[resolved]After upgrade to Lion GM, can not login Mac App Store

caching

41 posts in this topic

Yes, done all that.

I've scheduled a support call with Apple for 12:15 today so we will see if they can help. If not I will just have to do without iCloud and the App Store I guess. It just seems to ironic to me that these services will not run on an Apple branded Mac and yet so many on these forums have been able to get them to work.

OK well the Apple support guy was next door to useless. He is having an iCloud tech call me at 3:15.

I've been doing some more research on the internet and these forums and it seems it might be possible to add a device-property string to my boot.plist (or something like that) which would maybe help things.

Also I read a little something about something called "Patching DSDT" to make non-Apple hardware look like Apple hardware.

I downloaded EFIstudio to try to make the device-property string, but when I select "Ethernet" from the drop-down menu, it doesn't seem able to find the PCI card. If I click on the "PCI Info" icon, I get a message saying, "LSPCI driver not found! Please install lspci package to use this function." I have no idea what this means.

Any help appreciated.

I can't help you past my experience which was at NetworkIntefaces.plist and IOBuiltIn.

Yeah, it is ironic, but keep in mind that the PCI extension card you are using is not the one that was originally in your mac. That makes it external, therefore its IOBuiltIn will be kept false.

If your PCI worked correctly in 10.7.1, I would roll back to that version although it doesn't have iCloud which is quite only needed if you have an Apple phone, or other of their products.

I can't roll back to 10.7.1 on this computer because I went straight from Snow Leopard to 10.7.2. I do have an iPhone and iPad so iCloud would be nice--plus I have apps I've purchased from the app store.

Thanks for all your efforts. I'll see what the iCloud people say.

Okay, enough with this. Listen up at the back of the class.

EthernetBuiltIn=y is a Chameleon boot loader configuration flag. It will not work on a real Mac because real Macs don't use Chameleon.

Device Properties strings (AKA "EFI strings") in com.apple.Boot.plist will not work on a real Mac because they are parsed and injected by the Chameleon boot loader. Real Macs don't use Chameleon.

Editing NetworkInterfaces.plist and rebooting will not work on a Hackintosh or a real Mac. This plist merely reflects the current configuration, it does not determine it, and it is auto-regenerated on boot. This is why it helps deleting it after you have made the modifications that are required for your ethernet to be seen as built-in.

DSDT editing will not work on a real Mac because there is no immediate way to inject a modified DSDT. On a Hackintosh, the Chameleon boot loader does that...real Macs don't use Chameleon.

Edward:

The only way you can do this is to either have your broken built-in ethernet repaired or somehow make OS X think that your PCI ethernet card is built-in. However as you can see, you can't use any of the various ways that are available to users running OS X on a PC.

It is possible to boot a real Mac using Chameleon but I would not recommend it unless you know what you're doing.

If you feel like experimenting with this, please for your own sake, and I cannot stress this enough, do not install Chameleon on any of your internal drives. Do an experimental install on an external drive until you get the hang of it.

I thought it would be listened by real Mac bootloader (or ROM? idk) in the boot.plist.

No...I can't believe I'm writing this here..

OS X does not know what GraphicsEnabler, Device-Properties strings or EthernetBuiltIn is. The code that make those work is part of the Chameleon boot loader.

Most people don't appreciate that Chameleon does much more than simply boot OS X, and that it (and these flags) exists because of architectural differences between Macs and PCs, for the purpose of getting your hardware working when running OS X on a PC.

Read everything in the "Darwin" section on this page:

http://tgwbd.org/darwin/

OK thanks for the very helpful information Gringo.

I have been on the phone with iCloud support for an hour and a half and they have put my iCloud account into troubleshooting mode and escalated it to their engineers.

Looks like I will not be able to use the App Store or iCloud on this computer. Oh well. It's not the end of the world I guess.

I have never priced having the built-in ethernet fixed but I'm assuming it's way more than the $100 I paid for the PCI ethernet card.

Thanks again.

I have been on the phone with iCloud support for an hour and a half and they have put my iCloud account into troubleshooting mode and escalated it to their engineers.

