304 posts in this topic

GA EP45-UD3LR 1.0

Intel Q9550s

8GB Ram

AMD 6870 Sapphire

lan, audio, sleep, trim running without troubles

greetings

Franky

hi franky, can you please post your smbios.plist? my hackpro reports back as "macbook". it's only cosmetics, but it would still be interesting for me. :)

secondly: i see that you overclocked your fsb to 450. how is that working out for you? i have the same processor with e0 stepping and was thinking about doing the same...

cheers from Frankfurt, cizko

OK guys. I need some help. I've only spent about 5 hours on this problem, but that part of the fun. I updated to 10.7.2. I cannot get sound. I have tried, I think, every kext I could find. I accidentaly screwed :P up my backup from 10.6.8 of the only woking audio kext I had. The one listed in the guide does not work for some reason. I tried Kakewalk, didn't work. Tried the one from SL 10.6.8 pack. didn't work. I have a GA-EP45-UD3R version 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The update to Lion so far has been great. This one issue is killing me. I know everyone out there has been in this place. ;)

Yes, I've tried also the r1200 build but wasn't work for me, the only one that works for me is the one I've posted!

Seems like I've solved the last problem that I have had following again step by step your guide... (the installation would finish in about 3 minutes)...

thanks for your feedback,

1200 seems to work well for me

just in case I posted both in the first post, thanks

OK guys. I need some help. I've only spent about 5 hours on this problem, but that part of the fun. I updated to 10.7.2. I cannot get sound. I have tried, I think, every kext I could find. I accidentaly screwed :( up my backup from 10.6.8 of the only woking audio kext I had. The one listed in the guide does not work for some reason. I tried Kakewalk, didn't work. Tried the one from SL 10.6.8 pack. didn't work. I have a GA-EP45-UD3R version 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The update to Lion so far has been great. This one issue is killing me. I know everyone out there has been in this place. :)

delete extentioiin.mkext if you have it

copy my applehda to S/L/E

run kext utility

reboot

if still doesn't work

try putting both applehda and ALC885_889a in S/L/E

then run kextulitity again

reboot

it should work... unless for some odd reason you don't have a 889a

Hi

thx from vienna for the great tutorial! my lion is running :)

GA EP45-UD3LR 1.0

Intel Q9550s

8GB Ram

AMD 6870 Sapphire

lan, audio, sleep, trim running without troubles

greetings

Franky

Can you wake from sleep with the Power Button? Wake on LAN?

What's the general consensus regarding cartri's BIOS; should I use it with my UD3R or not?

I recently migrated away from it, and installed the F12 stock BIOS again, and I'm just using DSDT and other kexts at the moment. Things working just as well (maybe even a bit more stable).

I'm about to install Lion soon, but I'd like to hear your comments on this first.

Thanks for all the work you've put into building a working Lion system!

What's the general consensus regarding cartri's BIOS; should I use it with my UD3R or not?

I recently migrated away from it, and installed the F12 stock BIOS again, and I'm just using DSDT and other kexts at the moment. Things working just as well (maybe even a bit more stable).

I'm about to install Lion soon, but I'd like to hear your comments on this first.

Thanks for all the work you've put into building a working Lion system!

I was using Carti's BIOS for the longest time, but when I went to test Lion, I installed the Stock F12 - no real reason, except the tutorials were all based on stock BIOS & had a (presumably) good pre-made DSDT. Since Carti isn't supported anymore, I figure going back to stock is safest until I get a Sandy Bridge rig at some point in the future.

That said, my GA-EP45-UD3R rig with a Q9550 overclocked to 3.5 GHz was running Lion like a champ when I tested it this week. A bit of a pain to install (Lion's fault), but once I got the Chameleon problems sorted out, all is smooth sailing.

Lion on the other hand... still not sure about it for now...

@cizko: here my smbio:

<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>02/29/08</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>G88014V4XYK</string>

overclock work fine, stress test under windows 20h without a problem when the cpu-cooler is good :(

@nissefar: sleep work and wakeup with power button also. but i must press a key on keyboard after power button, then the machine comes up. wake over lan i never tested, sorry

greetings from vienna

franky

PS: sorry for my bad english

@nissefar: sleep work and wakeup with power button also. but i must press a key on keyboard after power button, then the machine comes up. wake over lan i never tested, sorry

Well then you have the problem too. Your power button and PCI cards including ethernet is unrecognized by Lion as the Wake Reason when waking up from sleep.

I'm running Cartri's BIOS and installed 10.7 with this guide, no problem. I'd revert back to stock BIOS but I'm in a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" state right now.

If you have Cartri then it probably won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't install it just for this or whatnot.

