ATI Radeon HD 5870 Dual Screen not working on OSX

DanielV1

1 post in this topic

Hi there!

Firstly, I just wanted to say a big THANKS to everyone who makes up this forum/community. It's great to see people willing to help others out just for the pleasure and challenge of it.

Now, I'm new to the world of Mac and Hackintosh - I've always been a pc guy (for no other reason than that's what we always had in the house!) but my good mate has a Hackintosh that he can't get working properly. His problem is that when he tries to run dual monitors (connected via the VGA port on the back of the GFX via a splitter) only one will show.

Basically, in summary this is what happens:

- GFX to monitors via VGA and splitter - only one monitor will work while the other stays black

- GFX to monitor via VGA, and to the other monitor via HDMI - HMDI will not work stating there is no signal, VGA will work

- GFX to one monitor via HDMI only - no screen stating no signal

The system is a dual boot Hackintosh with:

- Darwin x86 boot V.5.0132

- Chameleon V2.0 RC5PRELL R151

- Snow Leopard startup disk (MAC PRO 4.1)

- Mac OS X Version 10.6.4

- Intel i7 2.94 GHz processor with 6GB ram (Corsair 1333 MHz DDR3)

- GFX - ATi Radeon HD 5870

Oh, one last thing - running on Win7 both monitors work perfectly through the splitter. I don't know why he can't have the HDMI and VGA connections working in parallel to two screens and don't know how to get this all working for Mac OSX system.

He can't find the guy that built his system last year to ask him how to get it all working, but recalls having the guy tell him not to do any OSX updates. I've been doing a bit of reading and found that this may be a common issue with the Mac version of the GFX card and that it may be fixed with the latest Mac OS X software update but I'm not very sure about it.

Can anyone please help???

Appreciate your input in advance all.

DV.