[100% Working] ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

jamesst20

72 posts in this topic

Update #1 - February 16, 2013

Current best way working on Lion and Mountain Lion is to boot with these Kernel Flags :

AtiConfig=Bulrushes GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Older Post :

Hi all !! Finally got working the ATI Radeon HD Mobility 5470 !

It's working with Snow Leopard and Lion !

Instruction and download are HERE

This is a proof :

img0188un.jpg

Good Luck all !

jamesst20, I am speechless, overjoyed and full of respect! THANK YOU so very much. It works on my Sony VAIO with ATI 5470m 512MB Graphics Card. Tested and confirmed.

Front Row works, translucent menu bar, proper detection of graphics card in system profiler and full acceleration for games.

Mods, sticky this?

EDIT :

One more addition, there is a small bug. Sometimes the transparency is replaced by white opaque color, especially in the dashboard's ripple effect. Is it because I am using 889 trunk of chameleon?

Well after using it for a day, I can say it is still buggy. At least for 512MB ATI Radeon Mobility. But hey, at least a step closer to perfection! :)

jamesst20, I am speechless, overjoyed and full of respect! THANK YOU so very much. It works on my Sony VAIO with ATI 5470m 512MB Graphics Card. Tested and confirmed.

Front Row works, translucent menu bar, proper detection of graphics card in system profiler and full acceleration for games.

Mods, sticky this?

EDIT :

One more addition, there is a small bug. Sometimes the transparency is replaced by white opaque color, especially in the dashboard's ripple effect. Is it because I am using 889 trunk of chameleon?

Well after using it for a day, I can say it is still buggy. At least for 512MB ATI Radeon Mobility. But hey, at least a step closer to perfection! :)

Nice to know that it works on 512 MB too :D !

Mine is ATI 5470M 1GB :)

In my case I don't have any bug but I am using Lion 10.7GM it's maybe why :P

What version were you using :) ?

For Lion GM, all you have to do to get QE/CI is add the following to com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>

no additional kexts needed.

Snow Leopard is going to be buggy with the 5470M, just upgrade to Lion, its release is only a week or so away.

For Lion GM, all you have to do to get QE/CI is add the following to com.apple.boot.plist:

<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>

no additional kexts needed.

Really 0o ? Nice to know thanks you ! :)

Nice to know that it works on 512 MB too :D !

Mine is ATI 5470M 1GB :wacko:

In my case I don't have any bug but I am using Lion 10.7GM it's maybe why :P

What version were you using :D ?

Yeah maybe because of 10.6.8 SL. Will 512MB be bug free on Lion as well, or just the 1Gb version? I am waiting to purchase the disk as soon as it releases.

Framebuffer Personality "Hoolock" doesn't work for my HD5470M - no display at all, I use the default "Eulemur" with Lion GM, QE/CI works! Only issue now is that I cannot get screen sleep to turn off the LCD backlight, the screen will only blank out upon screen sleep activated but I can see the backlight is on. Also, screen brightless will set to max. upon every system reboot, I have to use the function key to turn it down manually. I see you guys "About this Mac" identified your machine as "MacBook" but mine is "iMac" , maybe that is an issue need to be fixed...

Framebuffer Personality "Hoolock" doesn't work for my HD5470M - no display at all, I use the default "Eulemur" with Lion GM, QE/CI works! Only issue now is that I cannot get screen sleep to turn off the LCD backlight, the screen will only blank out upon screen sleep activated but I can see the backlight is on. Also, screen brightless will set to max. upon every system reboot, I have to use the function key to turn it down manually. I see you guys "About this Mac" identified your machine as "MacBook" but mine is "iMac" , maybe that is an issue need to be fixed...

SMBIOS.plist in /Extra makes the "Identification".. some knowledge needed of which mac uses which cpu and which gpu might be handy. iMac 9,1 ( core2duo 800mhz ram ) - 10,1 - 11,1 ( Intel xeon 1300 mhz RAM ) are good for Mobility Radeon HD46xx - they all work for me perfect while the 9,1 model is best for my real cpu. My ATI is identiefied as 4670 although it is a 4650, but they are so close that it basically the same. In fact iMac has a mobility version just like our Laptops, only that Apple not uses LVDS for screen signal but "Displayport".

Lion also read the serial number in SMBIOS.plist and calculates the making year out of it. SL just takes the name of Mac-Hardware-ID Name.

A handy app that has tons of infos is "Mactracker" ( free, from Appstore ) . Or just google . You can try various SMBIOS, but be cautious : some software tie their licenses to the SMBIOS to make sure you are running only on one Mac. Might need to re-install and re-enter serials after such a change. At least OSX believes that your complete Hardware just changed ..

i updated to 10.6.8 and its works Oout of the box...

but no translucent taskbar..

i just wondering waht the hell is causing it... :D

Edit:

anyway, anyone can wake ffrom sleep with normal display?? i got distortion color when wake up..

Edit:

anyway, anyone can wake ffrom sleep with normal display?? i got distortion color when wake up..

Yes, wake from sleep with normal display here, I have distortion color before but fixed with framebuffer patch.

Yes, wake from sleep with normal display here, I have distortion color before but fixed with framebuffer patch.

:) Yes! this is exactly what I need! how did you do that? any reference?

I need to fix this.. thhis is related to ati5000controller.kext

any help would be much appreciated :wacko: ..

:) Yes! this is exactly what I need! how did you do that? any reference?

I need to fix this.. thhis is related to ati5000controller.kext

any help would be much appreciated :) ..

Can you show your video bios dump? You can dump it with radeon_bios_decode... this is related to connector type mis-match in framebuffer - in my case the build-in framebuffer use Display Port to connect my LVDS, there are limited combination of connector type + output ports came with ATI5000Controller.kext, I've to patch my own. Enable translucent taskbar need Lion GM for HD5470.

Can you show your video bios dump? You can dump it with radeon_bios_decode... this is related to connector type mis-match in framebuffer - in my case the build-in framebuffer use Display Port to connect my LVDS, there are limited combination of connector type + output ports came with ATI5000Controller.kext, I've to patch my own. Enable translucent taskbar need Lion GM for HD5470.

ok finnaly i got my dump, here it is:

ATOM BIOS Rom: 
SubsystemVendorID: 0x1025 SubsystemID: 0x0356
IOBaseAddress: 0x3000
Filename: BR37915.001 
BIOS Bootup Message: 
Acer JV41CP PARK M2 XT DDR3 64Mx16 1GB                                      

PCI ID: 1002:68e0
Connector at index 0
Type [@offset 45230]: LVDS (7)
Encoder [@offset 45234]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)
i2cid [@offset 45304]: 0x93, OSX senseid: 0x4
Connector at index 1
Type [@offset 45240]: HDMI-A (11)
Encoder [@offset 45244]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (0x20)
i2cid [@offset 45327]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1
Connector at index 2
Type [@offset 45250]: VGA (1)
Encoder [@offset 45254]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)
i2cid [@offset 45354]: 0x97, OSX senseid: 0x8

im currently on 10.6.8, waiting for lion final release this month...

im fine with no translucent taskbar : :)

Attached below is my patched ATI5000Controller.kext (Lion GM version 64bit) for HD5470 Mobility, it can be used with notebook having 3 display output ports: internal LVDS, HDMI & VGA. Please add the following to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist:

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Eulemur</string>

and use "-f -v" for the first reboot

It may not works for you because senseid of each port maybe different even for card with the same module, if it doesn't works, you need to dump your video BIOS and correct the senseid byte as shown below:

Personality of my patched framebuff appled to "Eulemur" as below:

0000000 02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 09 01 00 00 12 01 00 04

0000010 00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 20 00 01 01

0000020 10 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 10 02 08

If your video card match the following BIOS decode, it should use this patched kext without any modification:

Connector at index 0

Type [@offset 45058]: LVDS (7)

Encoder [@offset 45062]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)

i2cid [@offset 45132]: 0x93, OSX senseid: 0x4

Connector at index 1

Type [@offset 45068]: HDMI-A (11)

Encoder [@offset 45072]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (0x20)

i2cid [@offset 45155]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1

Connector at index 2

Type [@offset 45078]: VGA (1)

Encoder [@offset 45082]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)

i2cid [@offset 45182]: 0x97, OSX senseid: 0x8

HD5470_ATI5000Controller.kext.tar

System is booted, but not detected any screens. Sic. I don't have any idea to run sleep on LVDS screen ;) Modding framebuffer is not a option - it's not working for me, or I do it bad.

So what does that framebuffer patch do exactly? Is it just for those who have distortion after wake? And I wonder why different 1GB 5470's (with the LVDS, HDMI, VGA) require different personalities haha, this inconsistencies will make it interesting to tell other people what to do with this card.

Yes, I'm booting in 64bit. I try to change SenseID and nothing.

Sadly my card working semi-OK only on Hoolock :rolleyes: I trying to patch Hoolock entries but no luck.

My BIOS dump:

ATOM BIOS Rom:

SubsystemVendorID: 0x1025 SubsystemID: 0x036d

IOBaseAddress: 0x3000

Filename: BR37698.001

BIOS Bootup Message:

Acer JV52_CP PARK XT DDR3 64Mx16/128Mx16 512MB/1GB

Connector at index 0

Type [@offset 45254]: LVDS (7)

Encoder [@offset 45258]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)

i2cid [@offset 45328]: 0x96, OSX senseid: 0x7

Connector at index 1

Type [@offset 45264]: HDMI-A (11)

Encoder [@offset 45268]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (0x20)

i2cid [@offset 45351]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1

Connector at index 2

Type [@offset 45274]: VGA (1)

Encoder [@offset 45278]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)

i2cid [@offset 45378]: 0x93, OSX senseid: 0x4

Can anyone help me with this ? I runned any other thing, only wake'ing LVDS screen after sleep is not working ;)