Chameleon crashed MBR

KHIT

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I have got a serious problem. I have installed this version of Chameleon boot loader: http://www.kexts.com/view/1409-chameleon_2.0_rc5_r1095_[vs].html

But now it has broken the Windows Boot Manager, so I'm no longer able to boot into Windows 7. Before installing Chameleon onto Mac OS X Partition on my hard drive, I was running Chameleon 2 RC5 r1011 from a USB Pendrive, which was also my installation media.

I have of course made a backup of my bootmgr file from Windows 7 System Reserved partition, but Mac OS X can't write changes to NTFS partitions. I have tried installion macFUSE, Tuxera NTFS and NTFS 3G, to be able to overwrite the bootmgr with the on from my backup copy.

All programs mentioned above didn't work in Lion DP4, which is the version I'm running.

In Windows I had installed Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit inside Windows through wubi.exe, but does this have anything to do with my boot problem?

I was unable to boot into Windows from both newly installed boot loader, and also not from USB Pendrive installation media.

I have attached picture of error from Windows boot manager.

I really hope someone can help me. I really don't want to reinstall Windows 7 and all my applications from scratch again.

EDIT: I have found Lion DP4 compatible application to be able to write changes to NTFS partitions. I have now replaced bootmgr file from System Reserved with the one from the backup, but now I get the first part of the boot manager, where I can choose to boot either form Windows 7 or Ubuntu. If I select Windows 7 I get same error as on the attached picture. Have tried booting from the partition where the WINDOWS folder is located, and gives same error as on the picture.

Hi

Firstly, I'm not running Lion GM, I'm still running Lion DP4.

My Windows 7 installation is OEM version from my manufacturer HP, I have tried opening startup repair from Windows 7 retail disk, but it can't fix the problem. Instead, it crashed my Chameleon boot loader on Mac OS partition, so I have to boot from USB pen drive again. Have checked, and I'm still unable to boot Windows.

Startup Repair isn't available on HP Windows 7 OEM recovery disks, I made, right after I bought the computer.

I have one last chance getting Windows to boot, without formatting the whole hard drive, which is repairing MBR from Commandprompt on Windows 7 retail DVD.

If you have any other solution on how to get Windows back up and running, I will really appreciate it.

I have now fixed the problem.

Used BootRec.exe commands in Command Prompt from Windows 7 retail DVD. Inserted Mac OS X boot entry into MBR with EasyBCD 2.1

I will upload a guide in a short time

why bother with ' MultiBoot ' at all :censored2: , it's a waste of time IMHO !

i've 3 HD's and on every HD is a different OS installed !

SATA 1 ---> WinXP < --- Bios default Boot ! < --- MBR

SATA 2 ---> Lion ! < --- Chameleon installed !

SATA 3 ---> Snow ! < --- Chameleon installed !

almost every Mainboard or System BIOS have it's own ' BootMenu ' Option ( e.g. F12 ) !

it tooks about 2 sec. to choose from which HD i want Boot and i don't have to bother with this ' MultiBoot ' {censored} !

just my 2 cents :P

CooSee ' Ya

why bother with ' MultiBoot ' at all :blink: , it's a waste of time IMHO !

Well this solution was for people with only HDD for multiple OS'es. This is also for people who can't choose which HDD to boot from when entering the bootmenu

Hi coosee,

I M thinking of doing the way u did to separate each OSes individually to diff HDDs too.

But when u install chameleon to each hdd, did u unplug the others?

no, because i always do a Backup before i change or install something ( e.g. CCC for OSX ), except WinXP, it's only installed for Gaming ( BadCompany 2 ) and not for daily work !

so, always do a Backup before you install a ' kext ' or Update !!!

CooSee ' Ya

What I usually do is detact mac HD but keep windows HD plugged in. Run Windows 7 install dvd, choose the option to restore or recover windows. Choose command window (cmd) and type "bootsect /nt60 all" without the quotes. most of the times it fixes the issue.