[Guide] Dell Inspiron 15R (N5110) 2011 - SL 10.6.8 Installation

androdev

58 posts in this topic

Hello dear hackintosh users!

A few weeks ago I bought the best notebook for Mac.

The specs:

Dell Inspiron N5110 i7-2630QM
Intel Core i7 2630QM 2000Mhz / 4096Mb DDR3 1333Mhz / 640 Gb (5400 rpm), SATA / DVD-Super Multi Double Layer / 15,6 ” LED 1366x768 / NVIDIA GeForce GT525 1024Mb / Windows 7 Home Premium

Let's do it quickly and get through the installation process.

Works:

- i7+DDR3 memory detected

- Intel HD Graphics (Native Res, QE/CI - internal monitor)

- IDT Audio (VoodooHDA, Volume Control, all in(out)puts)

- Atheros WiFi

- Keyboard

- CD/DVD, USB 2.0

Not tried:

- Bluetooth

- Cardreader

- USB 3.0

Stuff you need:

- Latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125

- 10.6.3 Install DVD (or USB stick)

- 10.6.8 Combo Update

Installation:

1. Install 10.6.3 Retail with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

Boot with:

GraphicsEnabler=no -v

2. Run this in Terminal:

sudo -s
cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins
rm -R ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext
touch /System/Library/Extensions

3. Reboot (use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url])

4. Install 10.6.8 Combo (do not reboot)

5. Prepare your boot drive (Chimera+FakeSMC+NullCPUPM+MacBook Pro 8,3 smbios)

smbios here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

Copy this to the boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>600000000100000001000000540000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04001e00
00004100410050004c002c006f0073002d0069006e0066006f0000001800000030490111111108000001f01f01000000
10070000</string>

6. Install VoodooHDA.pkg (2.7.2) http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/

Next, find VoodooHDA kext in S/L/E and edit it's Info.plist to enable two volume fixes (set true). Reinstall it.

7. Edit Info.plist of Atheros plugin in wireless kext from 30 to 2b.

8. Install latest VoodooBattery and VoodooPS2 for 64 bit.

9. Reboot and have fun

Any questions will be answered.

Big thanks to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257950

Edited by androdev
  • Like 1

Hello again. Users ask me via pm to upload my kexts. They are from Lion, but will work with 10.6.8 and 10.7. Install with Kext Helper (google for it).

Video

You can get 8 AppleIntelHDGraphics video kexts from 10.6.8 update. Dont forget about boot.plist string (see above).

Audio

VoodooHDA (pre-edited to work with prefpane, volume fixes)

PS2

Keyboard and touchpad (tap and buttons works)

WiFi (pre-edited from Lion)

__________.zip

But now I suggest you upgrade to Lion. My system works fine:

post-752786-1309784272_thumb.png

thank you so much for this , it really helped me

I have the same notebook Dell Inspiron N5110 i7 8GB, however I am only able to run OSX 10.6.3 using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I tried everything to install the combo 10.6.8 using different guides in few forums but with no success. The boot process either hangs on nVidia card or with the GraphicsEnabler=No -v it hangs on jnl journal replay done.

Can you please help. A more specific guide would help, also knowing exactly what kext did you use to get this working.

I would love to install Lion if there a guide for this dell notebook.

Would appreciate any help.

Hello Androdev.

Thank you for the instructions, because i can install the 10.6.8 SL.

But I have two problems.

1 - The Wi-Fi does not work. Your card is this? Intel ® Centrino ® Wireless-N 1030

2 - my keyboard only works on 32bit but not in 64bit. The touchpad does not work at all.

Please can you help me? thank you.

Hello again. Users ask me via pm to upload my kexts. They are from Lion, but will work with 10.6.8 and 10.7. Install with Kext Helper (google for it).

Video

You can get 8 AppleIntelHDGraphics video kexts from 10.6.8 update. Dont forget about boot.plist string (see above).

Audio

VoodooHDA (pre-edited to work with prefpane, volume fixes)

PS2

Keyboard and touchpad (tap and buttons works)

WiFi (pre-edited from Lion)

__________.zip

But now I suggest you upgrade to Lion. My system works fine:

post-752786-1309784272_thumb.png

Hello Androdev.

