FULL GUIDE - ASUS G73JH

Norton1533

27 posts in this topic

Tested with: Asus G73JH I7-840QM

BIOS: v213

Prepare HDD (do your backups)

Burn [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.1.0 and boot with that DVD.

Insert the Snow Leopard Retail Disk 10.6.6

Install OSX (put a admin password)

Boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Select OSX

Open [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (and don’t do here more anything, just open it)

Install Combo update 10.6.7 (link in the end) (do not restart in the end)

Open DSDT Auto-Patcher (check the "extract DSDT from System")

In [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install this config (UserDSDT, JMicron36x SATA, ATI 1.6.34.13, ElliottForceLegacyRTC, FakeSMC, FakeSMC Plugins, IOUSBFamily Rollback, Voodoo PS/2 Controller, Voodoo PS/2 Trackpad, MacBook Pro 6.1, and OSx86 Software).

Install Chameleon 2 RC5.

Install PrefPane that appears in the menu of chameleon.

Go to Aplications - Show all files - Show

Go to Root - Extra. Delete all this files.

Copy "Extra" to Root

Go to Aplications - Show all files - Hide

On the desktop, rename from dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml and cut to /Root/Extra

Open Aplications - Kext Helper B7. Put there AppleHDADisabler.kext, put the admin password and press easy instalo.

Open Aplications - Kext Utility and let it work.

Restart without any DVD in the drive (need to force the shutdown of kext helper b7)

Press enter on the Chameleon.

Open Aplications - Kext Helper B7. Put here the 3 kexts that are on Drivers, put the admin password and press easy install.

Restart (need to force the shutdown of kext helper b7)

Open OSX86Tools and press to Enable Quartz GL.

Restart.

(If you come back to OSX86 Tools and see if it is enabled you get a error, I dont know why but it dont influence anything)

Open glview337 and confirm with the tests ;)

Edit com.apple.Boot.plist that is on the ROOT and add:

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Nomascus</string>

Copy boot file to Root

Restart

Done

Any doubts post here, I will be away since 5 July 2011 - 16 July 2011

After all of this if you want to install windows 7 and do a dual boot you MUST have 2 HDD and:

Remove the HDD that you have Snow Leopard installed.

Install windows 7.

Put again the HDD in the laptop.

Go into the boot and put in 1st boot the HDD that have SL.

On Chimera boot you have all the options :)

Improvements with "your" help:

- sleep

- best graphics for games

Links:

All that you need: http://fileape.com/dl/WJa8rT5bbl81APDf

MAC UPDATE: http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1363/...SXUpd10.6.7.dmg

• Like 1

Whats about n-Draft? With my G73JH i can't connect to my Fritz!Box over WLAN, if i'm using n-Draft(802.11n+g+B ). On 802.11b+g i can connect.

But the funny thing is, that i can only surf very slow after a few days, or not at all. The first time it is ok, but after a few days.. Maybe a problem with my Fritz!Box... But i want to use n-Draft with my G73, so i dont have these problems.

Thanks...

EDIT: Do you know where i can get Mac OS X 10.6.6 Retail in german? Or is it ok, if i install 10.6.3 and update to 10.6.6?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide; I'm glad I didn't have to go through that g73jh post again!!

I actually bought a half mini wireless n card that is has native support for mac airport, so no problems there. However I have noticed a "flash" of sorts on the display every once and a while. Does anyone else have this problem?

HI,

thanks for the great guide!I've followed it and i've successfully managed to install Osx 10.6.8 (and that was my fault :P ) on my G73jh. I had some issues due to the 1.6.8 update (instead of the 10.6.7) caused by the IOPCISomething.kext (i can't remember it's name, anyway was a common problem well documented, so i could easily solve it).

Now i have a fully working machine but i still have two issues:

The first is the video card...still can't go over the 1024x768 (my card was not recognized)...do i have to enable the GraphicEnabler during boot on chameleon? Am i missing something? (i've followed all your step on the guide, including the installation of the ATI kext).

The second (minor) one is for the touchpad...it is not recognized (if i open the VodooPs2 PrefPane it says: ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found. The touchpad works (i can use it) but not in a mac way (multitouch etc...). Do you know if there's a way to enable them?

Many thx in advance and, anyway, thanks for all! ;)

Whats about n-Draft? With my G73JH i can't connect to my Fritz!Box over WLAN, if i'm using n-Draft(802.11n+g+:). On 802.11b+g i can connect.

But the funny thing is, that i can only surf very slow after a few days, or not at all. The first time it is ok, but after a few days.. Maybe a problem with my Fritz!Box... But i want to use n-Draft with my G73, so i dont have these problems.

Thanks...

