[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

Edhawk

Edhawk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

We always have a bit of a convoluted journey with any hack!  The AMD Microserver requiring just a bit more patience and time than most other hack's.

I've just updated my installation to 10.9.4 with the AppStore download and I'm in the process of reverting to the previous versions of Sandbox and System kext, as otherwise you get a KP after the combo update has run its course.

Next will be getting my ATI graphics card working, at the moment the edited kexts I installed aren't loading.

Pleased to hear you have your Microserver up and running with Mavericks!  

Getting your graphics sorted will deal with the resolution issues, after rebooting in to my updated Mavericks HD my graphics card is now being recognised and using the full 1024MB of memory. If you look at the About this Mac screen it will probably show your machine is only using 5-7mb of memory for graphics!  This is why the resolution is off and the screen jumping about in safari.

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Cheers

Will play about after I've made my first backup .. time to roll out CCC (my fav)

I think I might have to install the ATI kext(s) I did when using SL to get my Graphics card to work

Incidentally, I'm running on 8GB RAM quite happily !

:-)

Not trying to run before I can walk but where are the locations of and how do you replace the old system.kext and sandbox.kext after running the 10.9.4 update ?

Just wanted to ask before I forgot :-)

Cheers

TK

Edhawk

Edhawk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

TK,

The Sandbox & System kexts should be installed with Kext Wizard of a similar tool to System/Library/Extensions (S/L/E) (backup any files that these replace).  You need to install the original files from 10.9.0 or 1, as the later kexts don't work with our kernel as Apple has changed the later versions of these two kexts so they give you a repeating error, which won't be fixed unless these older kexts are installed.

FYI the ATI kexts are now 'AMD' kexts.  You will need to update and add the Vendor/Device ID for your specific graphics card to either AMD5000Controller.kext or AMD6000Controller.kext, which kext you need to update will depend on the specific graphics card you are using, plus the you will need to confirm that your vendor/device ID are included in the AMDRadeonx3000.kext.

In my case I have a Radeon HD 6450 which has the following vendor/device ID -0x67791002, I added this to the AMDRadeonx3000.kext (info.plist) under the <key>AMDCaicosGraphicsAccelerator</key> (as this is the family for my card).  I also added this Vendor/Device ID to AMD6000Controller.Kext (info.plist), under the <key>IOPCIMatch</key> string section.

If you had your card working under Snow Leopard I am assuming you know your card's vendor/device id.  If not use MaciASL (which can be downloaded at http://maciasl.sourceforge.net ) this will help you find your card's ID.

Hope this helps.

Ed

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks Ed,

Just my luck when I think I'm making progress, things get complicated.

I did a bit of searching and found a page that Niresh owned that told me to download 2 files (AMD5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext) for the 0x68f9 whic is my ATI/Radeon 5450 512mb Graphics card.

It also told me to amend the Chameleon plist file in the Extra folder to add the following:-

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Eulemur</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Then copy the two files in the S/L/E folder and then using Kext Wizard, I should repair permissions on the S/L/E folder

Did all of this, re-booted but it made no difference

Tried it again but this time I used Kext Utility to install the two kext files, repair and reboot again (I also took out the lines from your plist file that stated the screen resolution required

Reboot and still no joy, I still have a 3mb graphics card according to my OS

Any ideas why ?, I was so confident that it was gonna work this time :-(

Might re-download the files from another site and re-try but as far as I can tell, that SHOUD have worked.

Any ideas oh great one ?

Cheers

TK 

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Try adding another string

<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>3</string>

If your card has VGA, HDMI and DVI ports.  Eulemur is the correct string for the HD5450 512MB card. Other variants might do better with other framebuffers.

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks Splonk,

My machine now recognises the video card :-)

but .. 

