Inspiron 1520 won't boot after 10.6.8 upgrade

9 posts in this topic

Installed from iatkos (most recent version) six-eight months ago without issue on my Dell Inspiron 1520 (Nvidia 9600GT M), installing only a few kexts and changing the wireless card. Sleep and on-board LAN didn't work, but everything else did and was wonderful.

Fast forward to today; saw that the 10.6.8 update was out and foolishly tried to install it (via System Update) without doing proper backups. Update proceeded OK, restarted computer.

After quite a while of booting, eventually the spinner froze. Starting with -x doesn't work. Starting with -v shows that the boot seems to fail at random points: Once after loading the FireWire, just now after a message from launchctl: "Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/chum.plist"

Any ideas on how I can recover my system, or is it inoperable?

Edit: It seems to fail most times after the "FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1180 ID 832 built-in now active, GUID 434fc00034d601a1; max speed s400." line. Just did so three times in a row.

Edit 2: I disabled the FireWire and onboard LAN in the BIOS. Now trying to boot, at the moment is stuck at "Waiting for DSMOS..."

yes.. use MacBook4,1 6,1 pro works fine smbios.plist and in dsdt.aml the Device (PCI) has _ADR change to _UID.

this is for the 8x00m nvidia.. reason for dsdt nvidia injection is due to 10.6.0 installation didnt like graphicsenabler... gray screen. (likely nvcap issue)

use kext wizard for the kexts to install to /System/Library/Extensions ( i dont like using /Extra/Extension said the lion)

the dsdt has Airport atheros AR5B91 subvendor id 0x8F in wwan slot aka RP01. if u use wireless on its regular slot (RP02) should not interfere. but if u get atheros wireless AR5B91 device id 2A then put it in the WWAN slot (slot closest to middle of laptop) so it uses the subvendor of apple in dsdt for it.

EDIT: Sleep issue due to file mixup in 1520.zip.

Much more stable and added FRWR with power conservation disabled fixed.

VooDooSDHC.kext, AppleHDADisabler.kext

removed NVDA dsdt video inject .. GraphicsEnabler works fine.

added SMBIOS.plist of MacBookPro6,1 date: 08/02/11

added Device (SDHC)//under the LAN0 Date: 08/01/11 8:00pm

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00010001)

Fixed RP02 added subvendor 106b apple but removed in case of broadcom compatibility. (AR5B91 users should use slot WWAN any others normalwireless slot WLAN))

again if using for USB install stick for 10.6.0 not 10.6.3 which graphicsenabler works fine with.. i recommend adding the nvidia 8x00m injection in AGP (PEGP) VID (GFX0)

and GraphicsEnabler=No (FOR USB not PC.. for pc Yes) but you can try with graphicsenabler if you like.

now testing With Inspiron 1720 so now i call it Inspiron 1X20.zip

EDIT: 8-24-11 new upload with proper dsdt.

and lion files in separate folders

how to install chameleon2 to EFI.rtf

EDIT: 10/19/11 had a mixup of dsdt and didnt realize the wake had a freeze. found my old and applied most patches. no freeze after wake.

only the standard long post when i rebooted after wake.

Inspiron1x20_10.x_LatinMcG.zip

It works, thanks for the source of your DSDT, i've modified mine to adapt to my machine, but there's one small problem: the verbose boot freeze at [PCI Configuration Begin] without moving, but the machine boots correctly :( .
Check this thread for fix (read few pages to find or use search in topic function in the bottom part of the page).

i had same issue with either graphics enabler or when i added _UID rather than replaced _ADR

(i ended up adding video nvdia in dsdt and turned off graphicsenabler as a test. both work fine.)

EDIT: i recently switched back to GraphicsEnabler and works fine also.

on some cases you have to add _UID under _ADR . inspiron 1520 = replace

your laptop ? dunno. try one or other..

• 4 weeks later...
It works, thanks for the source of your DSDT, i've modified mine to adapt to my machine, but there's one small problem: the verbose boot freeze at [PCI Configuration Begin] without moving, but the machine boots correctly :D.

Otherwise the log of the kernel is complete, with all the verbose boot :):D .

Why is this things happening?Small problem, but i like to see the verbose if i install new kexts!

Thanks a lot for your support, i've searching for a solution for three days.

(And sorry for my english).

Rodomar705

i recently seen that issue in my g31m-es2l works fine tho. but i think its the chameleon2 version its 1251 VS.. on laptop its 1096 and that one doesnt stop showing verbose..hmmm

• 2 weeks later...
yes.. use MacBook4,1 6,1 pro works fine smbios.plist and in dsdt.aml the Device (PCI) has _ADR change to _UID.

this is for the 8x00m nvidia.. reason for dsdt nvidia injection is due to 10.6.0 installation didnt like graphicsenabler... gray screen. (likely nvcap issue)

use kext wizard for the kexts to install to /System/Library/Extensions ( i dont like using /Extra/Extension said the lion)

the dsdt has Airport atheros AR5B91 subvendor id 0x8F in wwan slot aka RP01. if u use wireless on its regular slot (RP02) should not interfere. but if u get atheros wireless AR5B91 device id 2A then put it in the WWAN slot (slot closest to middle of laptop) so it uses the subvendor of apple in dsdt for it.

EDIT: Sleep issue due to file mixup in 1520.zip.

Much more stable and added FRWR with power conservation disabled fixed.

VooDooSDHC.kext, AppleHDADisabler.kext

removed NVDA dsdt video inject .. GraphicsEnabler works fine.

added SMBIOS.plist of MacBookPro6,1 date: 08/02/11

added Device (SDHC)//under the LAN0 Date: 08/01/11 8:00pm

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00010001)

Fixed RP02 added subvendor 106b apple but removed in case of broadcom compatibility. (AR5B91 users should use slot WWAN any others normalwireless slot WLAN))

again if using for USB install stick for 10.6.0 not 10.6.3 which graphicsenabler works fine with.. i recommend adding the nvidia 8x00m injection in AGP (PEGP) VID (GFX0)

and GraphicsEnabler=No (FOR USB not PC.. for pc Yes)

now testing With Inspiron 1720 so now i call it Inspiron 1X20.zip

new upload with proper dsdt.

this file i use can sleep 1520,but freeze after wake. put in extra

Extra_5.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Identical problems with a 1720, plus something VERY strange:

all of a sudden, WiFi stopped seeing MY WiFi box.

Which I solved easily enough by connecting a simple USB 802.3 b/g/n found on eBay, which gives me a much better connection!!! :lol:

Still puzzled about the updates, so if anyone can help... not sure the 1520 DSDT would be ok on a 1720 (almost similar configuration otherwise btw).

Rgds to all.