Thank you for the instructions, because i can install the 10.6.8 SL.

But I have two problems.

1 - The Wi-Fi does not work. Your card is this? Intel ® Centrino ® Wireless-N 1030

2 - my keyboard only works on 32bit but not in 64bit. The touchpad does not work at all.

Please can you help me? thank you.

I have the same notebook Dell Inspiron N5110 i7 8GB, however I am only able to run OSX 10.6.3 using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I tried everything to install the combo 10.6.8 using different guides in few forums but with no success. The boot process either hangs on nVidia card or with the GraphicsEnabler=No -v it hangs on jnl journal replay done.

Can you please help. A more specific guide would help, also knowing exactly what kext did you use to get this working.

I would love to install Lion if there a guide for this dell notebook.

Would appreciate any help.

well , i did install snow leopard 10.6.3 , but when i try to install the combo update , it just won't boot no matter what happens , as for lion , i tried to install , but i can't boot it , when i try to boot it using the MaLd0n method , it hangs at the dsmos has arrived

well , i did install snow leopard 10.6.3 , but when i try to install the combo update , it just won't boot no matter what happens , as for lion , i tried to install , but i can't boot it , when i try to boot it using the MaLd0n method , it hangs at the dsmos has arrived

I got the same problem. Currently I can only run the 10.6.3, however I have no network, neither the wifi nor the Lan cards are working, also sound not working.

Its strange that 10.6.3 can run on it, but more updated version do not.

Well guess I`ll have to wait until someone with more experience will take this NB as a project.

Thanks for the info.

Note:

This laptop comes with 2 different Wifi cards.

Some are equipped with an Atheros WiFi and others are equipped with a Cenrino WiFi.

Only the Atheros cards work.

I think it depends on the region you got the laptop from. I got mine from the UA Emirates, and it came with an Atheros. Dell US website says its model has the Centrino.

Not sure if its safe to assume that the ones sold in the east (Asia) come with an Atheros, and the ones sold in the west (US, EU) come with a Centrino.

Well my friends, is a pleasure I can say that my Dell N5110 is running the Lion GM perfectly.

Since my laptop has wi-fi Intel Centrino, and does not work, I bought a USB adapter ASUS WL-167G V3, and it worked at first attempt.

WI-FI works ...

Web-cam works ...

USB 3.0 works ...

Intel HD graphics work ...

Sound (voodooHDA) works ...

CardReader works...

Bluetooth works...

Only the touchpad does not work ... but do not need it

Almost perfect ... :( :( :D

Well my friends, is a pleasure I can say that my Dell N5110 is running the Lion GM perfectly.

Since my laptop has wi-fi Intel Centrino, and does not work, I bought a USB adapter ASUS WL-167G V3, and it worked at first attempt.

WI-FI works ...

Web-cam works ...

USB 3.0 works ...

Intel HD graphics work ...

Sound (voodooHDA) works ...

CardReader works...

Bluetooth works...

Only the touchpad does not work ... but do not need it

Almost perfect ... ;):):D

can you tell us what method did you used?

here's the dsdt file i extracted in ubuntu , may be anyone can help me to edit it and patch it , i new to making a dsdt , so please help me

:) I finally Got Lion installed on my Dell Inspiron N5110 NB.

Currently Everything is working great in 32bit mode.

Got the following working:

Intel HD3000 Graphics

Realtek PCIe FE (8167)

USB 2 & 3

Built-In Cam

Keyboard & Trackpad Mouse

DVD-RW

Battery

Sound VoodooHDA 2.72

Not Working Yet: :P

Nvidia Geforce GT 525M

Wifi Centrino Wireless-N 1030

Hopefully someone out there will soon have kext for them and then it will be a prefect MacBookPro. :P

it finally worked , i have a working 10.6.8 os , graphics working , usb, processor worked

you have to replace the dsdt file in the extra folder and add the string above to bootplist in the extra folder , and add

to it

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>DSDT.aml</string>

here's the dsdt

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=262128

good luck

Which of the Graphics is working? The HD3000 or the Nvidia?

