OpenGL only Works AFTER Single User

brockwitting

23 posts in this topic

Ok, I have been struggling with this for a few hours, so I figured I might as well just ask. I have Lion installed (GM) and I have a GeForce GTX 570. I have full graphics acceleration by adding my device ID to the kext. This worked great after install, I played SC2 beautifully and everything was rainbows. After I rebooted however, I lost openGL support, Chrome would crash, the whole system becomes unstable and goes down. Rebooting into safe mode, then rebooting again does not fix the problem, however, booting into single user mode, mounting the hard drive, then giving it the exit command to boot, DOES fix the problem. I have tried repairing permissions multiple times, booting with the -F flag, and a few other things, but for some reason, after every reboot, I MUST use single user mode (just boot into it, mount the hard drive, and exit) in order for my card to function properly. Does anyone have any idea why this could be, or how to fix it so I don't have to keep doing this??

Thanks!

If anyone could even explain the difference between booting to single user then booting vs a normal reboot that would be greatly appreciated so I can try to fix this myself. I even did a clean install and the same problem is happening. Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P, Core2Quad, EVGA GTX 570 SC..

If anyone could even explain the difference between booting to single user then booting vs a normal reboot that would be greatly appreciated so I can try to fix this myself. I even did a clean install and the same problem is happening. Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P, Core2Quad, EVGA GTX 570 SC..

i don't know if your GTX 570 is working with OSX at all.

which kexts are you using and did you try to repair the permissions with ' KextWizard ' ?

show us your ' kernel.log ', attach pls.

are you using a ' DSDT ' file ?

CooSee ' Ya

the "-X" option bypass a load of kext and load in safe mode. It mean that OpenGL will not work, Airport, sound and so on will not work too.

What boot do you use? Do you boot from CD on it's just instaled in HD?

Luck!

The 570 is working in Lion with nothing more than editing the .plist file in the GF100HAL.kext. And yes I am using KextWizard. It has been confirmed multiple times. I am using a patched DSDT, the correct one for my motherboard. The problem (I believe) lies in GeForceGLBundle getting either its permissions changed, or getting corrupted during the boot process. Even if I repair permissions from another drive, it doesn't fix the problem. I must boot into Single User mode and mount the drive to fix (after a permissions repair). Where is the kernel.log file found? I will attach it if I can find it :P

EDIT: Found it

the "-X" option bypass a load of kext and load in safe mode. It mean that OpenGL will not work, Airport, sound and so on will not work too.

What boot do you use? Do you boot from CD on it's just instaled in HD?

Luck!

I know that -X kills openGL, but it also does a bit of hard drive maintenance, the reason I even mentioned it was that booting with the -X flag, and then rebooting I still have the problem. I need to find a way to force load the kexts at every boot, because afik, the -f flag no longer works in Lion. I am using the latest revision of Cham. installed to the hard drive.

The first file is after a normal reboot, and the second (2kernel) is after booting single user so I have full acceleration.

Basically, I need a lion alternative to the -F boot flag, because that appears to not be working (might be a bug in the bootloader), but booting to single user mode force loads the kernel extensions. As some proof to this, I just entered single user mode, simply typed exit, and let it boot without modifying permissions or even mounting the drive. I have full graphics acceleration, however, it is extremely stupid that I have to do this at every boot.

kernel.log.txt

2kernel.log.txt

i don't understand why you using NullCPUPowerManagement if you got a DSDT for your System?

and did you really need ' Firewire, Serial and Parallel Stuff?

if not then you should better deactivate these stuff in BIOS.

there's definitely something wrong with your ' NVDAGF100HAL ' !

did your GTX 570 not work with ' GraphicsEnabler Yes ' ?

please attach your NVDAGF100HAL, maybe you did something wrong, no offence :(

Lion is going to all the kext at start, maybe this is the culprit.

you can prevent this, if you add ' usekernelcache yes ' (pls search for the thread about this) in ' com.Apple.boot.plist ',

but if you do so, you cant use any kext in ' /Extra/Extensions '.

CooSee ' Ya

i don't understand why you using NullCPUPowerManagement if you got a DSDT for your System?

and did you really need ' Firewire, Serial and Parallel Stuff?

if not then you should better deactivate these stuff in BIOS.

there's definitely something wrong with your ' NVDAGF100HAL ' !

did your GTX 570 not work with ' GraphicsEnabler Yes ' ?

please attach your NVDAGF100HAL, maybe you did something wrong, no offence :(

Lion is going to all the kext at start, maybe this is the culprit.

you can prevent this, if you add ' usekernelcache yes ' (pls search for the thread about this) in ' com.Apple.boot.plist ',

but if you do so, you cant use any kext in ' /Extra/Extensions '.

CooSee ' Ya

Null was just left in there as I have a partition with no DSDT that I use for quick reimaging on different systems, but I removed it anyway. The 570 does not work with GE unless you edit the plist file in the kext. And after that, it only works on the first reboot. All subsequent reboots do not have acceleration unless I boot with -f -v (the -v is actually required, I believe it is a bug in the bootloader, but -f won't work without -v), or single user mode. Using the Kernel cache does not fix the problem, I have already tried. I will attach my .kext file, but all I changed was one line in the info.plist file.

For now, booting with -f -v works, but takes longer, and I can't see the pretty apple screen, and I shouldn't have to do this. -f simply has no effect unless verbose mode is also added.

