[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

Edhawk

Edhawk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Update No. 5 for Yosemite on HP Microserver:

As I have been cloning the Yosemite install with SuperDuper to keep a working copy on a separate drive, I managed to delete the HD Recovery partition on both drives.  Due to cloning the second drive once I had a working version of 10.10.4 on the first.  Fortunately I found a site with an AppleScript written by Chris Silvertooth (Recovery Partition Creator 3.8), which works with Yosemite and I have successfully replaced the deleted recovery partitions on both HD's.  This has resulted in the Favourite icons in Safari (on any new tab) being their normal colours not Red as previously was the case.  I may need to add some Bootflags to get the Recovery partition to boot.

I also believe that Bronya's new kernel for 10.10.4 contains the routine to deal with the white icons on launchpad as I have not had to run this again since the 10.10.4 update.

Clover on the Microserver seems to be more trouble than it is worth, bit of a steep learning curve to get it working without any glitches on the AMD system.  So I will be sticking with Chameleon for the time being.

Edhawk

Edhawk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Update No 6 for Yosemite on HP Microserver:

Using the 10.10.5 combo update and a new AMD Kernel posted by Spakk (Spakk_10.10.5_SSEPlus_v2), which is available in the Download section on this site, I have today updated one of my Microserver hard drives to 10.10.5!  Big thanks to Spakk and the other AMD developers for all their work.

There was no need to replace any kexts or frameworks, the new kernel simply worked with my pre-existing Chameleon bootflags.

No issues with white or red icons.  The applications I have tried all seem to work as expected.

Been away from home for the past week so not had a chance to play with the Server app, but this is currently the only update highlighted in the App Store.

Still plan to get Clover to work with the Microserver (if I can) at some point but so happy to have got the final Yosemite install working on this little machine.

Edit: Just to make sure this wasn't a fluke I have just updated my main SSD to Yosemite 10.10.5 using the same process.  I ran the Combo update and before rebooting copied the updated AMD kernel to the 'System/Library/Kernels' folder, having first renamed the AMD Kernel to match the Chameleon kernel bootflag - which is now AMD_Kernel5.  Still get Sandbox issues during verbose post but this doesn't stop the install or Microserver from Booting.

85Razor

85Razor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Flying and hackintoshing!

I also own a Microserver Gen7. I got it running 10.10.1 using Chameleon. I am trying to boot it with Clover. Which actually works for now :).

But I also try to install 10.10.5 using Clover. After installation and reboot it doesn't boot anymore for some reason. I will post the results if I manage to get it working. 

85Razor

85Razor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Anyone who is interested:

Eventually I managed to install 10.10.5. After installation I copied the kernel from the USB to the HDD. But for some reason I was not able to boot the HDD where Yosemite was installed. I got an immediate reboot (clover could not find kernel?). Fortunate I was able to boot my 10.10.1 installation and then I installed the kexts I needed to the 10.10.5 partition and I recopied the kernel was well. Now I was able to boot the HDD and finish the installation of 10.10.5!

Result: Microserver is running 10.10.5 booted by clover :) and it has never been so fast! Yeah! 

Edhawk

Edhawk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
@ 85Razor,

Will you share your Clover setup with us.

Can you confirm how you have set up your Clover USB? Did you use Legacy mode or EFI? I tried both and can't now remember which mode worked. I'm assuming it was legacy as the Microserver Bios is so limited.

Which version of Clover have you installed?

Which Kexts have you placed in the 10.10 folder - When I tried to setup a USB I used just the normal ones i.e. Ethernet, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement. Did you use anything different?

Can you share your config.plist (obviously first removing your serial number).

I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

Edhawk

85Razor

85Razor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi!

I still don't know what causes the boot problems with Clover but I know it's in the config file. With the right parameters it can be booted. This is what I eventually did.

Make a USB stick with Clover_v2.3k_Special edition (uploaded by chris1111). Use this: Install Yosemite, Install boot0ss in MBR, CloverEFI 64-bits SATA, INTEL HD 4600. (I only needed a correct config file and that's why I clicked intel HD 4600 option in the installer).

Next, in the config file change the intel inject line from true to false, and I changed the inject ATI to true because I have an ATI video card. Add the boot flags npci=0x2000 and -v. In the kext folder I had: FakeSMC, ethernet, NullCPUPowerManagement and the System.kext from the latest 10.10.5 kernel. Place the kernel in Systems/Library/Kernels/ on the USB stick.

That's it. Now you should boot into the installer :) Then I continued like I said in post #284.

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

My boot disk on my SL N36 has given up at the weekend. So although I have a CCC backup, I'm wondering if this is the time to consider a later version.

How have people gotten on over the last few months?

Whats the clearest step by step write up out there?

Not sure there'll be anything quite as good as Janitors original though  :)

85Razor

85Razor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I am still on 10.10.5, which is running well. Maybe that's where you want to go. I do not have any issues with it, but I am only using the server for backups...

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Guess you screen share in to manage it.

What screen res do you manage to get? I really need more than a default of 1024/768 - ideally 1680x1050

85Razor

85Razor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

You are right. Most of the time I use screen share. But that is on full resolution 1920x1080. I use an extra video card. Because I couldn't get the onboard to work. I installed 10.10.5 as described above.

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thats good news re 1920x1080 - I use 1680/1050 just because it matches the laptop I screen share from.

Think I have a 6450 video card somewhere - will have to see if I can dig it out.

I think I may give your 10.10.5 method a go at the weekend.

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

You are right. Most of the time I use screen share. But that is on full resolution 1920x1080. I use an extra video card. Because I couldn't get the onboard to work. I installed 10.10.5 as described above.

What video card do you use?

Which one is best/most compatible do you think to use with Yosemite? I'm thinking of updating the n36l from snow leopard but as I only screen share and still use the onboard graphics which doesn't work anymore on yosemite, think it's time for a little upgrade!

Thanks,

Saf

85Razor

85Razor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I use an AMD HD6450 video card. I think it Asus. It works great out out of the box :)

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

I use an AMD HD6450 video card. I think it Asus. It works great out out of the box :)

Thanks, I just need to fit the thing in now.

What distro did you use for 10.10.5? Might try and update the n36l this weekend 

85Razor

85Razor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I didn't use a distro. I made it work the way I described in post #284 and #286. Could luck and let us know you results.

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

I didn't use a distro. I made it work the way I described in post #284 and #286. Could luck and let us know you results.

Ah ok, so did use the App Store version of Yosemite?

85Razor

85Razor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Yes. 10.10.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy