[Guide] Lion on GA-EP45-UD3R - very close to perfection

Squirrelf

304 posts in this topic

I'm connected to a gigabit switch, and my link speed said 0mb/s as well. It worked just fine, and I didn't test the real throughput speed, but I changed it manually to 1000mb/s just in case ^_^

What about this ethernet driver? http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

I thought this was an "upgrade" for the RealtekR1000SL.kext, and I was actually using this in SL (migrated from RealtekR1000SL), have you tried it?

yes, I tried it, worked well

right now I'm actually using the AppleRTL8169Ethernet (created by realtek themselves)

all 3 drivers I know are equivalent, only difference i noticed is realtekR1000sl has wake on lan disabled

yes, I tried it, worked well

right now I'm actually using the AppleRTL8169Ethernet (created by realtek themselves)

all 3 drivers I know are equivalent, only difference i noticed is realtekR1000sl has wake on lan disabled

Okay, could you post a link to that driver? Does it work directly from /Extra, and do I need/want to have EthernetBuiltIn enabled in org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Isn't it a disadvantage that the realtekR1000sl has WOL disabled? ^_^ Or is it just a precaution because it wouldn't work anyway? I was using it on SL so I'm quite interested in getting it working again.

Thanks for your efforts on getting Lion to us UD3R users by the way, really appreciated!

Great guide!

Worked almost perfectly for me: I have a 8800GT (G92) card with two 22" monitors connected, and only one of my monitors is working. The one that is working however is at full resolution and accelerated. I tried using my EFI string from my 10.6 install (removed <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>), but it didn't work - do I need to remove the <string>y</string> after it?

Edit: wouldn't let me attach my boot.plist ;/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Great guide!

Worked almost perfectly for me: I have a 8800GT (G92) card with two 22" monitors connected, and only one of my monitors is working. The one that is working however is at full resolution and accelerated. I tried using my EFI string from my 10.6 install (removed <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>), but it didn't work - do I need to remove the <string>y</string> after it?

Edit: wouldn't let me attach my boot.plist ;/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I fixed this by installing "NvEnabler 64.kext" found

here. I also added these lines in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string></string>

In addition, I added the EFI string (found it using EFIstudio) (<string>EFI hex code</string>) for my card underneath <key>device-properties</key> in com.apple.Boot.plist.

This should work with all 8 and 9 series Nvidia cards, hope it helps!

Okay, could you post a link to that driver? Does it work directly from /Extra, and do I need/want to have EthernetBuiltIn enabled in org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Isn't it a disadvantage that the realtekR1000sl has WOL disabled? ;) Or is it just a precaution because it wouldn't work anyway? I was using it on SL so I'm quite interested in getting it working again.

Thanks for your efforts on getting Lion to us UD3R users by the way, really appreciated!

I chose one that had wol disabled at first, because wake on lan had issues (after a few wake on lan it would not wake up not even with mouse or keyboard, if i wasn't using wol it would always wake up from mouse or keyboard though), but i think it was due to my dsdt because since i recreated it from scratch in windows i haven't had issues, currently using AppleRTL8169Ethernet

with wake on lan enabled.

wake on lan only works with remote app

with a standard wol packet, it will partially wake up... video driver not loaded, network access partially working... (enough for remote app to wake it to a full working state, I'm unsure about file sharing working in that state), that half sleep state is born from a "feature", i just wish it could be disabled (maybe in an update)

what i need to figure out is the what i guess is a bonjour wake on lan packet. which is triggered after the standard wake on lan to fully wake the computer, and create an wol iphone app with both packet being sent...

static ip seems to confuse mdnsresponder after a sleep/wake, thus lose partial dns service, either waiting will autofix itself (can take 5sec or 5min), killing the mdnsresponder (from activity monitor) seems to accelerate and fix the problem almost instantly (most of the time but not always), all three seems to have the problem

dhcp does not have this issue (had it once with a driver but can't remember which, so far AppleRTL8169Ethernet has been good to me, currently using for last few days)

all three works from E/E

AppleRTL8169Ethernet - comes from realtek's website, the installer puts that file in s/l/e inside ionetworkingfamily in the plugin folder, I extracted it, reverted ionetworkingfamily to original state and put that file in extra/extensions instead, and it works. wol works

RealtekRTL81xx - comes from lix2mac driver - no noticeable differences so far compared to AppleRTL8169Ethernet

RealtekR1000SL - work like the other ones with wol disabled

LAN.zip

dsdt_ep45_ud3r_f12.zip

Hi.

First off al... Great guide!!!

I didn't want to open another topic, because I used this method to install the Lion on my config.

Everything was installed normally, I got true the boot screen and into the Os itself.

I rebooted it, just to be shore that everything is ok...it did boot ;)

then i did a transfer of the old files from the migration assistant...rebooted and it worked.

I left the computer run true the weekend and I did not want to wake after sleep.

When i did a force shutdown I got this kernel panic(see picture).

Can anybody help me with this one?

thank you,

Emac

post-171185-1312789349_thumb.jpg

just remove the appleHDA.kext. For that boot with -s

You mean remove voodooHDA kext right? After all, that is what is causing the panic. Plus AppleHDA will be required for the other audio install options discussed in this thread...

