Install Snow Leopard on Lenovo Ideapad Y550 Dual Boot Win 7

1 post in this topic

Instructions for installing Snow Leopard (Distro: iAtkos s3 V2) on Lenovo Ideapad Y550 with Win7 Dual boot

I have used these exact steps after a lot of research so if you have my exact specifications, it should work like a charm

Installing Mac OSX on Lenovo YPad 550 with Dual boot (Windows 7)

Hardware specs:

CPU: Inter® Core™2Duo CPU P7450

CPU Type: Intel Pentium XIII Xeon, 2133 MHz

Instruction Set: x86, x86-64,MMZ,SSE,SSE2,SSE3

RAM: 4GB

Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio, Ven: 10EC, Dev: 0272

Ethernet: Broadcom Netlink ™ Gigabit Ethernet, Ven: 14E4, Dev: 1698

Wireless: Intel ® WiFi Link 5100 AGN, Ven: 8086, Dev: 4237

Pre Requisites

1. You have to create a partition with around 15GB of space for OSX. I tried to create another partition but I was getting an error saying the the disk already had the maximum number of partitions. So, I backed up all the data on drive D and decided to use that for OSX. Drive D usually contains the drivers that come pre-installed. So, back them up somewhere.

2. Download “iAtkos S3 V2” installer from the internet. OSX version will be 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard). Google for the torrent. I tried other versions but this version worked best for me. Burn the installer onto a DVD/CD.

3. Create a windows repair disk. Google on how to create one. This is very important.

4. Install Easy BCD on your computer to fix up dual boot later on. I have attached the installer here. File: EasyBCD 2.0.2.zip

5. Set your computer to boot from CD/DVD drive as first device. Reboot your PC and hit F2 to go into BIOS. Go to BOOT configuration and change the boot order. Make CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. Save and Exit.

Installation

1. Reboot your computer with the installer in the CD/DVD drive. It will take some time to boot from the CD/DVD.

2. When loading finishes, you will see the screen says “Install Mac OSX”. Don’t hit continue yet. Do the next steps first.

3. Choose your language when prompted and click continue.

4. On the menu, click “Utilities” -> “Disk Utilities”. After the installer has gathered the disk information you will be shown all the drives and the partitions. Choose your pre-determined partition and click Erase. Enter the name you want for the partition (e.g. OSX) , choose Format as “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” and click OK. Accept the confirmation. This will erase your partition and format it correctly.

5. Quit the “Disk Utility” and hit Continue.

6. Don’t hit “Install” yet. We need to customize our installation. Click “Customize” and make only the selections exactly as I have listed below. If something is not listed here, deselect it. This is very important. Don’t worry we will install drivers for some hardware manually later.

iATKOS S3 Main System (Auto selected)

>Bootloader

>> Chameleon v2 RC5

>Patches (select below only)

>>/Extra Directory

>>Fakesmc

>>Disabler

>>RTC

>>>RTC

>>EVO

>>>Reboot

>> Drivers

>>>Main Hardware

>>>>SATA/IDE

>>>>>Intel SATA/IDE

>>>> Sound

>>>>> Voodoo HAD

>>>> PS/2

>>>>> Voodoo PS/2

>>>> CPU

>>>>> Power Management

>>>>> Voodoo P-State

>>>> NTFS-3G

>>>>> Mac FUSE core

>>>>> NTFS-3G

(Don’t be tempted to choose any VGA,Sound or Network drivers. None will work properly. Voodoo HDA sound will work but the one that comes with the installer is very hissy and has low output volume. You will install proper drivers later)

7. Now hit install. It will take around 20 minutes to complete. The computer will reboot when done. I suggest hitting F12 to halt the boot process so that you can get a chance to eject the OSX installer CD and insert the windows repair disk. Let the computer boot from the windows repair disk.

8. Goto the command prompt and type these instructions exactly as they appear.

a. List disk

b. Select disk 0

c. List part

d. Select part 1

e. Active

f. Exit

g. Bootrec/rebuildbcd

Now you can reboot your PC. Remove the disk from the DVD/CD drive so that your windows can boot normally.

9. In windows, run the “Easy BCD” program. In the “view settings” mode, if you don’t see your MAC OSX entry, then you have to create it using the “Add New Entry” option. You have to choose the Operating system (MAC) , put the name you want and Mode should be EFI (default).

10. If you go to the Advanced settings mode, you should be able to see both OS (windows and Mac) in the drop down and both of them should be on Drive C. In the “Edit Boot Menu” mode you can change the boot sequence and boot default OS timer.

11. Save and apply your settings.

12. Download the drivers for Graphics(NVidia, Sound and Ethernet) to a directory and note that down. You should be able to access that from your mac OS. I have put them below so that you won’t have to look for them. You could also download to a USB Stick

13. Reboot your computer and choose OSX in the operating system choice menu that you will now be presented with.

14. Do the initial registration etc that MaC wants you to do. Since you don’t have internet so it won’t matter what you put in. Remember the password you set as that will be the admin password.

15. Use finder and copy the files you saved in step 12 onto the desktop.

16. First install Kext utility as this makes installing kexts easy. File: 129-KextUtility.v.2.4.2.full.SL.x64.ready.by.cVad.zip

You just have to click on the zip file and then drag the application to the applications folder on the taskbar below.

17. Next install the VGA driver. Double click file: Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg It will make you restart your computer at the end.

18. Once you come back, go to Preferences and you should be able to set your high resolution in the display section.

19. Go to the desktop and install the Ethernet driver. Double click the file: BCM5784M Ethernet.zip to extract the package. Double click it and follow steps. It might make you restart your computer.

20. Go to the desktop and install the sound driver. Double click the file: VoodooHDA-0.2.56.zip to extract the package. Double click it and follow steps. Restart the computer. Now you should have good sound without any hissing sound.

21. Now unzip the following kexts (VoodooBattery.kext, VoodooPower.kext and SleepEnabler.kext ) from the corresponding zip file and install them by copying them into the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Execute the kext utility afterwards to fixup the extensions cache. NOTE: If you upgrade to OSX 10.6.8 the SleepEnabler.kext will cause kernel panic so remember to uninstall it before doing the update. Deep sleep will still not work. So better set the computer to never go to sleep.

22. The only thing that won’t work is your WIFI driver. There is no kext for that yet. So, I bought a USB wireless adapter. Model AWLL5088. It works perfectly after installing the driver that came with the device. I got it from eBay for around $15.

23. I recommend you to change the keyboard mapping so that you can make the windows key act like the command key for MAC. Goto Preferences-> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys. Change “Option Key” to “Command Key” and vice-versa.

Thats it. You are set to go.

420_BCM5784M_Ethernet.pkg.zip

Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg.zip

SleepEnabler.kext.10.6.7.zip

VoodooBattery.kext.zip

VoodooHDA_0.2.56.pkg.zip

VoodooPower.kext.zip

129_KextUtility.v.2.4.2.full.SL.x64.ready.by.cVad.zip

• Like 1