EDIT: Do you know where i can get Mac OS X 10.6.6 Retail in german? Or is it ok, if i install 10.6.3 and update to 10.6.6?

Read through the other G73JH thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250668. It has lots of info about the n problems. I believe there's a fix somewhere, but I haven't needed to do it yet so can't remember what it is.

Thanks for the guide; I'm glad I didn't have to go through that g73jh post again!!

I actually bought a half mini wireless n card that is has native support for mac airport, so no problems there. However I have noticed a "flash" of sorts on the display every once and a while. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I got this after my display blanked, I turned it back on, it did the fade to white thing and I restarted. It stayed like that for about a minute or so after the reboot, but has been fine since.

Also I have 10.6.6 installed and working fine with full QE/CI, so what would be the benefit of me upgrading to 10.6.7? Just having a working shutdown button? Or would I get better performance out of my 5870? Please advise.

The first is the video card...still can't go over the 1024x768 (my card was not recognized)...do i have to enable the GraphicEnabler during boot on chameleon? Am i missing something? (i've followed all your step on the guide, including the installation of the ATI kext).

The second (minor) one is for the touchpad...it is not recognized (if i open the VodooPs2 PrefPane it says: ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found. The touchpad works (i can use it) but not in a mac way (multitouch etc...). Do you know if there's a way to enable them?

Is there anyone that can help me? ;)

I'm feeling a little bit depressed with the ati things (other than the g73jh, i've a desktop pc with an ati 5550 graphic card and i have almost the same issues... ;) )

Any help would be very appreciated!

Is there anyone that can help me? :wacko:

I'm feeling a little bit depressed with the ati things (other than the g73jh, i've a desktop pc with an ati 5550 graphic card and i have almost the same issues... :) )

Any help would be very appreciated!

Did you install the ATI 1.6.34.13 in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]?

Did you install the ATI 1.6.34.13 in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]?

Yep! But i can try doing it again...who knows. In fact i've a folder on my Desktop called "ATI-Backup" containing (i suppose) the original ATI kext.

Anyway, i'll give it a try. I'll try to install them once more and tell you how is going.

Thanks for the help =)

Now I got my own G73 Mac Book Pro. :)

Triple booting with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04.

I have been fumbling around on the internet, trying to get this to work to no avail.

Got it working first try with this guide. Very clear and to the point. Great guide. :(

Thanks for the Guide.

Now for my desktop

@pc615: Do you have Multitouch, can you use 2 finger scroll and so on?

no 2 finger scroll but that is ok with me I have scroll on edge of touch pad. I do not use touch pad.

The more irritating thing is not recovering from sleep mode. I have tried to disable sleep mode but have not succeeded. :lol:

Ha, i've got the same problem, and i disabled all settings with sleep and the monitor, but the screen goes black, if the laptop is idle. and i dont wake up. just short a white screen, and black. You have to disable the Screensaver, i think it will help :)

ANd about the Touch Pad... For me it would be great, if i could use Multi Touch. It's just amazing, if you can switch with Multi Touch Tabs, oder Apps, Programs, and so on...

I'm mostly working, however I still have one goofy problem. My external monitor only accepts VGA and DVI connections. I bought a HDMI to DVI cable and ran my hackintosh. The HDMI signal does not transfer to my external monitor. It only works with HDMI to HDMI; can anyone else confirm?

Does anyone know if it is possible to update to 10.6.8 via combo update?

or

Can you use the native update?

Thanks

Tested with: Asus G73JH I7-840QM

BIOS: v213

Prepare HDD (do your backups)

Burn [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.1.0 and boot with that DVD.

Insert the Snow Leopard Retail Disk 10.6.6

Install OSX (put a admin password)

Boot with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

Select OSX

Open [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (and don’t do here more anything, just open it)

Install Combo update 10.6.7 (link in the end) (do not restart in the end)

Open DSDT Auto-Patcher (check the "extract DSDT from System")

In [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] install this config (UserDSDT, JMicron36x SATA, ATI 1.6.34.13, ElliottForceLegacyRTC, FakeSMC, FakeSMC Plugins, IOUSBFamily Rollback, Voodoo PS/2 Controller, Voodoo PS/2 Trackpad, MacBook Pro 6.1, and OSx86 Software).

Install Chameleon 2 RC5.

Install PrefPane that appears in the menu of chameleon.

Go to Aplications - Show all files - Show

Go to Root - Extra. Delete all this files.

Copy "Extra" to Root

Go to Aplications - Show all files - Hide

On the desktop, rename from dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml and cut to /Root/Extra

Open Aplications - Kext Helper B7. Put there AppleHDADisabler.kext, put the admin password and press easy instalo.

Restart without any DVD in the drive (need to force the shutdown of kext helper b7)

Press enter on the Chameleon.

