Anyone interested in Asus P5QLPro Lion GM Installation?

15 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody

Here it is my method of installing Mac OSX Lion Gold Master to my Asus P5QL-Pro System. Everything works fine, super fast, reliable (better than original Mac Pros in this category), noticeably faster, smoother than Snow Leopard, or Leopard.

My system:

- Asus P5QL-Pro

- Intel Core2Quad q9550

- 3 sata hard drives

- Geforce 9800 gt 512 mb

- 4 gigs Corsair ddr2

- Builtin ethernet with real mac address (for Time Machine and other stuff it is necessary to have it correctly) and sound

----------------------------------------------------------

Please download my attachments first (you will find them at the end of this post). I provided everything you will need.

I assume you have a working Snow Leopard system, I do not know if this method works with Leopard, probably works.

My easy guide to install Snow Leopard Retail, including links to install Leopard Retail in case you need them.

My first tutorial on installing Snow Leopard Retail if any needs it.

---------------------------------------------------------

O.k.

Use your brain, think, I don't want to write all the details you can do at your own. The exact steps and attachments are for the exact same system including graphics card, and processor. If you have a different graphics card look around first for info, and kexts.

1. Bios settings

update your BIOS version to 1004 at least, enable acpi 2, enable AHCI mode for your hard drives.

2. Download and install Pathfinder trial in order to see hidden files, mount volumes, and copy stuff.

3. Prepare your usb drive or installer partition at first with Disk Utility. Make sure you use GUID partition table (there are numerous topics on this here). I use a separate hard drive as an installer drive.

4. Open Pathfinder, mount the Lion GM dmg. Enable 'show invisible files' in Pathfinder. You will see the base system.dmg file at the root of your mounted Lion Volume. Mount this volume too. With disk utility restore this mounted volume to your installer usb drive or hard disk (partition). It is very important that you shall restore this base system volume, not the Lion GM volume. When ready, close disk utility, in Path Finder open the newly created Mac OS X Base System volume. Go to System_Installation. Delete the packages shortcut. Create a folder here, within the installation folder called: Packages. Now go back to the original Lion GM mounted volume. Copy the contents of the packages folder from here to the installer volumes packages folder you created last.

5. Install the provided chameleon boot-loader to the installer partition you created. Make sure you select that volume when installing chameleon.

6. I've provided the CopyToInstallerVolume.zip file. Copy its contents to the root of your installer volume (a machkernel file in the root, and an extra folder to the root)

7. Set your computer in bios to reboot to this volume, use your brain how to achieve this.

8. Select the mac os x base system volume in chameleon, setup os x lion, I suggest you to create here with utilities>disk utility a clean partition for your Lion install.

9. Reboot, set your bios to reboot to the original working Snow Leopard disk.

10. In Snow Leopard, install the provided chameleon boot-loader to to newly installed Lion disk.

12. Copy the contents of CopyToInstallerVolume.zip file to the root of this new Lion partition, as delineated above. If you have a different processor than mine, look around here in MaLd0n's tutorial, trash smbios.list file I've provided and use a different one from here (when the guy lists the mac computers with zip files).

13. Create a folder within the extras folder called Extensions. Copy the contents of CopyToFinalVolumeToExtra_Extensions.zip to this extensions folder.

14. I have provided an application called dsdtautopatcher. Open it, choose the mobo (Asus P5qlPro), it will create a file on your desktop. Copy this dsdt.aml file into the extras folder on Lion's root.

15. Reboot, set your bios to boot now to the Lion Volume.

16. When Chameleon boot-loader shows type this accurately:

"Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

and hit enter

It will effectively skip the welcome screen, which can cause problems, neverending welcome-loop.

17. You are in Lion now(in 640x480 mode). Reboot after Lion has loaded (No welcome screen loop, and now you are in 1024x768). Now go to System preferences, create an administrator password.

18. Double click the InstallWithKextHelperToSystemExtensions.zip to unarchive it. Open the kexthelper application I have provided. Type in your newly created administrator password, drop the files you unarchived this time, onto kexthelper, and install them.

19. Reboot. Open the Lizard utility I've provided. Set your graphics resolution, check Built In Ethernet, check Graphics Injection)

20. Reboot. Et voila> now you see the full pomp of Mac OS X Lion. Check everything, sound, ethernet, graphics, set your preferences, enjoy your new fully functional operating system.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Cheers, Proceduralmind, 4. july 2011.

under Mac OS X Lion GM

Forgive me my bad english.

