Lion Tweaks

jymboche

9 posts in this topic

Just installed Lion GM or 11A511 and unfortunately some issues I was hoping they would resolve weren't. Was wondering if anyone knew specific workarounds to these issues:

1. Can I have the "reopen windows when loggin back in" unchecked by default?? This might be a nice feature, but I know I would use it less than 1% of the time.

2. Is there any way to have the "devices" on the finder sidebar above the "favorites" section?

Edit: Another one, I actually just found the answer to: when in finder, using icon mode, the option to resize the icons isnt present. You have to go to "View->Show Status Bar."

I like a lot of the new features, but it would be nice if they weren't forced onto the user.

Just installed Lion GM or 11A511 and unfortunately some issues I was hoping they would resolve weren't. Was wondering if anyone knew specific workarounds to these issues:

1. Can I have the "reopen windows when loggin back in" unchecked by default?? This might be a nice feature, but I know I would use it less than 1% of the time.

2. Is there any way to have the "devices" on the finder sidebar above the "favorites" section?

Edit: Another one, I actually just found the answer to: when in finder, using icon mode, the option to resize the icons isnt present. You have to go to "View->Show Status Bar."

I like a lot of the new features, but it would be nice if they weren't forced onto the user.

Hi jymboche.

Can you please tell me how you got the boot loader installed to the LIOn 10.7 and which boot loader did you use?

Please, I'm stuck since past 5 hours just trying to get it to boot after the USB thumb drive install procedure.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

Hmm... honestly I cant remember exactly what i did. I have a flash drive that I installed xpc on that Ive used for the developer previews. I followed this guide mostly:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

The only extra things I did were copy a kext folder to the root of the flash drive with fakesmc inside

and replace the osinstall.mpkg as he instructs in that post

However, my computer freezes when when I have the 8gb flash drive with the install image on. So, I boot from my smaller 2gb drive which only has xpc on it. Then after it has loaded I plug in the 8gb drive and press "F" to rescan the drives. Then I boot the 8gb flash drive to single user mode and run these commands:

/sbin/mount -uw /

chown -R root:wheel /kexts/FakeSMC.kext

kextload /kexts/FakeSMC.kext

exit

that boots up the install wizard with the fakesmc kext.

As far as installing XPC on the smaller drive, I can't remember the steps I followed. Try googling "install XPC lion."

I really like Lion outside of the few annoying points you list.

1. The re-open windows on boot should be disabled by default.

2. Safari re-opens all windows and tabs again when you go back into it. This can be really annoying especially if you were last on a download page, so all the downloads start over again, and I cannot seem to find an option to stop it. Firefox also does this, but at least it provides an option to turn the feature off.

3. Not having the ability to make my morning coffee.. Any modern OS should at least have this one vital feature IMO.

I really like Lion outside of the few annoying points you list.

3. Not having the ability to make my morning coffee.. Any modern OS should at least have this one vital feature IMO.

@TIMMAYOSX.

The "Coffee" brewing functionality. U are Funny, man!!! ;)

ROTFLOL... ;)

Cheers, Pal.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :)

How about the history lion keeps on every app.

If you right click app from dock you get a list of recent files opened with said app in an expose style.

How would you clean this history trail up?

How about the history lion keeps on every app.

If you right click app from dock you get a list of recent files opened with said app in an expose style.

How would you clean this history trail up?

try opening system preferences, general and set recent to zero!!!. not hard at all. try using lion a bit.