Open Aplications - Kext Helper B7. Put here the 3 kexts that are on Drivers, put the admin password and press easy install.

Restart (need to force the shutdown of kext helper b7)

Open OSX86Tools and press to Enable Quartz GL.

Restart.

(If you come back to OSX86 Tools and see if it is enabled you get a error, I dont know why but it dont influence anything)

Open glview337 and confirm with the tests :)

Edit com.apple.Boot.plist that is on the ROOT and add:

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Nomascus</string>

Copy boot file to Root

Restart

Done

Any doubts post here, I will be away since 5 July 2011 - 16 July 2011

After all of this if you want to install windows 7 and do a dual boot you MUST have 2 HDD and:

Remove the HDD that you have Snow Leopard installed.

Install windows 7.

Put again the HDD in the laptop.

Go into the boot and put in 1st boot the HDD that have SL.

On Chimera boot you have all the options :)

Improvements with "your" help:

- sleep

- best graphics for games

Links:

All that you need: http://www.easy-share.com/1916438163/Asus_G73JH_ON_MAC.zip

MAC UPDATE: http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1363/...SXUpd10.6.7.dmg

easy share file is deleted :(

I still can't get my ATi mobility 5870 to display as a 5870. My problem is that when the GPU rom is utilized (says its found during the chimera bootup), the OS becomes the black screen after a 17 second boot. When I instead use GraphicsEnabler=No, it boots into the OS, looks pretty good and has QE/QI, but the graphics card is registered as an ATI Radeon 5000. Bigger problem is when I try using an OS related program like Safari or quicktime, I usually get a freeze. I believe the freeze is linked directly with the video card not being properly referenced in the system profiler. (ie. I'll try running a program like garageband, and as soon as I go into a free lesson, the computer freezes).

I've followed Norton's well written process here as well as Pavol's earlier thread, and also tried using the original boot and rom file where I believe Pavol obtained his from, and still come up with the same result. I'd appreciate it if someone could write up a short process for the ATi mobility 5870 in the G73JH. Other than that, everything runs pretty well.

Hey mbrogz3000,

What G73JH exacty do you have? This guide work perfectly for me, Mac OS tell me also, it is a 5000. But this doesn't matter. This is just text. i think you know, what i want to tell you.

I have also the 5870, and it work... don't have to set GraphicsEnabler to yes or no, the standard ist working for me.

The only issue i have with this card is this: if i dont use my laptop for a few minutes, or maybe a half an hour, the screen went black. if i want to reenable it, it just goes white, for ca 0,1 seconds, and then... just black.

Hi Burny92, thank you for the reply. I have the bestbuy version of the G73JH that came with 6Gb of ram, which I upgraded to 8Gb. Processor is the 1.6GHz, which Mac reports as a 1.71 Ghz core i7.

I believe I figured it out! After investing yet some more time into digging and searching, I discovered that the 1002_68a0.rom file that everyone is using for their G73JH, is actually for an MSI laptop and/or mobility graphics card. When you open up the file that was being used in a text editor, the header states its for an MSI broadway. Also, the psedo code, which looks like garbage, does not exactly match visually the 1002_68a0.rom file for a G73JH. Perhaps it (the MSI version) works on some peoples computers, while it does not for others.

The secret is to make your own rom file while in Windows using GPU-Z. It will save as a Broadway.bin file, then you rename it to 1002_68a0.rom . Bring it over to Mac with your favorite method, and drop it in your /root/Extra folder. You should then be able to boot without using GraphicsEnabler=No (leave your com.apple.Boot.plist graphicsenabler flag set to Yes). When you reboot, it should load your rom file, and boot to a visible desktop in about 20 secs WITHOUT black screen. I went ahead and attached my own rom file.

I ran my unscientific Garageband test...where I load up a Piano or Guitar lesson video and see if it crashes. With GraphicsEnabler=No, it would crash instantly. It has now not crashed at all, and the computer appears to be running pretty stable right now, very low fan speeds in a 73 F room. I normally would putz around in Safari, and experience a crash within 3-5 minutes, but it did not happen when I did. I eventually got it to crash by opening up 5 safaris, running random youtube videos, while having ±20 other programs open.

The next step is to obtain an updated 'Boot' file since its linked to Chimera/Chameleon. I don't know how/haven't figured out how to do this yet. If you update to the newest version of the bootloader, you will lose the injection that tells it to look for your 1002_68a0.rom, resulting in the generic ATi 5000 display driving being loaded.

And if you don't update your bootloader, you will not be able to run reboot into Lion after it installs... (found that out the hard way the day it came out..) BTW, the standard xmove process for installing Lion works perfectly for this computer.

Overall, Pavol's and Norton's guides/threads have been the biggest help to me. Thank you very much guys!

