Lion GM released today

89 posts in this topic

I manage to install this, ,but when boot it don't find my key board :-( perhaps it have to do that I'm using a laptop ;-)

u must connect to an USB keyboard, just for once and just couple of second and after that u can use your laptop keyboard

u must connect to an USB keyboard, just for once and just couple of second and after that u can use your laptop keyboard

Right now I only can boot with cpus=1 what kernel do I nee to make all cores to work ?

And my keyboard are working ;-)

Just a quick question. Has anyone gotten the GM install app - not dmg file - and applied it to either 10.6.8 or 10.7 DP.n?

I have two OS X partitions on my system - one 10.6.8 and the other 10.7 DP4 and I tried it on both. It appeared to run the install setup correctly and reboot the system. It appears the intent is to adjust the boot process to do the new install. However, for me, it didn't do anything on the re-boot except boot the previous system - no upgrade of any type.

I would like to understand if it's just me or if it will not work on a hacked PC.

I tossed DP4 entirely and replaced it.

If you are running latest Chameleon (build 1000 or later) on your SL partition, you can boot the restored Lion DVD/image (DVD-restore method, USB method, or HDD partition method) directly and start the installation from there; I did exactly that since DP3 (with DP3, DP4, and now GM). You won't need to install Chameleon on the Lion partition, either (I did, but didn't have to, as my existing Chameleon install picked it up). I have my current "Hack-Source" HDD (40 GB ex-Dell WD Caviar PATA) split four ways - SL 10.6.3 restored image, Lion GM restored image (replaced DP4 restored image), common applications/utilities I, common applications/utilities II. Each partition is the same size (a little over 9 GB). Eventually, I'll move everything to a SATA HDD of the same size or larger; however, that is strictly to preserve my options when upgrading to hardware in the future that may not support PATA/ATAPI at all, as this is the only PATA/ATAPI drive I use for any purpose.

Hi all,

I wonder if someone tries to install burn Lion GM with key bootable or cdboot of chaméléon ?

I currently have graved Mac OS X Install ESD and creates a key bootable but can not boot from the DVD Player.

Press "f5" don't work for scan or rescan optical drive.

dsc0021fi.jpg

I tried to put in com.apple.Boot.plist location of optical drive

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>PCI0@0/SATA@1F,2/PRT5@5/PMP@0</string>

Impossible to start the burn GM,Have you any idea how to do ?

Thanks.

My file extra:

Extra.zip

Hi all,

I wonder if someone tries to install burn Lion GM with key bootable or cdboot of chaméléon ?

I currently have graved Mac OS X Install ESD and creates a key bootable but can not boot from the DVD Player.

Press "f5" don't work for scan or rescan optical drive.

I tried to put in com.apple.Boot.plist location of optical drive

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>PCI0@0/SATA@1F,2/PRT5@5/PMP@0</string>

Impossible to start the burn GM,Have you any idea how to do ?

Thanks.

My file extra:

try xpc or HackBoot ...

Hello Wayang-NT,

You try xpc or HackBoot to start dvd Lion ? Or is it juste you tell me to try ?

Thanks.

i've try with HackBoot to install Lion GM....

6zlg89.jpg

.... but it's waisted my time :) ... it's about 50 minutes to finished ..... :D

I tossed DP4 entirely and replaced it.

If you are running latest Chameleon (build 1000 or later) on your SL partition, you can boot the restored Lion DVD/image (DVD-restore method, USB method, or HDD partition method) directly and start the installation from there; I did exactly that since DP3 (with DP3, DP4, and now GM). You won't need to install Chameleon on the Lion partition, either (I did, but didn't have to, as my existing Chameleon install picked it up). I have my current "Hack-Source" HDD (40 GB ex-Dell WD Caviar PATA) split four ways - SL 10.6.3 restored image, Lion GM restored image (replaced DP4 restored image), common applications/utilities I, common applications/utilities II. Each partition is the same size (a little over 9 GB). Eventually, I'll move everything to a SATA HDD of the same size or larger; however, that is strictly to preserve my options when upgrading to hardware in the future that may not support PATA/ATAPI at all, as this is the only PATA/ATAPI drive I use for any purpose.

I appreciate the reply, but I don't think I explained the question correctly.

I am reasonably sure Apple does not expect the average person who upgrades 10.6.8 using the App Store version of 10.7 to build a bootable USB stick to do it.