NVDAGF100Hal.kext.zip

did you try this method ?

tonymacx86 forum !

good luck :guitar:

CooSee ' Ya

That is an old post, and is snow leopard only. That is about an old Nvidia update, offers no QE/CI support, and only works in snow leopard. What it comes down to is I have discovered a bug in the bootloader, and I should prob submit a bug report to either Apple or the Voodoo team, as I am not sure who's fault it is that -f won't work in lion without the verbose option. I am assuming there is another reason I am having these issues, most likely hardware related, but the -v -f does fix the problem for now, even if the fix isn't proper. Hopefully an update to either Lion or Cham. will fix the problem

I believe I have a very similar problem! I too have a Geforce GTX570 (vendor: MSI) and any process that I think involves OpenGl would make my computer unresponsive. Opening any video game or most flash applications would freeze the computer. My chipset model is currently displayed as "unknown" even after editing GF100HAL.kext and installing ATY_Init kext. The graphics card is, however, recognized as an NVIDIA card and other than these issues I have full resolution options and I believe QE is enabled (have transparent menubar, dashboard ripple effect, etc).

I tried booting the OS with the -v -f flags and it seems to fix the problem (games and flash videos work), though obviously this is an inconvenient solution.

I believe I have a very similar problem! I too have a Geforce GTX570 (vendor: MSI) and any process that I think involves OpenGl would make my computer unresponsive. Opening any video game or most flash applications would freeze the computer. My chipset model is currently displayed as "unknown" even after editing GF100HAL.kext and installing ATY_Init kext. The graphics card is, however, recognized as an NVIDIA card and other than these issues I have full resolution options and I believe QE is enabled (have transparent menubar, dashboard ripple effect, etc).

I tried booting the OS with the -v -f flags and it seems to fix the problem (games and flash videos work), though obviously this is an inconvenient solution.

Woohoo! Someone else has this problem. I am not happy this is happening to you, just feel a bit relieved that it is not just me. lol. I have an EVGA GTX570SC. My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P. I am using the 10.6.7 kexts for IOPCIFamily and AppleACPI because even with the npci=0×2000 boot flag, I was stuck at PCI configuration begin. ATY_Init is completely unneeded btw, there is no difference. I hope we can figure out a solution to this. We actually have two problems going on. One that requires us to force load the kexts at every boot (which means we have some issue that actually needs solved) and the problem that makes the bootloader fail without the -v flag. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I am using the 10.6.7 kexts for IOPCIFamily and AppleACPI because even with the npci=0×2000 boot flag, I was stuck at PCI configuration begin. ATY_Init is completely unneeded btw, there is no difference.

You're right, ATY_Init is unneeded, so I got rid of it. I'm using the original IOPCIFamily and AppleACPI kexts from lion but also using the npci=0×2000 boot flag

I attached my kernel logs. Without the -f -v flags, running something that uses OpenGL gives me the following error:

NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

kernel_without__f__v.log.txt

kernel_with__f__v.log.txt

no offence, but can you remove the Big Logo and update your ' signature ' with the Hardware you're using ? :P ,

it'll help us to help you !

are you using current Lion with all the Updates what's available until now and are you running at ' 64bit ' ?

what about WinDows and the performance with the Card, can you play Games on Win ?

CooSee ' Ya

no offence, but can you remove the Big Logo and update your ' signature ' with the Hardware you're using ? :D ,

it'll help us to help you !

are you using current Lion with all the Updates what's available until now and are you running at ' 64bit ' ?

what about WinDows and the performance with the Card, can you play Games on Win ?

CooSee ' Ya

yes to sig. yes to updates. yes to 64bit. I have been doing this since before Apple even had official Intel systems, so I would like to think I am pretty smart when it comes to this stuff, but I can't figure out why I need the force and verbose flags in the first place, let alone fix the obvious bug in the bootloader. Awesome, the 570 rocks. I can play absolutely everything on Ultra or Extreme under Win. The performance is actually pretty great under OS X too, its just annoying to have to -f -v every damn boot.

IMHO it's a Nvidia Software Driver problem, that's happened with some Nvidia Cards, maybe you've already read this:

Discussions Apple !

you should write a Bug Report to Apple and maybe Nvidia, too, before they release Lion :dev::hysterical:

ask @MaLd0n if he can make you a better ' DSDT.aml for your Board

DSDT Auto-Patcher !

is your BIOS current ?

CooSee ' Ya

IMHO it's a Nvidia Software Driver problem, that's happened with some Nvidia Cards, maybe you've already read this:

Discussions Apple !

you should write a Bug Report to Apple and maybe Nvidia, too, before they release Lion :dev::hysterical:

DSDT Auto-Patcher !

is your BIOS current ?

CooSee ' Ya

I hate to ask specifically for something like that, although the DSDT could be at fault. It was generated using DSDT Auto Patcher (and I made sure to have not been using a DSDT when I generated it) My BIOS is current (There are 0 revisions. hahah)

can you try your Card on the second PCI-E slot if there's the same behavior ?

and maybe you should also turn things off that you don't need, e.g. FireWire, Seriall, Parallel etc.

you've got the first generation of USB3 Boards, maybe there's something wrong with the Board, just a guess!

CooSee ' Ya

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem, except I don't need the -F flag, it works fine if I boot simply in verbose mode. I tried disabling GraphicsEnabler and installing NVInjector.kext, neither of which worked; there really should be an easy fix if -v is making it work; maybe in a standard boot it's not loading something, as it seems to load "everything" in verbose and it takes much longer.