[Guide] Lion on GA-EP45-UD3R - very close to perfection

Squirrelf

304 posts in this topic

Where is the extra folder created on the USB? I installed Chameleon, but did not see a Extra Folder.

the provided installer for chameleon does not always create an extra folder, chameleon is before all a boot file (and other files deep down in the folder hierarchy), just use my extra folder as a base (if you are using the ex58-ud3r, then your sound might not work 888 vs 889a on our board, and you need your own dsdt, besides that the kext I provided may work on your board, you have the same lan card)

Everything works perfect for me, only thing is the auto sleep and the annoying login screen that pops up every time it wakes up after a sleep.

auto sleep, I'm still looking for a fix

regarding the login I don't have the problem, try my sleep enabler maybe

Stable, fully functional Lion 10.7 on GA-EP45-UD3R

I have been running versions of hackintosh since 10.4.4. After a week of testing, I can now certify as stable my Lion 10.7 GM install on the GA-EP45-UD3R; all installed software is working properly -- at least, to my own high standard. (I used Leopard for one and one-half years, and Snow Leopard for about two years in rock-stable configurations; Snow Leopard was on this same motherboard through 10.6.8.) I also transferred the boot drive to a new Intel SSD, which of course is nice, and a bit faster.

System is running in 64bit mode now (I was only able to run 32bit in 10.6, due to older .kext)

Use this above guide for your initial install.

{EDIT 7-19-2011}

I am getting a good result now using the Extra folder provided dated 7-17. I removed the blue sensor .kext, which caused a kernel panic for me. I have attached my Extra folder here.

You might just install this folder and then rebuild cache.

I have been using the Tonymac utility (google) on a couple of installs this year for my kids, and find it very useful, and very carefully maintained and updated. I suggest you try it for the system utilities, Kext installs, etc. I have used it for this install. It allows you to rebuild caches on a disk other than the active boot disk.

The FakeSMC.kext in the folder is the latest release from tonymac, version 3.1.0 Revision 493. The AppleHDA.kext is the 10.7.0 kext version patched for the 889a with the .xml per the instructions above in this install guide. You may need to install it in S/L/E, but also keep the patched copy in /Extra. If needed you can reinstall in S/L/E after any updates. It works for me.

I have tested the Chameleon boot loader suggested above, Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083, and the current version of the Chimera boot loader from Tonymac. Either works with Lion. The DSDT.aml used here is the one supplied in this guide; I have used my own patched DSDT.aml from 10.6.8 with equal success -- they are about the same. My BIOS version is F12, but nothing changed in the DSDT between bios version F6 and F12 -- I say that based on my patching experience.

Only complaint with Lion: The boot time did increase, it doubled, with 10.7 install vs. 10.6 (where I used the Netkas EFI 10.x with Aserbn boot file) -- boot time went from 25 secs on 10.6.8 to 50 secs on 10.7 using a WD1001 boot HD. But on Lion Sleep is now working without Sleepenabler.kext.

HOW TO AUTO SLEEP -- EASY!

This is a problem with real Macs, too. There is a free, stable and mature utility called PleaseSleep (http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/) that I used in 10.6 for a couple years, and it works perfectly in 10.7, too. Some programs will block auto sleep if there is background activity. With PleaseSleep you can specify which programs you want to allow to block sleep (disk writing, video rendering, bittorrent client, etc...). The current version of PleaseSleep specifically supports 10.7. It works perfectly to allow auto sleep via system preferences panel settings. (This assumes sleep is working for you in the manual mode, which it should be.)

Trackpad

I have purchased and installed the Apple Magic Trackpad. Yeah, very very cool. BUT... But not very ergonomic. Fun to play with, but tiring to use. I find I prefer my 8-button mouse, set up with Steermouse software (latest version which specifically supports 10.7); the custom programmed mouse buttons allow me to call all the Lion screen/widow shift functions. The mouse is not as cool, but for fast desktop work, it wins, hands down over the track pad. And yes, sometimes I give the pad a quick swipe just for kicks.

Tested Software

I have tested the latest version of the following non-Apple software with this 10.7 install, and found no problems yet:

MS Office 11

Adobe CS4 (PS and DW are all I use)

VM Fusion

Toast 10

All the Apple stuff (iLife '11 and basic installed software) seems to work fine. I have had Preview crash on a few huge pdfs, but it restarts properly and quickly.

Solving all Network Problems Permanently

My internal ethernet works fine, but there is another solution. Just spend $12 on a compatible PCI network card -- the TRENDnet Gigabit PCI Adapter Card TEG-PCITXR is recognized by all versions of OSX, and works flawlessly without any messing around -- Bonjour etc all work. Turn your internal ethernet off in BIOS after installing, and system will use the Gigabit PCI.

General Tips on Installs

NEVER install to your primary drive, or a drive that has data you care to preserve. Protect your old system! Get a spare disk, and do the install to the spare. If you are a real NOOB, disconnect your primary drive before you do this install to prevent disasters. When you have the system working on the spare drive, you can use CarbonCopy to transfer it to the desired final drive location. Trust me, it will save you hours of disaster cleanup.

