Should I overclock my CPU?

11 posts in this topic

You won't get much more performance out of that Motherboard/Chipset. The FSB is 400, which is kinda slow now-a-days. Overclocking wont help. Plus, I don't even think you can do a hardware/BIOS based overclock on that Motherboard.

PS.: That board is so old even ASUSTeK can't find the product page.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/...mx/overview.htm

I have a PC which have a Core 2 Duo CPU.

Then why the hell are you trying to run OS X on such an outdated system? Lol. :D

I would just use the C2D PC and try to get OS X running on it. At least then you could run the Vanilla Kernel and update like a real Mac.

Conroe based cores are pretty easy to OC if your bios support the right features, mainly setting the fsb, overvolting the cpu, nb, sb, ram, change ram frequency, change ram timings, and I haven't had a C2D machine in awhile but I also assume changing the multiplier.

• 1 year later...

I would personally advise against overclocking your cpu - best thing you really can do is just get a better board and faster cpu, it doesn't even have to be top of the line nor expensive. By overclocking a older cpu u r risking stability issues and if it goes all the way wrong ur cpu will give out on you and you will be forced to replace it / upgrade anyways. If you still insiston overclocking, make sure you have beyond adequate cooling for that chip available for it will be getting probably very HOT! I did just put OSX 10.7 on a friends laptop which is fairly recent in make but yet with a older Core2Duo in it ... temperatures without OC were at approx. 158 F ... interestingly my Desktop running a Core i5 Sandy Bridge CPU hardly ever gets ever near 102 F ... so yeah older cpus run quite a bit hotter ...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A basic rule of thumb to use is - "Can I cool this CPU BETTER than the existing cooling method, if it's running at x times it's normal rate?"

Because guaranteed an older chip like that is going to get hotter than an Australian Christmas once you get it overclocked.