@cizko: here my smbio:

overclock work fine, stress test under windows 20h without a problem when the cpu-cooler is good :(

thanks for reporting back, franky. :)

(und ja, der kühler ist ein alpenföhn...) :)

I noticed something interesting, regarding wake on lan

a regular wake on lan app on ipod touch / iphone will not wake my computer with the current driver and still need human interaction (ie pressing a key to fully wake it up).

however at least with the current driver, the application remote on ipod touch / iphone will fully wake the computer from sleep (as long as the remote app was syncked with itunes on the same computer, however itunes did not need to be running to waje the computer, of course the remote app won't be happy because it won't find itunes running if it is not, but at least the computer is up[ and running fully from sleep...), console does show a wake on lan, I wonder how remote it doing to wake the computer, it would be great if we could listen to what wake on lan packet it is sending to succeed at waking it up... there must be two different packet, a regular wake on lan to wake up hardware, then a second one specific to mac os x to finish waking up instead of going back to sleep

edit

found this feature today that I didn't know about before, which explains some things

a standard wake on lan probably happens and computer set it to this low power wake mode, and then for a full wake there must be a second mac os specific "wake on lan" packet, since the computer is at this point running it is not limited to ethernet wake on lan standardized packet...

Low-power wake

In OS X Lion, your Mac can wake up for services such as file sharing, backup, and more without the need to turn on the monitor or attached USB devices.

I noticed something interesting, regarding wake on lan

a regular wake on lan app on ipod touch / iphone will not wake my computer with the current driver and still need human interaction (ie pressing a key to fully wake it up).

however at least with the current driver, the application remote on ipod touch / iphone will fully wake the computer from sleep (as long as the remote app was syncked with itunes on the same computer, however itunes did not need to be running to waje the computer, of course the remote app won't be happy because it won't find itunes running if it is not, but at least the computer is up[ and running fully from sleep...), console does show a wake on lan, I wonder how remote it doing to wake the computer, it would be great if we could listen to what wake on lan packet it is sending to succeed at waking it up... there must be two different packet, a regular wake on lan to wake up hardware, then a second one specific to mac os x to finish waking up instead of going back to sleep

edit

found this feature today that I didn't know about before, which explains some things

a standard wake on lan probably happens and computer set it to this low power wake mode, and then for a full wake there must be a second mac os specific "wake on lan" packet, since the computer is at this point running it is not limited to ethernet wake on lan standardized packet...

Low-power wake

In OS X Lion, your Mac can wake up for services such as file sharing, backup, and more without the need to turn on the monitor or attached USB devices.

1. If you press the power button, what happens? Does the system wake up with graphics?

2. If you do WOL, how fast will the system return to sleep from the low-power, graphics suppressed state? Almost instantly, or does it follow your "Energy saver" panel settings?

3. Using the Remote to wake the system, isn't that through Bonjour, and doesn't that require "Wake for network access" checked in the "Energy saver" panel? If yes, what network driver are you using that allows you to check that button? I use lnx2mac, and that driver does not make that checkbox appear, so I'm pretty sure I can't wake it through a Bonjour proxy (ie. using Remote app).

For those with sound issues see this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19468

Essentially, the pre-existing audio drivers don't work in Lion on some boards (or for some reason). This has you uninstall all of them and then re-install using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Finally got it working on my board. Possibly add this to the first post so others don't have to go through these steps.

Great guide!

Seems to be working just fine on my Gigabyte GA-EP45T-EXTREME.

Audio and network works, haven't tried PATA yet.

On little problem tho...

I have a "2x Realtek 8111C chip" and with the RealtekR1000SL.kext my ethernet is showing in "Bluetooth-PAN". No big problem since internet is working fine, but it is annoying when it is showing wrong in network settings.

I removed RealtekR1000SL.kext and installed RealtekRTL81xx.kext instead and now it is showing under Ethernet instead of Bluetooth-PAN. Works!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1697107

In Disk Utility format you Install Disk with Mac Os Extended (Journaled),

-- GUID partition table -- 6GB minimum -- any name as it will change later --

-- MBR not tested yet, let me know --

(this must be the first partition of your disk if you have multiple partition)

(can be USB or internal, can be Flash drive or HDD)

I can tell you and everyone else that MBR install is working perfect. Installed using the files provided by Eliade in the first post. Also, on my (MBR) disk, lion is installed on my second partition, not the first. Worked anyway.

Hello, thanks for the guide first off... I am not sure what I am doing wrong, i followed all of the steps, but when i go to install, it gets stuck at 4 minutes, and just stays there. has anyone else had this problem?

.... ok so i just waited it out for quite a long time.... now it says install failed mac osx could not be installed on your computer.

the installer encountere an error that caused the instalation to fail. :(

Hello, thanks for the guide first off... I am not sure what I am doing wrong, i followed all of the steps, but when i go to install, it gets stuck at 4 minutes, and just stays there. has anyone else had this problem?

.... ok so i just waited it out for quite a long time.... now it says install failed mac osx could not be installed on your computer.

the installer encountere an error that caused the instalation to fail. :(

strange

maybe your copy of lion is somehow corrupted, I would start totally fresh re-downloading lion if that is possible

could someone try removing ALC885_889a from extra/extensions

(and of course from s/l/e if you have it there)

because I realize i probably removed it by mistake and sound is still working perfectly well (possibly due to a dsdt fix, so it has to be with the provided dsdt or similar enough)

could someone try removing ALC885_889a from extra/extensions

(and of course from s/l/e if you have it there)

because I realize i probably removed it by mistake and sound is still working perfectly well (possibly due to a dsdt fix, so it has to be with the provided dsdt or similar enough)

Yes, sound is working without ALC885_889a. With only a modified AppleHDA i S/L/E

dsdt.aml_better_F12.zip

anyone willing to try and report any issues on my new dsdt (F12 bios with ga-ep45-ud3r only)

this one should be cleaner... it was made in windows 7 with latest bios using dsdt auto patcher

comparing the two there are actually many differences, my currently posted dsdt (in 1st post) was not created as cleanly...

(and bios does make a difference in creation of dsdt there was a few more lines with F11)

for me it seems to be working just as well, if not better, there are not as many hack to it, since I'd rather keep it to a minimum, as far as i can tell everything is the same

actually when using AppleRTL8169Ethernet, I don't have any more problems with wake on lan, before it would eventually not respond to wake on lan or not even wake up with the mouse, the power button would react but actually restart the computer...

so I might put that one back in the pack... it was created by realtek themselves...

and with it there is a new option in system pref, "startup after power failure" I don't know if it is of any use with our hackintosh but anyway it is there

sound may or may not be working without ALC885_889a with this dsdt

have to check it

Yes, sound is working without ALC885_889a. With only a modified AppleHDA i S/L/E

thanks for confirming it

now I wonder if not having it has something with sound assertion error during boot, i do have the error right now, but does not affect functionality in anyway...

Anyone with a EP45 UD3P board care to attach their original and modified dsdt (DSDT auto patcher version preferred) - I want to compare with mine.

Good to see you around again Eliade.

Any tips on getting USB3 PCI-e card working?

Eliade, I followed your guide, can you check your ethernet auto-negotion speed?

Applications -> Utilities -> Network Utility

Link Speed: 0Mbit/s

My actual operating speed was 100Mbps, I had to go to advanced and manually set it to 1000base-T...

System Preferences -> Network -> Ehternet -> Advanced -> Hardware

Configure: Manually

Speed: 1000baseT

Duplex: full-duplex

MTU: Standard (1500)

Once set to the network utility reports:

Link Speed: 1Gbit/s

A small problem, I got everything installed, but Chameleon doesn't seem to read my com.apple.boot.plist in my Extra folder at all.

First I thought there was some problem with GraphicsEnabler, but when I put in the command straight into Chameleon, at boot, the graphic's worked just fine. Anyone else experienced anything similar? And is it a Chameleon RC5 1200 specific problem?

SOLVED: Right, so I renamed com.apple.Boot.plist -> org.chameleon.Boot.plist (and installed Chameleon RC5 r1269), now it read the plist fine and I have a properly working Lion.

Only error I got was about the "device-properties" string in the boot.plist, which it complained not having a key for (which is the case) - is the device-properties string obsolete, or do I need something to support it to make it work?

Eliade, I followed your guide, can you check your ethernet auto-negotion speed?

Applications -> Utilities -> Network Utility

Link Speed: 0Mbit/s

My actual operating speed was 100Mbps, I had to go to advanced and manually set it to 1000base-T...

System Preferences -> Network -> Ehternet -> Advanced -> Hardware

Configure: Manually

Speed: 1000baseT

Duplex: full-duplex

MTU: Standard (1500)

Once set to the network utility reports:

Link Speed: 1Gbit/s

my link speed says 100

but I'm connected to a 100 router anyway right now, maybe if i was connected to my 1000 switch it would go to it automatically...

but i don't have a second computer at this point to use the switch... so i don't know

my link speed says 100

but I'm connected to a 100 router anyway right now, maybe if i was connected to my 1000 switch it would go to it automatically...

but i don't have a second computer at this point to use the switch... so i don't know

I'm connected to a gigabit switch, and my link speed said 0mb/s as well. It worked just fine, and I didn't test the real throughput speed, but I changed it manually to 1000mb/s just in case ^_^

What about this ethernet driver? http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

I thought this was an "upgrade" for the RealtekR1000SL.kext, and I was actually using this in SL (migrated from RealtekR1000SL), have you tried it?