Do NOT do an upgrade install on 10.6.8. While it may work, your chance of buggy issues is much higher (it did NOT work for me -- on boot, VMFusion would hang the boot on my test effort at an update install). Trust me. Do a clean install of 10.7, use Migration assistant to import your User and Documents (and nothing else, not programs, not settings...). THEN reinstall your programs one by one and check. Your user migration will usually carry over all your registrations, preferences and settings for the reinstalled programs. If you are having strange problems, and you used the Migration assistant to transfer settings and programs, then start again -- you probably imported some of those problems. Just import the user and documents, nothing more!

Thanks for the guide, and the continued work on getting things fully functional.

Extra.zip

UPDATES

July 11, 2010

Updated guide, new EXTRA folder (updated dsdt, and different network kext), simply replace the Extra folder

July 10, 2010

Guide is out...

Nice guide, however you might want to edit the year to avoid confusion.

I'm running UD3P which should be the same as the UD3R (only difference should be the built in security). System is perfect including autosleep/wake from sleep

only Kexts I have right now are:

/S/L/E:

ALC885_889a

RealtekR1000SL

/E/E/

FakeSMC

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

Why are you still running NullCPUPower? Latest Chameleon should be all you need

EDIT: + Need the AppleRTC Patch: sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

UPDATED EXTRA FOLDER:

two version, one with kext for CPU/GPU/NB temperature info

and other with minimum kext...

thanks to jdxxx for pointing out a neweer version of fakesmc

and kmare for pointing out that nullcpupower is not needed (but only with correct settings in boot.plist)

same as kmare, i use UD3P model mobo. all seems working great for now. only my probs is i cant connect to internet cause i use usb wimax. no driver yet i think ;) will get lan connection soon. big thanks to Eliade for the tips.

Hi, first of all thanks for your great tutorial. It helped a lot.

My motherboard is ga-ep45-ud3lr so basically the same as yours. I followed your tutorial to the letter but cannot get the sound working. I have SL running on the second parititon and was messing around with the s/l/e folder copying things back and forth and at one point got the sound working and decided to clean reinstall everything but now I don't have sound again. I'm going crazy right now but with all that messing and changing things I can't remember what gave me sound. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks again

Hi, first of all thanks for your great tutorial. It helped a lot.

My motherboard is ga-ep45-ud3lr so basically the same as yours. I followed your tutorial to the letter but cannot get the sound working. I have SL running on the second parititon and was messing around with the s/l/e folder copying things back and forth and at one point got the sound working and decided to clean reinstall everything but now I don't have sound again. I'm going crazy right now but with all that messing and changing things I can't remember what gave me sound. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks again

whatever you did before...

-download my new Extra folder, and replace the one you have with it, or at least the extension folder, also delete extension.mkext if you have one in Extra

-then drag the AppleHDA from my extra/extensions folder into S/L/E (you may keep a copy in Extra, may be useful for 10.7.x updates as a quick fix)

-if you have ALC885_889a in S/L/E, remove it, having the same kext in both S/L/E can sometime be conflicting, AppleHDA doesn't have this conflict, but I didn't test if ALC885_889a does, since it worked well form Extra)

-run kext utility, the one in my first post

-reboot

-go to system pref and set the correct output

let me know if you still don't have a list in your sound system pref...but you should

Thanks for the guide. It got me to a point where I have a fresh semi-working install of 10.7 on my UD3P.

However, my 9800 GTX and Ethernet cards are not working (onboard and my PCI RTL8169).

It seems that the built in card isn't recognized at all and the PCI card doesn't have sensing capabilities. It won't detect when a cord is connected/disconnected, and I've seen it grab a private 169.* address.

For the graphics card I have tried my old DSDT.aml and the one included in this thread (as of 07/17).

Any pointers to get my graphics working? Right now I have a USB ethernet adapter, so that is a decent work around.

EDIT: No idea whats going on here, when I restore my Extra folder from snow leopard, my graphics card works?

@drewjacksOn

On my UD3P I'm using Cartri's .8 BIOS so it may not be the same for you but to get my graphics card 9800 GT I needed pciroot set to one in my com.apple.boot.plist and for the on board Ethernet I have RealtecR1000SL.kext along with IONetworkingFamily.kext which it depends on in E/E though I assume if RealtecR1000SL were in S/L/E it would work also. All is working fine. Part of Plist below.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</key>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

My system is working when I restored the smbios.plist from my old system. Not sure why this is apparently so important, but graphics worked after moving it into place (graphicsenabler=y in boot.plist).

Also, I was able to get my PCI ethernet card working by using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install the official RTL8169 drivers.

Sound works after I moved AppleHDA.kext and ALC* to /System/Library/Extensions

So I had some time today to install Lion and followed the guide line by line and everything worked without a single issue. I installed to MBR, so the USB drive I used was also formatted for MBR. I haven't done much testing yet, but considering the success rate so far in this thread I don't anticipate any problems. I'll keep you all posted as any issues arise.

My mouse (logitech) had the scrolls reversed, and the touchpad section under system prefs where you can normally change the scroll direction was empty, so I used a small utility called Scroll Reverser (http://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/).