You mean remove voodooHDA kext right? After all, that is what is causing the panic. Plus AppleHDA will be required for the other audio install options discussed in this thread...

hmm..

VoodooHDA is in conflict with AppleHDA, choices are:

- remove AppleHDA (use VoodooHDA for sound)

- remove VoodooHDA (patch AppleHDA for sound) (recommended?)

- rename Device (HDEF) in DSDT to something else and use VoodooHDA for sound (if you have to :)

Thank you Swavek...will try that :D

greetz,

E

Well this thread is for the GA-EP45-UD3R. but I see you have the GA-EP45C-DS3R. Doesn't matter as both use the ALC889a audio from Realtek. Ditch Voodoo audio, make sure you have your sound patched correctly for 889a in your DSDT and follow my message over here to get your audio working correctly again. INCLUDES front headphones, woohoo!

Any updates on the WOL / auto-sleep problems? Aren't these problems OSX86 specific, and not only board specific? Which would mean other people are looking for answers as well?

Not anything that I could find.

I haven't look more into wol due to lack of time these days. (what needs to be done as I said before is looking at how remote does wake the computer successfully)

But I would rather wait for the next osx update 10.7.1 if it exists or 10.7.2... (hopefully for option in system pref regarding half-sleep which seems to be the real issue regarding wol and possibly related to autosleep)

Hi Guys, following this guide to the letter (I think) but I'm having trouble getting the installer to boot. I've experienced several different causes for it stopping in my efforts to fix it but there does seem to be an element of randomness in it, sometimes it gets stuck on some PCI Configuration thing, though a restart and reseating of the USb stick seems to fix this. Other than that I either get a kernel panic or a quick restart without any prompt. When I was getting the kernel panics it seemed to mention drivers for my sound and my wifi so I've disabled the sound and removed the wifi card and it seems to have narrowed it down to the auto-reboot thing. I've managed to film it and provided a screenshot of the last bit of text before the screen blacks out but I can't really see anything that would indicate to me what's going wrong.

If anyone could take a look I'd appreciate it.

qsmgeh.jpg

i want install on this laptop can you help me

lion installing on the disk screen

start 22 minute and shut down at 15 minute

core i3 370m 240 ghz

ati 5470

intel hm55

samsung r540 motherboard

broadcom 4313 wirelles

marwell yukon ethernet

Hey guys, I'm back. Been running SL but finally decided to update to Lion and was soooooooo thankful to see Eliade had written a guide for Lion.

Anyway, everything worked perfectly until I just updated to 10.7.1 and then I lost sound (everything else is fine).

Any suggestions? Do you think I just need to redo the sudo commands for the xml files and the ALC885_889a.kext?

Cheers,

Steve

I posted a fix for this (ALC889a) a few posts previous to this one, SEE HERE!

So I just want to verify the steps involved on your fix.

Currently I have an AppleHDA from Eliade that is in E/E, so the fix you suggest is to get the AppleHDA (from here) and replace the one in S/L/E with it and then go back to the last working LegacyHDA from my SL drive and install it in E/E. I suspect I must also then delete the current AppleHDA from Eliade that is in E/E.

Is this correct?

Hi, Eliade! Thank you for the easy to follow guide. I'm only having one problem. My nVidia gtx260 is absolutely NOT being recognized. At all. Says I have 5mb of VRAM and only gives me a resolution of 1280x1024.

Everything else is working flawlessly. Any ideas? Thank you!

EDIT: It's working now with NVEnabler!

So I just want to verify the steps involved on your fix.

Currently I have an AppleHDA from Eliade that is in E/E, so the fix you suggest is to get the AppleHDA (from here) and replace the one in S/L/E with it and then go back to the last working LegacyHDA from my SL drive and install it in E/E. I suspect I must also then delete the current AppleHDA from Eliade that is in E/E.

Is this correct?

Yes remove that AppleHDA in E/E and if you have a patched or modified one in S/L/E remove that too. Install this new one in S/L/E and install the LegacyHDA that worked for you in SL in E/E. Repair everything, cross your fingers and reboot. Works for me perfectly on a GA-EP45C-UD3R motherboard (we share the same ALC889a sound as the one for this topic.)

Yes remove that AppleHDA in E/E and if you have a patched or modified one in S/L/E remove that too. Install this new one in S/L/E and install the LegacyHDA that worked for you in SL in E/E. Repair everything, cross your fingers and reboot. Works for me perfectly on a GA-EP45C-UD3R motherboard (we share the same ALC889a sound as the one for this topic.)

bigpoppa206 thanks so much.

These added sound features (pardon the pun) sound cool, so I'll need to give this a try.

I actually just went ahead while waiting for your reply and just reinstalled the sound commands from Eliade's original (the replacing the xml files thing) and that got my sound back.

However, those of course do not provide the improved sound options you touted, so as mentioned I'll give those a try this weekend and see if they work.

But for those who just want basic sound back after the 10.7.1, you can just follow the exact same directions you have for the original install of 10.7.

Cheers,

Steve