GA-G31M-ES2L

JoQ

49 posts in this topic

Is there anyone manage to get the audio to work on this mobo. I manage to get Lion to run but no audio yet. please share if you know whats out there will get the audio to work. Thanks.

I'm attaching the only package that worked for me. It's for this motherboard's rev 2 (mine is 2.3). You need to boot into 32bit mode since the driver inside isn't 64-bit. (I'd love if someone could make a 64-bit version).

http://www.kexts.com/view/1083-realtek_alc883_audio.dmg.html

Add arch=i386 to your boot.plist's kernel flags in Extra to make it work.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 arch=i386</string>

I'm attaching the only package that worked for me. It's for this motherboard's rev 2 (mine is 2.3). You need to boot into 32bit mode since the driver inside isn't 64-bit. (I'd love if someone could make a 64-bit version).

http://www.kexts.com/view/1083-realtek_alc883_audio.dmg.html

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Thanks you, beatoven, I have tried boot into 32bit mode but everything frozen except for the mouse, I can move the cursor around and click on anything but nothing happen.

OK, my board is almost the same as JoQ's motherboard, see my sig. below. I want to try out Lion, but have some questions.

I have the following HD setup:

1) 80GB SATA HD - Boot OS X & 2nd emergency OS X

2) 160GB SATA HD - Ubuntu Studio

3) 250GB ATA HD - Win XP & Data

I can delete the Ubuntu HD and install Lion on it if it will make things run easier. I can also load a clean version of Snow Leopard on it, to upgrade. I have Chameleon on the OS X HD, standard version installed by Lifehacker method, never upgraded. My motherboard version has Realtek LAN not Atheros. Also note I am using and iMic for sound, I didn't figure out the kexts for it.

TIA

@macusers I sent you a PM about your issue but I guess you already know the things I said since you're an "InsanelyMac Geek" and I'm just a "Protégé".

@natgab tonymac's method is what I'd use to upgrade from SnowLeo to Lion.

I will give tony's method a try, currently I just do a fresh install, I got everything to work fine except for audio, i think I have ALC883 audio chipset. Thanks again.

I will give tony's method a try, currently I just do a fresh install, I got everything to work fine except for audio, i think I have ALC883 audio chipset. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Well the ALC883 package in my previous post is the only one that ever worked for me since the Snow Leopard days and it still works, although only in 32-bit mode. Let me know if you have any luck on getting sound in 64bit.

[edit] I myself didn't use tonymac's method. I did a clean Lion GM install using the first stickied guide.

@macusers I sent you a PM about your issue but I guess you already know the things I said since you're an "InsanelyMac Geek" and I'm just a "Protégé".

@natgab tonymac's method is what I'd use to upgrade from SnowLeo to Lion.

---Will tonymac's method work with a torrented version? I want to wait and buy the USB version not just get a serial number. I will have to wait on this method otherwise untill I get the USB, I will also look into using Kakewalk since it is made for Gigabyte motherboards for now.

thanks

---Will tonymac's method work with a torrented version? I want to wait and buy the USB version not just get a serial number. I will have to wait on this method otherwise untill I get the USB, I will also look into using Kakewalk since it is made for Gigabyte motherboards for now.

thanks

Sorry I haven't try tony's method just yet, but i can tell you that Kakewalk works fine for me except for audio in 64bit mode, I manage to get audio in 32bit mode though.

Sorry I haven't try tony's method just yet, but i can tell you that Kakewalk works fine for me except for audio in 64bit mode, I manage to get audio in 32bit mode though.

Cool. I downloaded Kakewalk and couldn't get the Lion onto the USB installer. I already posted the question in the Kakewalk thread. Hopefully will get it working in a bit.

UPDATE: I got Lion to install using Kakewalk method. Please see link below for details, all my specs are in my signature:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1729928

Cool. I downloaded Kakewalk and couldn't get the Lion onto the USB installer. I already posted the question in the Kakewalk thread. Hopefully will get it working in a bit.

Did you follow instruction on the include pdf that came with the Kakewalk ?. USB has be formatted as "GUID Partition Table" first.

Here you go, digital audio, and everything works great, on Lion 64 bit or 32 bit. At least for a rev 1.1 board.

http://www.mediafire...qbf8a3l1dygmj63

awesome it works on my 10.6.8 (soon lion). im making a signature Package link for rev 1.x 10.6.8 Realtek8111c (Lnx2Mac driver), ALC883 the driver posted by JoQ here

Nvidia cards with GraphicsEnabler. ( i never tried onboard as its a headache) i have GTS 250

SMBIOS.plist of MacPro3,1

my dsdt (compare your memory in dsdt with my dsdt) i have 2gb ram

Bios F10 set HPET 64 bit , SATA Non-Combined. disable LPT and COM ports.

in 10.6.8 it shows [PCI configuration begin] then 6 seconds later desktop opens . no iopcifamily changes and NO sleepenabler (i never used it) :D

Extra folder inside zip and a few tools (EFI Mount Unmount, Kext Wizard, SHowHide Files, SMCmonitor) all but chameleon2 not included.

Not Tested with Lion Yet but should roar.. i mean work

heres newest with edit for HDEF to work for 10.7.5 codec change.. use the AppleHDA for snow or leo.. both work

http://www.mediafire.com/?w0cm213e7esg9im

G31M_ES2L_Rev1.zip

---Will tonymac's method work with a torrented version?

It should work fine if you're upgrading from snow leopard. Not that I've tried but the system won't know if it's the torrented or the appstore installer that you're launching.

Kakewalk looks interesting but doesn't have G31M-ES2L afaik.

I might try it soon though.

