Student Notebook: Mac BookPro or PC?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all :),

I’m posting this message to ask you advices in the way of purchasing a good notebook computer. I’ll use this computer in my studies.

I’m asking the following questions:

- Does a new notebook Mac will be produced before the end of the year, and whose performances will be exceptional?

- Does Windows works quickly on Mac BookPro?

- Does a notebook PC with Mac OSx86 works fine? (In this case please tell me what the best notebook computer is for that)

Thank you for any answer :).

1. We don't know Apple's release schedule. The only one tha knows that is Apple and they ain't talkin'

2. As far as known yes, but be aware that a hacked OS (no matter how good the hack) is inherently unstable.

3. As far as known yes, but be aware that a hacked OS (no matter how good the hack) is inherently unstable.

1) Don't play the "what if" game. If you know what you'll be doing, buy what is out today that works for you and DON'T look back. There will always be something better, as soon as tomorrow or next week/month. Do yourself a favor and make up your mind to be happy with what you buy, or you are sure to suffer needless buyer's remorse, it's just a matter of time. Macs hold their value very well. If you are concerned about a good buy, look on ebay. Early adopters will sell there macs shortly after, or just before a rumored release. Remember, Applecare IS transferrable, 3 years on the machine, regardless of the owner.

2) I've switched to all macs within the last 2 years. I can say short of gaming, I can do everything that I need to do, and with fewer headaches. I do use Parallels, there are things that I just have to have windows for in order to work. I don't use bootcamp, and since I'm not much of a gamer, the idea of rebooting to run a windows app I need for 10 minutes is just crazy. The old PowerPCs are still a good value, but windows performance on the intel chips is a good thing, much more practical than Virtual PC.

3) I went the hacked OSX86 route for a while. You really don't get the full experience, and while it can be stable for the most part, every update is a pain, and I spent a lot of time trying to get things to work. If you are into that, Linux is a better choice IMO. If you want a hassle free machine, as hassle free as any, then get a real mac. OSX86 is a novelty, but there are concessions, things that don't work quite right, and the knowledge that what you are doing is technically illegal.

One more comment. Now that I've had my MBP for a few months, any time I have a PC notebook in front of me I'm shocked at how my immediate reaction is disgust at the screen, keyboard, track pad, you name it. They work, but I've definitely become spoiled by the quality and asthetics of my Apple machines.

I doubt I'll ever go back.

I rant with the rest of them on things like heat, but the fact is, these machines are so good you always want perfection. The slightest quirk and mac people are very vocal. Not that there aren't the occassional lemons, all manufacturers have that. Overall, I'd say mac users demand the most, and get it. The difference is in the sport. Are you a "build it yourself", or do you just want to buy something that works and wish to get on with what is important in life?

Thank you both for your answers you convince me to choose mac and only mac :)

Well, now I have to know if it's better to buy a MB or MBP or just wait :)

Thank you all :)

i'm sure apple will come out with updated mb & mbp very soon all the rest were updated recently. as for mb vs mbp we'll need to wait and see what the updates will show us.

Thank you both for your answers you convince me to choose mac and only mac :whistle:

Well, now I have to know if it's better to buy a MB or MBP or just wait :D

Thank you all :P

Unless you're running Aperture or playing games, you won't notice a difference between the MacBook Pro and the MacBook not pro.

What class will you be enrolled to?

If design, then you're good to go with a Macbook Pro. Trust me, although they do upgrade their spec regularly, your new shiny notebook will scream (in a positive way) to any software that you throw.

If however, you're taking other major (such as business), then you won't need any of the Pro line. A decent spec-ed MacBook should be enough (but don't forget to dual-boot with XP). Even the business application is growing on Mac, there's still some "niche" software that won't be available in the near future (in my case, a program for Crystall-Ball financial simulation -- have to make it from scratch).

Well, now I have to know if it's better to buy a MB or MBP or just wait

The obvious difference is that Pros have larger, higher resolution screens. The less obvious difference is that the Pros have much better graphics systems. For most daily uses you'll never notice the difference, but if you plan on playing video games on it or running 3D-intensive software such as engineering/architecture/design programs, then the Pro will definately out-perform the regular MacBook.

If you expect to beat the heck out of your computer, a Pro might be the better buy. For people who aren't artists/engineers and don't mind the smaller screens, the regular MacBook is a tremendous value. (Happily, both can drive a second (external) monitor, so you can buy a big LCD to use at home/dorm.)

Either way, one thing you probably should do is upgrade the memory. The standard 512 MB RAM that comes with them simply isn't enough to keep working smoothly when you get a bunch of programs running at once. 1 Gig RAM should make most people happy.

If you get a MacBook (regular), you should also note that the base model can only burn CDs (and read DVDs); it can't write DVDs. This is due to Apple being a bunch of cheap, thieving bastards. :( (Really, what are they saving...$10 a drive?) So, there's a good chance you'd want to go to the next model up (which has the DVD-R.)