1002_68a0.rom.zip

Wow... Thanks for this helpful answer!

I'm going to try this with making an own rom file. Maybe with your trick i can beat this black screen! Would be great...

i also think i've got the same config. i have the G73JH-TZ014V. i7 1,6GHz(Mac OS = 1,71GHz), 8GB DDR3 1333, HD 5870 1GB

So if you have something that isn't working, please post it, maybe i can help you, or we can take a look, how to fix it.

I'm looking to fix this multi touch thing... I just want to use Multi Touch, would be great... :)

Hi Burny92, thank you for the reply. I have the bestbuy version of the G73JH that came with 6Gb of ram, which I upgraded to 8Gb. Processor is the 1.6GHz, which Mac reports as a 1.71 Ghz core i7.

I believe I figured it out! After investing yet some more time into digging and searching, I discovered that the 1002_68a0.rom file that everyone is using for their G73JH, is actually for an MSI laptop and/or mobility graphics card. When you open up the file that was being used in a text editor, the header states its for an MSI broadway. Also, the psedo code, which looks like garbage, does not exactly match visually the 1002_68a0.rom file for a G73JH. Perhaps it (the MSI version) works on some peoples computers, while it does not for others.

The secret is to make your own rom file while in Windows using GPU-Z. It will save as a Broadway.bin file, then you rename it to 1002_68a0.rom . Bring it over to Mac with your favorite method, and drop it in your /root/Extra folder. You should then be able to boot without using GraphicsEnabler=No (leave your com.apple.Boot.plist graphicsenabler flag set to Yes). When you reboot, it should load your rom file, and boot to a visible desktop in about 20 secs WITHOUT black screen. I went ahead and attached my own rom file.

I ran my unscientific Garageband test...where I load up a Piano or Guitar lesson video and see if it crashes. With GraphicsEnabler=No, it would crash instantly. It has now not crashed at all, and the computer appears to be running pretty stable right now, very low fan speeds in a 73 F room. I normally would putz around in Safari, and experience a crash within 3-5 minutes, but it did not happen when I did. I eventually got it to crash by opening up 5 safaris, running random youtube videos, while having ±20 other programs open.

The next step is to obtain an updated 'Boot' file since its linked to Chimera/Chameleon. I don't know how/haven't figured out how to do this yet. If you update to the newest version of the bootloader, you will lose the injection that tells it to look for your 1002_68a0.rom, resulting in the generic ATi 5000 display driving being loaded.

And if you don't update your bootloader, you will not be able to run reboot into Lion after it installs... (found that out the hard way the day it came out..) BTW, the standard xmove process for installing Lion works perfectly for this computer.

Overall, Pavol's and Norton's guides/threads have been the biggest help to me. Thank you very much guys!

I know what you mean. I also have the best buy version, so I just followed This guide and all worked well. Then, in order to get Lion working (even to boot into the installer partition) I simply installed the newest version of Chameleon (the one that comes in the package is not up to date enough apparently). Everything is working except the trackpad, 6250 agn, battery indicator, and hdmi (well it works when using hdmi to dvi adaptor as long as you have it plugged in before you boot up).

The video card is reported at ATI 5000, but I think it is just aesthetic, as all is working ok so far. I DO have some crashes if I tax the system with lots of open windows, and maybe some video, and some music (maybe a heat issue, because I would have that problem sometimes in windows too with turbo enabled).

• 1 month later...
I know what you mean. I also have the best buy version, so I just followed This guide and all worked well. Then, in order to get Lion working (even to boot into the installer partition) I simply installed the newest version of Chameleon (the one that comes in the package is not up to date enough apparently). Everything is working except the trackpad, 6250 agn, battery indicator, and hdmi (well it works when using hdmi to dvi adaptor as long as you have it plugged in before you boot up).

The video card is reported at ATI 5000, but I think it is just aesthetic, as all is working ok so far. I DO have some crashes if I tax the system with lots of open windows, and maybe some video, and some music (maybe a heat issue, because I would have that problem sometimes in windows too with turbo enabled).

Link updated!

Lets improve some more?

• 2 weeks later...
Link updated!

Lets improve some more?

Link seems to be offering me some mediaplayer executable. :( Is there another link? Or could you possible email it to me? djcalarco at gmail dot com

Sorry, nevermind, you need to create an account first, then it will let you download. No email required...apprently anonymous.

thank!!

I'm mostly working, however I still have one goofy problem. My external monitor only accepts VGA and DVI connections. I bought a HDMI to DVI cable and ran my hackintosh. The HDMI signal does not transfer to my external monitor. It only works with HDMI to HDMI; can anyone else confirm?

I have the exact same problem!!

Help!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...