That's very interesting. If they provide you with a software solution I would like to hear about it. Actually..however it turns out please post here and let us know. It could be helpful to many of us here.

OK I will let you know. I talked to them on Thursday, and they said an engineer should get back to me within two business days. The senior advisor I spoke to gave me her direct phone number and email address. She logged into my computer using remote access and observed my screen so she could see the error messages I was getting from both the App Store and iCloud.

Someone on the Apple Discussion forums reports that he also has a Mac Pro with dead onboard ethernet, and when he called Apple about not being able to access iCloud/App Store, they told him to just get a PCI ethernet card and all would be well. But it's not. So he, too, is looking for some kind of software solution to this problem.

I called an Apple Authorized Service Provider about fixing my ethernet and they told me I would need a new motherboard, and frankly I'd be better off buying a new computer.

Building my own Hackintosh is looking more and more attractive at this point.

Oh and by the way, I can still log in and out of the iTunes store, and deauthorize/authorize my Mac Pro for iTunes. How weird is that?

• 4 weeks later...

HI guys.. i have the same issue. Its driving me mad. Even called apple support and they can't seem to help me.

I have a mac pro (so its not a Hackintosh) that got hit by lightning a a few years back.. my computer is was fine apart from the NIC been fried... I can't afford to replace the whole motherboard so I need up buying a PCIe sonnet ethernet card. the app store work fine with snow leopard but once i upgraded to Lion it stopped working.

I've tried to remove NetworkInterfaces.plist and also removed all my connections and then added my ethernet card first many many times... but it still doesn't work. I think the problem is my card is registering as a built in card.

here is what my network looks like 20111123-rh8n8umrrb1tcr9y9d53anb9yw.jpg

and my NetworkInterfaces.plist has this inside

"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Interfaces</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

AB5Sci4U

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP04@1C,3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ARPT@0/AirPort_AthrFusion21/AtherosFusion21Interface</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceInfo</key>

<dict>

<key>UserDefinedName</key>

<string>Wi-Fi</string>

</dict>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>IEEE80211</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

AArNFMaI

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P9@9/IOPCI2PCIBridge/P9P2@0/IOPCI2PCIBridge/P2P3@0/IOPCI2PCIBridge/PXS4@0/AppleRTL8169Ethernet/IOEthernetInterface</string>

<dict>

<string>PCI Ethernet Slot 4</string>

</dict>

<string>Ethernet</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>fw0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

<integer>144</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

AB/z//4YWtI=

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP03@1C,2/IOPCI2PCIBridge/FWBR@0/IOPCI2PCIBridge/FRWR@0/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireLocalNode/IOFireWireIP/IOFWInterface</string>

<dict>

<string>FireWire</string>

</dict>

<string>FireWire</string>

</dict>

</array>

<key>Model</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

"

if anybody has an idea on how to fix this please let me know.

Thanx

• 2 weeks later...

OK I will let you know. I talked to them on Thursday, and they said an engineer should get back to me within two business days. The senior advisor I spoke to gave me her direct phone number and email address. She logged into my computer using remote access and observed my screen so she could see the error messages I was getting from both the App Store and iCloud.

Someone on the Apple Discussion forums reports that he also has a Mac Pro with dead onboard ethernet, and when he called Apple about not being able to access iCloud/App Store, they told him to just get a PCI ethernet card and all would be well. But it's not. So he, too, is looking for some kind of software solution to this problem.

I called an Apple Authorized Service Provider about fixing my ethernet and they told me I would need a new motherboard, and frankly I'd be better off buying a new computer.

Building my own Hackintosh is looking more and more attractive at this point.

Oh and by the way, I can still log in and out of the iTunes store, and deauthorize/authorize my Mac Pro for iTunes. How weird is that?

OK well after weeks of playing phone tag with an Apple support rep who obviously didn't care about my problem, I gave up. I eBayed my Mac Pro (with full disclosure about the dead ethernet, Lion problems, etc.) and have assembled my own Sandy Bridge Hackintosh. Works great and all is good.

• Like 1