CopyToInstallerVolume.zip

CopyToFinalVolumeToExtra_Extensions.zip

Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083.pkg.zip

DSDT_Auto_Patcher.app.zip

InstallWithKextHelperToSystemExtensions.zip

Kext_Helper_b7.zip

Lizard.zip

Let me know if anyone is interested in a tutorial for installing Lion GM on Asus P5QL-Pro (an easy one for dumbs like me), I did a similar one for SL, 2 years ago with all the necessary stuffs.

Lion works for me fantasticly, everything is fine, fast and reliable.

My sytem is:

Asus P5QL-Pro

Intel Core2Quad q9550

Geforce 9800 gt 512 mb

4 gig Corsair ddr2

Builtin ethernet and sound

It'll be much appreciated.

Thanks

i was able to install a fresh install of Lion using Lion USB Installer Method. it's much much simpler than Snow Leopard was...

Here are the steps on creating the USB installer:

Needed

- An existing OSX Installation: will need Disk Utility

- 8gb USB drive

- Latest Chameleon package

- Before anything else, make sure to allow display of hidden files using this script at the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Extensions used for Chameleon

Search for 'em online and make sure at least these are the latest builds. I used the same drivers I used for my Snow Leopard before.

Required Kexts (copied in Extra > Extensions)

- FakeSMC.kext - get it from Netkas

Optional Kexts (copied in Extra > Extensions)

- AttansicL1Ethernet.kext - for built-in NIC.

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - (optional) to display internal disks normally instead of orange icons

Steps:

- Acquired the Lion ZIP

- Note the image files: InstallESD.dmg and BaseSystem.dmg

- Double-click on InstallESD.dmg to mount it

- Browse the image contents of mounted InstallESD.dmg

- There should be a hidden file called BaseSystem.dmg, double-click on it to Mount

On the 8gb USB do the following

- Using Disk Utility: Restore BaseSystem.dmg to the 8gb USB

- Copy the following from the root of InstallESD.dmg file to the root of 8gb USB

.disk_label

BaseSystem.chunklist

boot.efi

kernelcache

mach_kernel

MacOSX_Media_Background.png

- Delete the Packages alias file on USB > System > Installation

- Copy the Packages folder (from the root of the InstallESD.dmg mounted image) to USB > System > Installation

- Install Chameleon pointing target to the 8gb USB

- Copy the Kext files to USB > Extra > Extensions folder (create the Extensions folder if it is non-existent yet)

- Create a com.apple.Boot.plist file using TextEdit and save it to USB > Extra folder

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f npci=0x2000</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Installation proper using the USB we created:

- Boot the PC to the USB

- At the Chameleon screen, press Enter to choose the current disk (w/c is the USB)

- OSX Installation dialog will start

- Choose the drive where to install Lion to

- Unfortunately, the only problem I saw was that you cannot customize installation

- Proceed with the installation

Post-installation phase 1

- Boot the PC to the USB

- At the Chameleon screen, choose the disk you recently installed Lion to

- OSX Lion will start

- Go through the wizards until you see the login screen, and finally the desktop

Post-installation phase 2

- Install the latest Chameleon pointing the target to the drive where we installed Lion

- At the Lion desktop, browse the USB to copy all the contents of the Extra folder to the Extra folder where we installed Lion

Reboot and enjoy ;)

FYI, my machine specs are the following:

- P5QL Pro BIOS 1004

- Q9550 @ stock

- GTX 470 @ stock

- 40gb Intel G2 SSD

screenshot20110704at105.png

This method requires no DSDT patches and no Enablers. AND IS NOT COMPLICATED. Only used the latest Chameleon and FakeSMC (as well as Attansic LAN driver)

Chameleon_2.RCr1096.pkg.zip

FakeSMC.kext.zip

AttansicL1eEthernet.kext.zip

i was able to install a fresh install of Lion using Lion USB Installer Method. it's much much simpler than Snow Leopard was...

Here are the steps on creating the USB installer:

Needed

- An existing OSX Installation: will need Disk Utility

- 8gb USB drive

- Latest Chameleon package

- Before anything else, make sure to allow display of hidden files using this script at the Terminal:

Extensions used for Chameleon

Required Kexts (copied in Extra > Extensions)

- FakeSMC.kext

Optional Kexts (copied in Extra > Extensions)

- AttansicL1Ethernet.kext - for built-in NIC

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - to display internal disks as internal disks on desktop

Steps:

- Acquired the Lion ZIP

- Note the image file: InstallESD.dmg

- Double-click on InstallESD.dmg to mount it

- Browse the image contents of mounted InstallESD.dmg

- There should be a hidden file called BaseSystem.dmg, double-click on it to Mount

- Using Disk Utility: Restore BaseSystem.dmg to the 8gb USB

- Copy the following from the root of InstallESD.dmg file to the root of 8gb USB

- On the 8gb USB do the following

- Delete the Packages alias file on USB > System > Installation

- Copy the Packages folder (from the root of the InstallESD.dmg mounted image) to USB > System > Installation

- Install Chameleon pointing target to the 8gb USB

- Copy the Kext files to USB > Extra > Extensions folder (create the Extensions folder if it is non-existent yet)

- Create a com.apple.Boot.plist file from TextEdit containing the following

Installation proper using the USB we created:

- Boot the PC to the USB

- At the Chameleon screen, press Enter to choose the current disk (w/c is the USB)

- OSX Installation dialog will start

- Choose the drive where to install Lion to

- Unfortunately, the only problem I saw was that you cannot customize installation

- Proceed with the installation

Post-installation 1

- Boot the PC to the USB

- At the Chameleon screen, choose the disk you recently installed Lion to

- OSX Lion will start

- Go through the wizards until you see the login screen, and finally the desktop

Post-installation 2

- Install the latest Chameleon pointing the target to the drive where we installed Lion

- At the Lion desktop, browse the USB to copy all the contents of the Extra folder to the Extra folder where we installed Lion

Reboot and enjoy ;)

FYI, my machine specs are the following:

- P5QL Pro BIOS 1004

- Q9550 @ stock

- GTX 470 @ stock

- 40gb Intel G2 SSD

screenshot20110704at105.png

No DSDT patches. Only used Chameleon and FakeSMC (as well as Attansic LAN driver)

Thanks for this.

I'll try it as soon as I find some free time and let you know.

Cheers

Jay

Thanks for the update. :blink:

I have installed "Lion" successfully except for the audio.

I'd like to get "s/pdif" to work for watching movies and etc.. ;)

Other than that it's working perfect!

Thanks again. :blink:

Jay

I think it can output only stereo into the green jack connector.

Thanks for the prompt reply and yes, sound works in stereo.

However, "istat" doesn't work and fans are blowing at FULL speed all the time.

It's quite noisy all 5 fans working at a full blow.

Hope I could get some more help. :D

Cheers

Jay

PS: sleep also doesn't work :D

Thanks for the prompt reply and yes, sound works in stereo.

However, "istat" doesn't work and fans are blowing at FULL speed all the time.

It's quite noisy all 5 fans working at a full blow.

Hope I could get some more help. :D

Cheers

Jay

PS: sleep also doesn't work :D

Here fans are ok, I think you shall use the correct smb for istat to work.

Have you used my method or the other guy's method?

Only yours(including "extra" you've mentioned in your tutorial)

I'd love to know how to get istat to work.

Guess I should hit search bar.

Thanks, you've been most helpful.

Cheers

Jay

Sleep does not work indeed, if you find something helpful let us know your solution. (Istat nano dashboard widget works, however fan sensors haven't been detected, probably part of the problem you are talking about)

Thank you, cheers

sleep works in my setup though, you can try my method

Thanx, I tryed sleepenabler.kext, it causes to sleep the system, however, causes some problems. I think I will slip sleep enabling, I use this machine for work, no need to have sleep. However some people needs this function, it would be a good idea to make a topic on sleep problems and solvings.

• 3 months later...

Hello, guys!

What about HDMI in 9800GT - does it work ok in 10.7?

Have the same mobo and video - hdmi works correctly only in 10.5. After connecting LCD TV via HDMI cable in 10.6 system hangs with blank blue screen - well known problem at inasnelymac (not solved yet)... That's why I had to roll back to 10.5.

Can anyone check that for me?

Thanks a lot, that's really important thing for me.

• 2 weeks later...