I still can't change the resolution (I can the refresh rate only) and the graphics are still jerky/flickery

Here's a copy of my Chameleon boot plist file but I will have another bash at this tomorrow

Cheers

TK

<key>Timeout</key>
        <string>3</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,1)</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Eulemur</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>InstantMenu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>AMD_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-f npci=0x2000</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>

restored from basic copy and copied the two modified AMD5000 and ATIX3000 kexts files, put the latest (above) Org.Chameleon plist into the Extra Folder, repaired the permissons in the S/L/E folder using Kext utility, rebooted and it still didn't work ! :-(

So I did the following:-

1. Restored the original AMD5000 and ATIX3000 kext files into S/L/E then selected "show package contents" and manually edited the info.plist file to add 0x68f9 (after the IOPCIMatch bit of the AMD5000 kext and after the Cedar bit of the ATIX300 - replacing the previous value)

2. Moved the <key>AtiPorts</key> <string>3</string>
key so that it was below the <key>AtiConfig</key> <string>Eulemur</string> key (not sure this achieved anything

3. Repaired the S/L/E folders from Kext wizard and re-booted when completed.

Low and behold it worked. Also, when I checked, I had a 1024mb of Video RAM (as I previously thought it was 512mb) :-)

The only thing that doesn't work is that I cannot manually change the resolution to anything other than the resolution in my plist file. However, will try removing it from the plist, rebooting and seeing what happens. 

Now taking backups as I've finally got a stable base platform to work from  - Thanks Ed, Splonk & Janitor
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

** Was all going too well today -  when I tried to backup using CCC it complains about a com.apple.documentationVersions plist file 
should I be concerned ?, can I just delete it and copy it from an earlier backup or will it re-create ?? ***

Cheers

TK  :rolleyes: 

Deleted the plist files in the com.apple.documentationVersions (in the 1 and 2 subfolders) and the backups run error free. 
Apparently, they are meant to keep versions of documents. Will read up/ experiment to see if they re-create !
Hope I haven't done anything serious !!

Edhawk

Edhawk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

TK,

Pleased to see you now have the last few graphics card & backup issues sorted, hope the deletion of the plist file didn't cause you any subsequent problems.

With regards the resolution change, look under Preferences/Displays and check 'Scaled' this should give you a list of resolutions your display and graphics card support in OSX, you can then select the resolution you require.  I think by default OSX selects the 'Best for display' option for your screen (as it sees things).  The Chameleon 'graphics mode' settings wouldn't restrict your ability to change the screen resolution, it just sets the resolution of the display when booting in to Chameleon.  If you are getting 1920 x 1080 resolution as standard and your screen can support higher, it may be that the graphics card can't support the higher resolution.

Also looking at your Chameleon plist settings you seem to have both the 'instant menu' and 'timeout' options set.  Out of curiosity which takes precedence?  I would recommend that you delete the 'timeout' settings if you have the machine set to dual boot or the 'instant menu' option if you are just booting in to OSX and everything is stable.  You might want to look at using Chameleon Wizard when changing your plist, as when you save the file it will order the plist in a more logical way and it might show if you have any duplicates and/or clashes.  It is also a good tool for fleshing out or revising/changing your SMBios.plist settings.

Cheers,

Ed

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hi Ed,

When I boot normally, I get the bootmenu (set to my disk/partition of choice) with a few secs to de-select it. Thne I get to choose from any of the others or add boot flags.

Have I answered your question correctly ? - not sure if I have but that's what I get.

In the case of Mavericks, I got the Niresh boot menu instead of the chameleon one, but every since booting back to SL the Niresh bootloader has stopped working and I have to use his install image (USB) to get it to load into Mavericks successfully (as it refuses to load, if I select the Mavericks image from the Chameleon boot loader).

Cheers

Tahir

Edhawk

Edhawk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Tahir,

I would delete the 'Timeout' section from your Chameleon Plist, so you just have the instant menu screen, this will only save a few seconds each time you boot, but every thing helps.

It also sounds like your Mavericks Bootloader has been corrupted by the SL Bootloader.  When you next boot in to Mavericks download and install the latest version of Chameleon from the download section on this site, run your preferred method for fixing permissions and see if that fixes the problem of having to use the USB installer.  The latest version of Chameleon should work with both Snow Leopard and Mavericks, the older Snow Leopard version of chameleon probably won't work with Mavericks.

Cheers

Ed

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Not exactly sure why but i've been getting EBIOS read error: Media Error - messages when I boot my machine ... 

