[Guide] Lion on GA-EP45-UD3R - very close to perfection

Squirrelf

304 posts in this topic

First off, I'd like to thank you for the guide.

I've been having an issue trying to install Lion on my system. Specs are:

-E8400

-EP45-UD3P

-HD4870 512MB

I've followed this guide and tried around 4 times. When I boot my system with the flash drive plugged in, I get stuck at the initial motherboard splash screen. My guess is that it is Chameleon because I've tried a different version of Chameleon and my system gets past the splash screen. Yet even with a different version of Chameleon, the USB Drive isn't recognized as a bootable disk. I had Snow Leopard installed previously, but I've since wiped it.

Could you please help me out with this issue? Thanks in advance.

you are right, I actually installed mine with a sata drive, not usb

I did noticed that problem with a usn version i wanted to do, at first I thought it was a specific HDD, but then happened on a second one with osx lion install stuff.

It may be due to GUID and multipartition, is that your case ? if you are willing to try do a single partition.

or maybe flashdrive vs usb HDD, I'm not sure

but I understand you are using a flashdrive right, not usb HDD... so then this is not the problem...weird

here is my easy workaround:

if you had a second partition on that usb hd, hopefully blank, delete it in diskutility and recreate it (the GUID table will be re-written and computer will boot with connected USB drive, don't reinstall chameleon of course, or it will break again), but you won't be able to boot from it... I know it is odd, I'm a bit confused at why

if not that start again the guide without installing chameleon, but still do put the Extra folder in it along with mach_kernel

with another small thumbdrive, have a minimum 32MB usb flash drive

format it in GUID (using partition tab in disk utility)

install the chameleon on it (if chameleon is not happy, first create blank Library folder, and try installing it again)

drag the extra folder on it

with showallfileutility, drag mach_kernel to the root

reboot -> F12 -> and boot on that flash drive -> at chameleon screen choose the "Mac OS X Base System"

I'm going to try if that work

EDIT: just tried it it worked !

you are right, I actually installed mine with a sata drive, not usb

I noticed that problem, at first I thought it was a specific HDD, but then happened on a second one with osx lion install stuff.

It may be due to GUID and multipartition, is that your case ? if you are willing to try do a single partition.

or maybe flashdrive vs usb HDD, I'm not sure

here is my easy workaround:

if you had a second partition on that usb hd, hopefully blank, delete it in diskutility and recreate it (the GUID table will be re-written and computer will boot with connected USB drive, don't reinstall chameleon of course, or it will break again), but you won't be able to boot from it... I know it is odd, I'm a bit confused at why

if not that start again the guide without installing chameleon, but still do put the Extra folder in it along with mach_kernel

have a minimum 32MB usb flash drive

format it in GUID (using partition tab in disk utility)

install the chameleon on it (if chameleon is not happy, first create blank Library folder, and try installing it again)

drag the extra folder on it

with showallfileutility, drag mach_kernel to the root

rebbot F12 and boot on that flash drive at chameleon screen choose the "Mac OS X Base System"

I'm going to try if that work

EDIT: just tried it it worked !

On my HDD, I have 3 partitions: Snow Leopard, Windows 7, and a 200GB FAT32 Data Partition to use between the two. Could that be the issue? Do I have to just use a single partition? I'm a bit confused.

By the time I get this to work, Retail Lion will probably be out :D

Thanks!

-HD4870 512MB

If you're using Eliade's Extra folder, delete the NVtext.kext (may be inaccurate, as I deleted it already...) I had a problem with it being present when using it with my ATI HD 4870. [system Hangs] the stock kexts will produces very workable results for you.

S_L

I didn't see that it was a ud3lr, I thought it was typo at first... the guide is designed specifically for ud3r, similar board like yours will need some minor tweaking depending on the small differences..

that is why it is not working, like you said you have an ALC888, ud3r has a ALC889a

and the driver i posted is specific to 889a

so in your case upon successful install,

1. Install chameleon again, but this time on the freshly installed Lion
  2. Copy my extra folder my Extra folder to the root of the installed Lion drive (if an Extra folder already exists replace it)
  3. unzip sound_and_bonjour.zip
    -follow the instruction for bonjour (either using the installer if it works, or doing it manually, explained carefully in the readme doc)
    -DO NOT follow instruction for sound
  4. at the root of your drive in Extra/Extensions delete appleHDA and delete ALC885_889a
  5. Bin_ALC888_AppleHDA_Lion_11A459e.zip
  6. unzip and put in respective folder (one in S/L/E other in E/E)
  7. run kextutility
  8. reboot
  9. go to sound system pref and set correct output (if the kext worked)
  10. if your sound is broken after lion update, just replace applehda in s/l/e with the one provided in this post

reason why AppleHDA is pink is to differentiate it, it actually does nothing in E/E and can be deleted, and must be copied to S/L/E or following the instruction (more universal since it is valid for future updates without having to wait for me to post the patched one, in case if the 10.7GM applehda patched one doesn't work anymore), but anyway that is only for us with ALC889a

