Share your thoughts about Lion GM

Noam AA

6 posts in this topic

so one day before GM was out, i installed DP4, to start testing,first, thanks to this awesome community for very easy installation process!

after one day with DP4 the GM went out, so i installed it, and now trying it, as my 'default' system, i already installed most of my SL stuff, and now i'm testing how everything works on the GM.

for my experience so far, some thing are really improved, but other will cause some various crashes, bugs, and other vegetables.

my first surprise was JAVA not included, and the supported java is so far, i think causing some crashing to some apps here. i haven't experienced a lot of crashes, but some application will run only on a 64 bit, and others only on 32 bit, when they did support both on SL.

other bugs i have experienced was with full screen apps (Logic and iPhoto did problems so far),some time the status bar will always show,causing my to lose some controls at the top, or it will not show at all, and alt+tab,or multitouch gestures will not exit the fullscreen app,until i press ESC key, but maybe update to all those apps will fix all mentioned above when lion will published

Other then some apps still not stable, the System is very stable, and quick, actually got 30-50 points more in geekbench

(not very much but still ;) ) And my graphic card 220GT also get somehow more quick in animations!

the very first time i run cinebench my eyes explode to see that the animation run 3x fast from what i was used to see (while maintaining same FPS Score = 20.70), but the second time i run it, it was 2x fast animation, and still same FPS.

on SL the animation is still much slower, can't explain it.

some features are really great but some as other already mentioned can be very annoying, hope they will let the user chose at final release.

one more thing that Lion doing that SL didn't is to save me from black screen of death after sleep (i almost certain it's a USB problem i'm still not able to find), but the story goes like this, when first installed Lion my WIFI USB stopped working so i had to find an alternative, it was my iPod 4, tethering wifi throw usb.

so as i already expected for a black screen of death on some wake (just to clear things, this not happening every time, only sometimes), when first happened my iPod was plugged, and after something like 5 secs i heard my iPod beeps (to tell me it tethering), 5 secs later, the computer powered down, at first i thought "well what a surprise, a shutdown" but after pressing the power button again, it woke up! :)

after that i tried to reproduce the black screen without the iPod, and the system restarted once was on the blackscreen issue, so, i still can't solve the problem itself, but i know what i need to do in order to get out of it (just plug my iPod and let it 'tether'). all this i most certain is connected to the new feature in Power Management "Restart automatically when the computer freezes"

Thats so far what i can think of, still trying various thing to see how lion handle things, but as for now seems very promising, but still think there are some bugs i hope they will not be on first real Lion

what does your experience?

Magical.

Agreed on the magical part.

So far, I've migrated all of my daily-beater applications (and most of my utilities) to Lion GM without a hitch. And by without a hitch I mean *completely* without a hitch. I'm watching "Eagle Eye" in MP4 format (saved to my hard drive) in the background (playback via VLC) with VoodooHDA controlling the AC97 audio (ALC888) while entering this. SMoother than Snow acts on the same hardware.

Scary, scary, scary.

Can't seem to figure out the slowdowns I experience. I thought it was a RAM issue, so I changed my parralells installation to use 700MB ram and 96MB videoram (I use Windows for Windows Live Messenger chatgroups).

But still, sometimes even the mouse movement slows down in a very weird way. I just can't figure out the solution to this. A restart will work, but after some down the problems are coming back. Sometimes when I close the browser(s) it fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't.

These are my specs:

Core i5 750

4GB DDR3 1333

Vertex 2 60GB SSD

500GB WD HDD 7200RPM

Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 512MB (that is what OSX says, but I think it's 256)

• 2 weeks later...
i'm using lion gm. not much changes after dp4. i've noticed stability, startup times are improved and mission control is in the dock by default. that is all i've found :)

What's more, MC is actually usable in GM (I had issues with DP2, and didn't dare try it with DP3 or DP4 - too chicken), even with low-end CI/QE-capable hardware (AMD HD5450 with ATI5000Injector.kext from Snow copied to /S/L/E in Lion; only other non-native kexts in either S/L/E or /E/E are lnx2mac's RTL811x driver kext and FakeSMC).

With Mission Control, I don't really miss Front Row.