I have tried it with my Lion install, but currently WhenI use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, it stays on the Gray loading Bg prior to the login screen. I can boot with the Flag set to No.

Is this DSDT will work for Lion?

Thanks again for your help.

I have full Lion installed on this NB, everything is working except Nvidia & Wife Centrino 1030.

Which of the Graphics is working? The HD3000 or the Nvidia?

I have tried it with my Lion install, but currently WhenI use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, it stays on the Gray loading Bg prior to the login screen. I can boot with the Flag set to No.

Is this DSDT will work for Lion?

Thanks again for your help.

I have full Lion installed on this NB, everything is working except Nvidia & Wife Centrino 1030.

well , i just installed lion on my laptop , and it's great expect the nvidia and sound and the brightness of the screen , i used chimera and the macbook pro 8.3 and add the string above in the boot plist file in the extra folder and put the dsdt file in the extra and added nullcpumangement.kext in the extensions folder in the extra , with this it booted normal . the intel graphics will be enabled not the nvidia because there's no driver for it at the moment

I have this Norebook and I have installed Lion on it. Everything works fine except for Wifi and Nvidia which I hope someone will soon find a solution for it. you can always buy a USB supported wifi.

Currently 32bit mode is the best although everythings works as well in 64bit mode accepts the Realtek LAN PCIe PE RTL8167 (8136). Works in 32bit mode.

Built in camera works! sound works! USB 2&3 Works.

I Found thet the best way to go for Lion is use a Chameleon RC5 Boot loader Latest, Chimera did not work for Lion but is good for 10.6.8

Most of the 10.6.8 KEXT will work on Lion. Just use any of the Guides out there. Also look for a file called Lion.pkg and Extra.pkg these are important to install onto the installation USB stick prior to be able to boot.

I also used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] latest to start things going. Boot firstly with Kernel Flags -v -f arch=i386 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=No

after install you can remove the -f, and then edit your boot.plist, I use for this NB "arch=i386 cpus=1 busratio=20 GraphicsEnabler=No ForceWake=Yes".

I used VoodooHDA2.27 for Sound.

AppleRTL8169.kext for Lan - this need to be modified in Info.plist, change all 0x8xxxxx to be 0x816710ec 0x813610ec.

Intel HD3000 should work OOB.

I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] just to install the USB3 NEC + USB Rollback.

Also VoodooPS2 for keyboard and mouse.

FakeSMC

and few others which are explained in the N5110 install guides out there.

Hope this helps, if you find a solution for the wifi or Nvidia 525M GT please let us know.

I would like to help on this, but don't know where to begin on how to create a kext package or EFI string or DSDT.aml file.

A guide on this would help.

Thanks guymass. I showed the Dell representative your file, yet he keeps denying the HD3000 is included. However, as it comes with i3-2310M Processor it must have the HD3000 as well as it's integrated. Of course I trust more on your expertise than on theirs, and I kept pushing. Eventually someone at Dell confirmed that both will be availble to use, sadly not at Dell NL but Dell UK, but a promise is a promise. Will go for the Nvidia equipped one now, for use on Windows or when a kext becomes available. Thank you for your time!

Thanks guymass. I showed the Dell representative your file, yet he keeps denying the HD3000 is included. However, as it comes with i3-2310M Processor it must have the HD3000 as well as it's integrated. Of course I trust more on your expertise than on theirs, and I kept pushing. Eventually someone at Dell confirmed that both will be availble to use, sadly not at Dell NL but Dell UK, but a promise is a promise. Will go for the Nvidia equipped one now, for use on Windows or when a kext becomes available. Thank you for your time!

Your welcom. FYI, my model is an Israel one, so maybe they have different specs for different countries, that is why they claim it doesn't have both cards, but I think a Model should be the same everywhere.

Best of luck.

Your welcom. FYI, my model is an Israel one, so maybe they have different specs for different countries, that is why they claim it doesn't have both cards, but I think a Model should be the same everywhere.

Best of luck.

I've ordered it, hopefully all will be fine with the 3000HD usuable. Dell says it'll probably arrive Wednesday, I'll post my progress here.