I think they are expected to start the app, run the 3 minute install, re-boot and the system will upgrade itself. At least that is how I think it should work. What I was asking was if anyone had been able to make that process work on a hacked version of 10.6.8 or 10.7 DPx.

I am reasonably sure Apple does not expect the average person who upgrades 10.6.8 using the App Store version of 10.7 to build a bootable USB stick to do it.

I think they are expected to start the app, run the 3 minute install, re-boot and the system will upgrade itself. At least that is how I think it should work. What I was asking was if anyone had been able to make that process work on a hacked version of 10.6.8 or 10.7 DPx.

There are files in the DPs (and in the GM itself) that make such a casual install on Hacks a non-starter (just as there were with Snow Leopard). I chose the method I did (HD-partition-based install) not only because of the hackery I needed to do to the restored image, but because I was doing a clean install (alongside Snow Leopard) as opposed to an upgrade install (commonplace in the Land of Mac) and for a faster install process (the single-stage partition-based install is all of twenty minutes, whereas a two-stage upgrade install is longer than that; while the first stage of the upgrade install is three minutes, that second stage, after the reboot, is longer than twenty minutes). However, outside of the hackery specifically needed for Hackintosh installs, the same methods will still work with real Macs (even the HD-partition install method); however, real Macs, of course, have the option of an upgrade install.

the problem for hacks is that the control panel item "startup disk" is not working..

the Lion installer app that you run in SL will set the boot drive temporarily to the base dmg , so a real mac would reboot into the temporary mounted dmg and search for the packages on the snow partition ( they are extracted to a folder called "Mac OS X Installer packages" . ( therefore for the USB boot solution we need to put the packages there on the usb itself, otherwise Lion installer would not find them ).

On a real mac after the dmg is booted, the Installer will extract the packages he left when the Lion.app had been launched in SL before the reboot and then replace bit by bit the SL files with the Lion files - then at finnish Lion will re-set the boot drive to the physical hdd, unmount its own dmg and reboot once more - this time into the locally installed new OS.

so in short words

Lion install process as intended by Apple :

-- run Lion app inside 10.6.8

-- App will create folder /Mac OS X Installer packages

-- App will copy the packages like "Basesystemessentials.pkg","german.pkg","ichat.pkg" and so on to the folder

-- App will mount and set silently the boot/startup drive to the "Mac OS X Base System" DMG

-- Mac will restart from that Image

-- OS installer from the booted Image will collect the packages and then finally install them to local HDD.

-- OS installer will unmount the Image, set boot/startup drive back to HDD

-- Mac will restart into OSX Lion and present the welcome wizard.

You can run the Lion.app on a hack, see yourself : it will "install" but when it reboots you land back in SL.. nothing changed. Because the startup boot drive has not changed to the dmg on a hack, and chameleon does not notice a change has been set by the OS. ( i don't even know if chameleon could boot a dmg ) The only evidence you ever ran the installer on a hack 10.6.8 is the folder with the installer packages left ..

Edited by smartie77

Lion install process as intended by Apple :

-- run Lion app inside 10.6.8

-- App will create folder /Mac OS X Installer packages

-- App will copy the packages like "Basesystemessentials.pkg","german.pkg","ichat.pkg" and so on to the folder

-- App will mount and set silently the boot/startup drive to the "Mac OS X Base System" DMG

-- Mac will restart from that Image

-- OS installer from the booted Image will collect the packages and then finally install them to local HDD.

-- OS installer will unmount the Image, set boot/startup drive back to HDD

-- Mac will restart into OSX Lion and present the welcome wizard.

You can run the Lion.app on a hack, see yourself : it will "install" but when it reboots you land back in SL.. nothing changed. Because the startup boot drive has not changed to the dmg on a hack, and chameleon does not notice a change has been set by the OS. ( i don't even know if chameleon could boot a dmg ) The only evidence you ever ran the installer on a hack 10.6.8 is the folder with the installer packages left ..

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed explanation on how the process works. I really appreciate it. I understand much better now why we need to do the steps to build the USB installer.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed explanation on how the process works. I really appreciate it. I understand much better now why we need to do the steps to build the USB installer.

My pleasure :(

Needed to find out on my own experiments.. I had the same expectation first; to run the app in SL and be able to upgrade.. then when I landed back in SL and not in Lion, I just had to inspect what this whole thing was about. The answer is just : the "installing OSX" window is no real installation but only a extractor and pre-boot setup. Apple is fooling its customers with this "app" .