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

I finally got the App Store to work. I installed SL again on another HD. Updated to 10.6.7 and got the app store, just wanted to confirm it worked. I also noticed in SL I had en0 on my network. I copied the Network.plist from my SL to Lions Library, Preferences, System Configuration. I then went to com.apple.Boot.plist in my EXtra Folder on Lion and added

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</key> 

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>1</string>

It works perfect now...cant wait to download Lion thursday, hopefully.

Here are the two files if anyone wants to try on their system

AppStoreFiles.zip