Thanks to Eliade for the initial guide, and thanks to all who contribute to insanelymac.

kk

I might as well throw in a quick hint...

To smooth out fonts on some low quality third party displays like the one I'm using (Asus VH236H), use this terminal command "defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2" and reboot. Apparently some monitors are detected as CRT's and the font smoothing is shut off by default.

btw... the install has been working flawlessly over the last few hours of testing/setup. I've also noticed that Lion has a much faster startup and shutdown compared to SL. I'm running on a dual boot SSD alongside Win2008r2, but I was also running SL on the exact same drive/partition and it's just so darn smooth.

whatever you did before...

-download my new Extra folder, and replace the one you have with it, or at least the extension folder, also delete extension.mkext if you have one in Extra

-then drag the AppleHDA from my extra/extensions folder into S/L/E (you may keep a copy in Extra, may be useful for 10.7.x updates as a quick fix)

-if you have ALC885_889a in S/L/E, remove it, having the same kext in both S/L/E can sometime be conflicting, AppleHDA doesn't have this conflict, but I didn't test if ALC885_889a does, since it worked well form Extra)

-run kext utility, the one in my first post

-reboot

-go to system pref and set the correct output

let me know if you still don't have a list in your sound system pref...but you should

Hey, thanks for your reply. I tried what you said but nothing! Could you please be more specific what exactly i should do upon successfull installation.1) Copy extra to root of partition 2)...

Also my mobo is ep45-ud3lr has Realtek ALC888 codec, lion says audio ID: 885 does that make any sense?

Also appleHDA.kext is marked pink while others are marked green in the extra folder?

I'm going to do a clean install and wait for your instructions. Thanks for your time

Hey, thanks for your reply. I tried what you said but nothing! Could you please be more specific what exactly i should do upon successfull installation.1) Copy extra to root of partition 2)...

Also my mobo is ep45-ud3lr has Realtek ALC888 codec, lion says audio ID: 885 does that make any sense?

Also appleHDA.kext is marked pink while others are marked green in the extra folder?

I'm going to do a clean install and wait for your instructions. Thanks for your time

I didn't see that it was a ud3lr, I thought it was typo at first... the guide is designed specifically for ud3r, similar board like yours will need some minor tweaking depending on the small differences..

that is why it is not working, like you said you have an ALC888, ud3r has a ALC889a

and the driver i posted is specific to 889a

so in your case upon successful install,

1. Install chameleon again, but this time on the freshly installed Lion
  2. Copy my extra folder my Extra folder to the root of the installed Lion drive (if an Extra folder already exists replace it)
  3. unzip sound_and_bonjour.zip
    -follow the instruction for bonjour (either using the installer if it works, or doing it manually, explained carefully in the readme doc)
    -DO NOT follow instruction for sound
  4. at the root of your drive in Extra/Extensions delete appleHDA and delete ALC885_889a
  5. Bin_ALC888_AppleHDA_Lion_11A459e.zip
  6. unzip and put in respective folder (one in S/L/E other in E/E)
  7. run kextutility
  8. reboot
  9. go to sound system pref and set correct output (if the kext worked)
  10. if your sound is broken after lion update, just replace applehda in s/l/e with the one provided in this post

reason why AppleHDA is pink is to differentiate it, it actually does nothing in E/E and can be deleted, and must be copied to S/L/E or following the instruction (more universal since it is valid for future updates without having to wait for me to post the patched one, in case if the 10.7GM applehda patched one doesn't work anymore), but anyway that is only for us with ALC889a

Great Guide.

Completed via your direction on GM Lion. GA-EP45T-UD3L.

Used your Extra V2. (17 Jul)

My Mods:

ACL888 for sound vice yours. At kexts dot com. Trifecta ACL8xxHDA.kext (e/e) , AppleHDA.kext (s/l/e), HDAEnabler888.kext (s/l/e) DSDT.aml for my board. (didn't try yours, since I know mine has worked in previous versions.)

Sleep Works fine.

Have yet to try time capsule. Icons are normal.

3 issues.

1: for my board IOUSB is squirrelly. First time I plug in a new USB device, I Kernel Panic and crash. If I boot with (the device installed) no problems. Can hot swap at will -- no crash.

2: Sound. Resolved as discussed above.

3. Used my backup dsdt.aml from previous build ( have to figure out if i need to change to support sound options but since it works right now, I'm happy for the time being.)

Thanks a bunch! Hope this helps others.

S_L

First off, I'd like to thank you for the guide.

I've been having an issue trying to install Lion on my system. Specs are:

-E8400

-EP45-UD3P

-HD4870 512MB

I've followed this guide and tried around 4 times. When I boot my system with the flash drive plugged in, I get stuck at the initial motherboard splash screen. My guess is that it is Chameleon because I've tried a different version of Chameleon and my system gets past the splash screen. Yet even with a different version of Chameleon, the USB Drive isn't recognized as a bootable disk. I had Snow Leopard installed previously, but I've since wiped it.

Could you please help me out with this issue? Thanks in advance.