It should work fine if you're upgrading from snow leopard. Not that I've tried but the system won't know if it's the torrented or the appstore installer that you're launching.

Kakewalk looks interesting but doesn't have G31M-ES2L afaik.

I might try it soon though.

You might want to give Kakewalk a try if you don't get tonymac's method to work. Your motherboard is just a slightly older version than mine. I think the chipsets are nearly identical. Just choose Gigabyte G41M-ES2L as your motherboard, it should work fine. When I was installing Snow Leopard, your motherboard worked fine for others using the Lifehacker & Stellarola's Magic EP45UD3P method that I used to install.

Good Luck!

Here you go, digital audio, and everything works great, on Lion 64 bit or 32 bit. At least for a rev 1.1 board.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qbf8a3l1dygmj63

S/L/E AppleHDA isn't installing. It keeps giving me an error after authentication. Any insights on this?

Also, does anyone know how to get sleep working? Monitors turn off, but computer keeps running.

Thanks,

- Han

You're welcome. Well the ALC883 package in my previous post is the only one that ever worked for me since the Snow Leopard days and it still works, although only in 32-bit mode. Let me know if you have any luck on getting sound in 64bit.

[edit] I myself didn't use tonymac's method. I did a clean Lion GM install using the first stickied guide.

Hey beatoven, Finally I am able to get sound in 64bits by using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to installed VoodooHDA 2.7.2 to S/L/E.

awesome it works on my 10.6.8 (soon lion). im making a signature Package link for rev 1.x 10.6.8 Realtek8111c (Lnx2Mac driver), ALC883 the driver posted by JoQ here

Nvidia cards with GraphicsEnabler. ( i never tried onboard as its a headache) i have GTS 250

SMBIOS.plist of MacPro3,1

my dsdt (compare your memory in dsdt with my dsdt) i have 2gb ram

Bios F10 set HPET 64 bit , SATA Non-Combined. disable LPT and COM ports.

in 10.6.8 it shows [PCI configuration begin] then 6 seconds later desktop opens . no iopcifamily changes and NO sleepenabler (i never used it) :)

Extra folder inside zip and a few tools (EFI Mount Unmount, Kext Wizard, SHowHide Files, SMCmonitor) all but chameleon2 not included.

Not Tested with Lion Yet but should roar.. i mean work

Hey, thanks for posting a nice neat pack like that…

I have a G31M-ES2L v1.1 as well, but I'm curious about something. Up until now I've never used ACPIMonitor.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext, or NVClockX.kext (my card is an nVidia 8600GTS and works with Chameleon's nvidia boot flag). What do they do on this particular motherboard?

For those interested, I've just updated my GA-G31-ES2C rig to Lion - xBoot method, Chimera bootloader. I needed the AppleRT8169Ethernet.kext from Realtek, and Voodoo HDA. Custom DSDT. All up and running, network, audio, QE/CI, etc. Lnx2Mac did not work for me at all - no ethernet.

The only things to be careful of is that you have to have the com.Apple.Boot.plist settings right, otherwise the Lion installer will refuse to install, and also a wrong DSDT can give KPs on install.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having trouble even with getting to the installation page. I have tried many ways and methods, but my G31m-es2l is not getting me to the graphic... it seems that all goes well, until I get stuck on the black screen with a white cursor. I have tries GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No, and everything on several Chameleon versions. Anyone has a clue of what I can try?

Thanks!

I'm having trouble even with getting to the installation page. I have tried many ways and methods, but my G31m-es2l is not getting me to the graphic... it seems that all goes well, until I get stuck on the black screen with a white cursor. I have tries GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No, and everything on several Chameleon versions. Anyone has a clue of what I can try?

Thanks!

I have:

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L v. 1.4 AND v. 2.4 (have two mobos, tried on both)

Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93

ATI Radeon X1300 GPU Cards (Tried Both 128 and 256 MB)

4 GB RAM DDR2-800 crucial

Methods Tried:

Mald0n USB stick method

Hackboot Lion v. 6.2 + InstallESD DVD

Chameleon versions 752, 755, 1083, and others I don't remember

Is it the GPU card? Do I need a Nvidia? If you can help me, please, I would appreciate your ideas.

Thanks!

I have installed both Snow leopard and Lion on another Gigabyte Mobo (G41M-ES2L) and all went well after some trials... so, I'm not new to this, but I keep trying to solve this puzzle on the G31 model. As far as the G31M... I can only do Leopard without problems... but I keep trying to upgrade one machine, since I need some of SL and Lion's capabilities with a scanner. These machines fulfill different purposes.

I just cannot, for the life of me get SL or Lion installer to even display on my monitor. Any help with ideas are appreciated!

Thanks beforehand!

• 5 months later...

http://www.kexts.com..._audio.dmg.html

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

this is Azalia = only Sound out, no Mic ..

How about VoodooHDA for the rev. 2.0?

• 1 month later...

I have e2sl (rev1.0) and core2 duo ~3ghz (don't remember which one). My graphic card is radeon hd 3650 from gigabyte

Can You recommend me a good tutorial (can be from usb or dvd) to install lion (got 10.7.0? retail) on it but WITHOUT using an mac or vmware? I have only win7 computer.

I installed Lion on my GA-G31M-ES2L v1, all is ok, but i don't have sound, with yours kext or other, in 64 bit.

Any idea ?

There are several rev on this MB. for me I have to replace the "AppleHDA" kext in the S/L/E Folder with the one from snow Leopard, and also has "ALC883HDA51" kext in the E/E folder in oder to get the Audio to work in 64bits. Don't forget to rebuilt the Extensions mkext after you add and replace those kexts.