Has anyone been able to get Lion on the Lifehacker GA-EP45-UD3P

mgnyc11

11 posts in this topic

I have the Lifehacker built pretty much exactly as described. I tried upgrading via numeroud methods and get "Lion cannot be installed on this system"

Any ideas? I would like to try to upgrade but can do a clean install if necessary.

Thanks.

I have searched the forums and cannot find this MB mentioned.

I have the Lifehacker built pretty much exactly as described. I tried upgrading via numeroud methods and get "Lion cannot be installed on this system"

Any ideas? I would like to try to upgrade but can do a clean install if necessary.

Thanks.

I have searched the forums and cannot find this MB mentioned.

Try this guide it worked for me. WATCH the video!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=260594

the only extra things i did were:

1.* If you have problems in installation with the message "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer", replace the file "OSInstall" in the folder System/Installation/Packages by this...

zip.gif OSInstall.zip ( 654.04K ) Number of downloads: 2593

2. Then after install i used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to get Ethernet and sound to work.

good luck.

Few things i've noticed so far with this board using Lion GM

* Wake after sleep causes CMOS reset in this board on next reboot

* Lan doesn't work without installing a kext (used to work just fine with DSDT patching)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is a standard Lifehacker/Pash Hackintosh, 8gB of Patriot 800mHz RAM, with the addition of a TP-Link wireless card and an AtherosFix.kext. Wireless works like Airport. Two years of faultless operation, 7/24. I use an aftermarket Coolermaster CPU radiator in lieu of the poor one which came with the Intel Core2Quad (Q9550) 2.83gHz CPU. I use a wireless Bluetooth mouse with an IOGear Bluetooth Micro Adapter. I do not use a trackpad. I use an SSD for the OS and apps, HDD for data.

I used the Kakewalk method which specifically supports the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard among many others. Elegant and simple compared to all the others I have seen and many of which I tried.

The biggest issue was that, try as I might, I could not download Lion from the Apple Store, so had to download it on my Mac Mini and copy the file to a USB stick before doing the install on the Mini. (The installer file is trashed once the install is done, so copy it first). If you have no Mac then an alternative will be to buy the Lion USB stick when Apple issues it soon and extract the installer file from there.

The other snag I ran into is that I could not make the Kakewalk USB installation drive bootable. (I actually used an 8gB SDHC flash memory card as I do not have a USB stick). I used Chameloen RC5-r1083 which I found I had to run on all bootable drives in my system. To get around the unbootable USB issue, I created a partition on the Hackintosh's HDD and used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the USB stick to the partition. (If you do a simple file copy you will miss invisible files essential for this installation, most importantly the mach.kernel). The partition was bootable and after booting from it and getting a long stream of text the install went fine. The USB installer had to be removed or the Hackintosh would not boot at all.

Sleep did not work, causing the BIOS to reset on awake, but after using Kext Installer to install this replacement SleepEnabler.kext all was well.

Sound and wireless worked out of the box. I have not tested wired broadband.

I run three displays, two off the Nvidia 9800GTX+ card and the third via a DisplayLink USB-to-DVI adapter. The third monitor did not work until this new driver was installed. That also restored function to the USB pass through ports on my Dell 2209WA displays. (The two links in this paragraph display ads when you hover the cursor over them. I do not know why and this is not of my doing).

I also use a Newer Technology USB 802/11n wireless USB dongle (MacSales) which uses Ralink software. I had to update that from the Ralink site to get the dongle to work. The dongle is considerably faster than the internal TP-Link Atheros wifi card, and also provides a backup if the internal card should fail.

The only remaining anomalies are:

1 - Full sleep is only available when invoked from the Apple menu or via the key on my Kensington USB keyboard; timed sleep through System Preferences->Energy Saver does not switch off the HDDs or fans

2 - The Sony SDHC card reader installed in the case and wired directly to a USB connector on the motherboard does not work. Not a big deal - I simply use an SDHC card reader plugged into one of the USB pass through ports on one of the Dell monitors, which is easier to access in any case.

Every 64-bit app (Apple apps, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3, etc.) runs in 64-bit mode and OpenGL works properly. I use TrimEnabler to get TRIM on my SSD boot drive, though it's only rated through 10.6.8 at this time.

Geekbench reports 6801 with Lion compared to 6889 for 10.6.7 and there is no noticeable performance difference. Cinebench reports unchanged graphics performance.

My thanks to the many great members here whose debates made this all possible.

Update on wired Ethernet: The stock installation disabled the Ethernet ports on the motherboard, System Profiler reporting none present. Installation of the RealtekRT81xx.kext from Kexts.com, using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from TonyMac, fixed the issue. If your EP45-UD3P mobo is BIOS rev 1.6 the on board Ethernet ports work fine. If it's v. 1.1 I have read you have to use a separate TrendNet Ethernet card. I'm using 1.6.

• 2 weeks later...

Oveclocking the Core2Quad CPU:

Details of how to overclock the Intel Core2Quad 2.83gHz (Q9550) COU to 3.60gHz are here. I use a $30 Coolermaster 212 CPU cooler in place of the stock Intel one. Heat management is outstanding and test results on Geebenck and Cinebench are competitive with some of the latest, fastest Macs. The Coolermaster is exceptionally efficient but requires removal of the motherboard to install and needs a deep case to accommodate its height. I use an Antec Sonata III case.

My EP45-UD3P system is as far as I can tell fully functional with Lion. I no longer use Stell's v3 package as I wanted complete control and easy upgradeability.

"My" method is cobbled together from excellent guides by MaLd0n and blackosx and I am in the process of trying to document it for a couple of people on here...