Ok just to let you know, I tried that too but it didn't work either. The good news is that Sunlizard's method of Trifecta ACL8xxHDA.kext (e/e) , AppleHDA.kext (s/l/e), HDAEnabler888.kext did it wonderfully.

I might add that my machine works really smoothly, it even sleeps automatically without problems.

All in all I'm happy as a baby! Thank you all so much for helping!

If there was any chance of installing mac osx on my lenovo x100e I would be even happier:-)

To save anyone from having to hunt.

This includes my DSDT.aml (EP-45T-UD3L) and the ACL888 kexts.

CROSS-THREAD ALERT: These are for a different board than ELIADE's ORIGINAL POST!

Hope this helps others as much as Eliade's original helped me,

S_L

You saved my life with the trifecta thing. Thank you. I have the same mobo as you and I'm still using eliade's dsdt and everything works, should I switch to yours? Do you have sleep working and everything. Also is there a way to compile these audio kexts so that everything works immediately upon install. Do you think it could be fixed by patching dsdt? You think you could do it?

Okay,

So I just tried installing Chameleon on a separate flash drive and that didn't work. I suppose the only culprit is my multiple partitions.

I'm confused, let's clear things out again:

1/ you can't go beyond post screen, right ? not even past HDD detection during boot, right ?

2/ SL/7/fat32 are all on one single HD, but that drive is internal right ? if so there won't be a problme.

3/ this internal drive is MBR not GUID, right? if so don't forget to use OSXinstall_MBR, but that os not the problem yet anyway

4/ the drive you formatted that had Lion installer, is a USB flash drive or USB HDD ? it is not an internal drive, right?

5/ that USB drive with lion instaler, is GUID or MBR ?

6/ is there multiple partition on that drive, or am i totally confused and the drive you have Lion installer is on the same drive as SL, 7, Fat32...

To save anyone from having to hunt.

This includes my DSDT.aml (EP-45T-UD3L) and the ACL888 kexts.

CROSS-THREAD ALERT: These are for a different board than ELIADE's ORIGINAL POST!

Hope this helps others as much as Eliade's original helped me,

S_L

I posted your zip to my second post, below the guide :gun:

You saved my life with the trifecta thing. Thank you. I have the same mobo as you and I'm still using eliade's dsdt and everything works, should I switch to yours? Do you have sleep working and everything. Also is there a way to compile these audio kexts so that everything works immediately upon install. Do you think it could be fixed by patching dsdt? You think you could do it?

1) If you're happy where you are with functionality, mosec, I wouldn't worry about tweaking dsdt.aml Hardware wise, you should be fine but you never know (this works with F7 BIOS rev for this board. I don't expect much if anything would have changed for the most recent Rev (10) but my philosophy is, its not broken, don't fix it...

2) I'm not 100% certain, but I think while my system sleeps just fine, the HDD's may not sleep independently, I'll have verify that later.

3) I think you'd still have to replace the AppleHDA.kext from the original base install (you could try looking into replacing that when you add OSXInstall.mpkg to the /Packages/ on the base system, but I think that would require a bit of heavy-handed Pacifist manipulation. Alternately, as soon as Lion goes to retail, I'm sure MrJanek and his band of merry OSX fans will be updating Kakewalk to automate the process.

4) I can patch a dsdt.aml with the tools that the community has available as can anyone with a couple hours of boredom. There are several good threads on that subject alone (I learned it all on this site!) The DSDT.aml provided for the 45T board was all done with guides from here and tools!

I'm confused, let's clear things out again:

1/ you can't go beyond post screen, right ? not even past HDD detection during boot, right ?

2/ SL/7/fat32 are all on one single HD, but that drive is internal right ? if so there won't be a problme.