I have identified the disk that's causing the problem. However, I cannot get the bootloader to load so that I can boot from another disk and sort it 

Will find my SL install disk and see if I can get to Disk Utility from there and sort it out.

Once I have, I will boot off another disk, backup the data (I have a recent copy so it's not the end of the world) and then re-format it.

The fun never stops !

**Update ** in the end I booted from my SL disk and tried to repair the disk about 20 times, until I was able to copy files off and re-format it.

On to the next issue ... 

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

A while back I had time sync issues on SL and I have the same thing on Mavericks

If I have the "sync time " selected to European time, my MicroServer loses time until I go back into the Date &Time Preferences (and then TAB) and suddenly the time fixes itself.

Is anyone else getting this ?

Does anyone know who to work around it ?

I seem to recall creating a program using automator that updated the time every hour, I will see if I can trace my steps !

Cheers

TK

Edhawk

Edhawk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Tahir,

I've not had any issues with either of my Microservers losing time.

Have a look at this web page http://apple.stackex...under-mavericks the question isn't as uncommon as you might think.

Setting a number of time servers seems to have fixed the issue for the opening question.

Hope this helps.

Ed

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks Ed,

This made a big difference

The time was a couple of mins out over a 24hr period (instead of 2 hours out - over the same period)

Will continue to monitor :-)

Cheers

TK

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Can someone help me out please,

I've googled for England, but can't figure how to make a CD which boots and runs Cameleon-2.2svn-r2377.pkg

This is because, if I (accidently) knacker Niresh's bootloader, the only way I can get it back is by booting another mac, attaching my system disk to it's usb (with connectors and wires everywhere) and then run the pkg to install on the original disk.

When I had Snow Leopard, I just downloaded and burnt the Chameleon ISO file, but there doesn't seem to be one for the version I need (see top of my post)

Any help / pointers appreciated.

Thanks very much !

TK

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Incorrect Time - Workaround

Hi all, i've been really struggling with my system time ever since going to 10.9.4 (Mavericks) on my N36L

It was so bad that I was losing about 4 hours in 24 !

So I've made a bit of an ugly workaround:-

1. I found the command to update the time from Terminal from the command line, then I managed to do it without asking for the password, separately

"echo YOURPASSWORD | sudo -S ntpdate -u uk.pool.ntp.org"

- Obviously you need to enter your password to get it to work without further prompts.

2. The next thing I did was to create a shell script in Automator (New workflow) using this Shell: /Bin/Bash (from the dropdown) and then echo YOURPASSWORD | sudo -S ntpdate -u uk.pool.ntp.org
exit

3. I saved it as an app. Now I could run the app and it would fix the time, without promting for username or password. Admittedly, you could find out my password (not great) if you looked inside this file.

4. Lastly, I downloaded a free scheduling program from here  http://www.macscheduler.net/ and set it to run the time fix app I created every 15 mins.

I'm sure there are better ways to do this (much better ways) but at least I have found a workaround and have fixed the incorrect time issue ..

If anyone knows a better way, then I am all ears .. just thought I'd share what I learned and I need to make this solution more secure !!

Cheers

TK :-)

Notice I had to enter my password

martinW

martinW

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Apologies - I know this is a bit of an old thread, but once I've got 10.9.0 installed on my N40L, what is the next supported update and which kernel are people using?

I am trying to set up OS X Server on as new a version as I can. 10.9.0 worked well for me so I went and got a graphics card since the on-board was really not working out, especially when screen sharing. The best I could come up with was a fan cooled Nvidia G210 (Asus). This works well but the fan is on 100% all the time.

I'm pretty sure it won't make any difference, but before I get my soldering iron out and make up a manual controller for the fan (since it will just sit there headless all day long), I wan to try the Nvidia Web Drivers just in case they support the card and the fan. I mistakingly updated to 10.9.5 and can no longer get anything to boot and I think it is because the 10.9.4 kernel I downloaded isn't properly supporting 10.9.5

Before I give up, I am going to wipe and go back to 10.9.0 again and would like another crack at it.

Just so people know, my main desktop machine has been an Intel Hackintosh since around early 2009 so I'm pretty familiar with everything, but it all does rather just work on that one [:)] I also have a 2013 Mac Book Air I can use too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy