Nvidia 440GT with Lion GM

xtraa

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

after poking around for a while I'd like to share my files with you. The 440GT is not the easiest candidate when it comes to installation, because of these dsmos errors and 10 different ways to bring it to live via natit, nvenabler, efi, whatever. I found that you generally get the fastest performance when you go as much native and vanilla as it gets, so we will not use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, we will not use NVEnabler, Natit or any injector.

We just use an EFI string plus two Lion GM kexts with a little patch (read below)

So this is what I have now with my msi n440GT, see the specs in the screenshot. Make sure you have the same RAM size (1028MB) or you have to change the EFI string.

post-5400-1310116939_thumb.png

What's in there?

- The .txt file contains the EFI-String for your com.apple.boot.plist. Use google if you don't know how to copy/paste it in there.

- The NVDAGF100HAL.kext is the GM Lion version with just a simple mod at Vendor&DevID.

- The GeForceGLDriver.bundle is the Lion GM version, with the hex patch from netkas to make it work.

How do I install?

First remove any Enablers or injectors if you have added some. Also make sure that all original Geforce and nvidia .kexts that comes with lion GM are present.

The installation itself is really simple:

1. Just copy and paste the EFI-String in your /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist file. Use Google if you need details.

2. The NVDAGF100HAL.kext and the GeForceGLDriver.bundle goes to S/L/E. Backup your old versions, delete them, and use kexthelper to install this files here, repair permissions.

The kexts are really huge, still 17mb when zipped, so I uploaded them to mediafire.com. Download them here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9dpo5t55rdrzv3r/Archiv.zip

Acceleration works oob now. If you like, install the NVIDIA Cuda drivers, too. Just use the newest version from the nvidia site and ignore the fact that the 440GT is not listed there as compatible.

Have fun. :thumbsup_anim:

The .txt file contains the EFI-String for your com.apple.boot.plist.

I don't think you can just copy and paste the EFI string from one computer and put it into another. I think it works sometimes but not always. If someone wants to make their own EFI string they can see the instructions HERE. I'm not sure if it will work with the 440.

How is an EFI string more "vanilla" than GraphisEnabler="Yes"? I thought those two methods and DSDT patch were all the same.

I don't think you can just copy and paste the EFI string from one computer and put it into another. I think it works sometimes but not always. If someone wants to make their own EFI string they can see the instructions HERE. I'm not sure if it will work with the 440.

Huh!? Of course you can. Don't mix it up with dsdt.aml (what woulod be unique for some parts). There are countless tools and threads with presafed efi-string collections for years around now. For the rest, you can change the pciroot in chameleon if you like but afaik even this isn't necessary anymore. :(

How is an EFI string more "vanilla" than GraphisEnabler="Yes"? I thought those two methods and DSDT patch were all the same.

The dsdt does the same as if you would decode the efi hex back to xml. You will find the same code in the xml of the dsdt. By emulating a bios, I'd prefer dsdt over EFI string. Unfortunately it does not work every time. By more vanilla, I mean compared to injectors and enablers.

• 3 months later...

Thanks xtraa, I got the same card and would like to use it on my Core 2 Duo media player in my living room. First I need to find out how to get OSX installation running because I still got "still waiting for root device" , and when I am done with that I wil try your methode to get N440GT running.

Q: Is it smarter to fix the OSX installation first by swapping the video cards with one that is OOB and when this is done that swap the N440GT back and try your methode, or can I just try again to install OSX with N440GT installed?

Thanks for any suggestions and help. :)