3/ this internal drive is MBR not GUID, right? if so don't forget to use OSXinstall_MBR, but that os not the problem yet anyway

4/ the drive you formatted that had Lion installer, is a USB flash drive or USB HDD ? it is not an internal drive, right?

5/ that USB drive with lion instaler, is GUID or MBR ?

6/ is there multiple partition on that drive, or am i totally confused and the drive you have Lion installer is on the same drive as SL, 7, Fat32...

Great news! I got it working!

I used a different version of chameleon on a seperate thumb drive and it booted flawlessly! I'm currently copying my data to an external so I can start fresh. I'm going to use OSX 24/7 seeing as that I only used my Windows 7 partition for games and the only games I play are TF2 and CS:S, which are available through Mac now. Thanks for your help!

i've got everything working except the internet and file sharing with windows, which was previously working with snow leopard.

can anybody confirm that others having the same problem or not???

If you mean 'internet' as in "any wired or wireless networking" - I can confirm that Wired Marvel 10/1000 ethernet hardware works just fine with Eliades's included e/e kexts.

With windows file sharing - I have no data. I have connected a NTFS formatted drive via USB and it works reads normally. as far as SMB shares, I (thankfully) have no Windows machines to test with anymore!

If we use the retail install that was just released to the public by apple will we be able to update to the newest version. The reason for my question is that the final release seems to be a lower build number than the GM. However if the setup detects an internet connection it will update, so hmm I wonder if we can update through the software updater...

Got a problem with to Boot USB Stick on GA-P45-UD3LR after setup on (8.1 GB SMI USB DISC Media) like you did describe here .

When I plug this USB to the PC and restart, my PC halt and I must press Reset button and it halt again until I unplug the USB.

So I did reformat the Stick to Mac OS Extendet Journaled then I did restart my PC until it comes to Memory Count, then I hit F12 and I can choose the USB stick to boot.

So again I setup the like the stick you describe here and the same {censored} happend. The PC just halt after grafik post messages. Usually the Memory starts counting. but again nothing pc just hold. alt + ctrl + entf (del) does not work. I got to push the reset button.

I did try until now several USB Media without success for example like a 300 GB extern USB HD and a 16 GB USB Stick same problem here.

Cant believe it. I have no answer solution at all. I could throw my pc out of the window :-(

The only solution I see right now is to create 2 partitions on my HD. One with at least 8gb. On this partion I bring everything on it like described here in the awsome tutorial

But how can I boot from USB?

Try a newer build of Chameleon had to use 1035 on my ep45-ud3p.

I did use Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083.pkg

Anyway I did try Kakewalk 4.0 now and it is working. No problem at all.

Now I can boot from USB.

I can't tell whats diffrent in Kakewalk 4 because you just hit some buttons thats all.

I did use Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083.pkg

Anyway I did try Kakewalk 4.0 now and it is working. No problem at all.

Now I can boot from USB.

I can't tell whats diffrent in Kakewalk 4 because you just hit some buttons thats all.

Glad you got it working I should have said 1135 not 1083 :)

Hay man, great Guide, thanks, but I have little problem here!:-)

So I can't get sound out of the system, in System Profiler, or System Report (they call it now) under Audio I can see my things, but at System Preferences "No Outpot Device".

First I tried with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]+xMove+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], everything worked fine besides of sound, after I repleaced everything with your things still everything seems to bee god, besides the sound thing....

So what can I do?

THX

Thanks heaps !!!

Great guide and it works 100%

Amazing effort mate. Works perfect for my EP45 DS4P with HD 6870.

Have not tested sleep/shutdown/reboot but all the rest works OK.

Enjoy Lion guys !!!

Thanks heaps !!!

Great guide and it works 100%

Amazing effort mate. Works perfect for my EP45 DS4P with HD 6870.

Have not tested sleep/shutdown/reboot but all the rest works OK.

Enjoy Lion guys !!!

does dual display work with the 6870?

does dual display work with the 6870?

Yes. It does.

Everything works perfect, including shutdown/restart/sleep.

ALS 889a only front speaker or only back speakers, but probably will need to play with the outputs.

Can anybody help me?

I'm trying to instal the final release of lion on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3R that has the cartri's Mac BIOS v0.8; I'm using my Macbook and a Verbatim 8GB USB pen drive.

I've followed the guide but I can't install the OS because when i plug in the Usb pen and I turn on my PC it stop on the bios splash screen!! (if I take off the USB pen the pc turns on perfectly) I think There is probably a bootllader problem..

Thanks in advance!!