Broadcom Wifi not working

TimmyK.

37 posts in this topic

awesomeness comes in a .zip :P I'm glad it was that easy :D

If I need to start a separate thread, please advise, and I will.

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-AR840E notebook that i have modded the BIOS to allow me to set ACHI and VT (hyperthreading). It has a T8100 Core2Duo 2.1Ghz CPU, nVidia 8400m GT graphic chipset onboard, a Broadcom BCM94322MC Dual Band 802.11N Mini PCI-E Wireless Card, Marvell Yukon 88E8055 LAN ethernet chipset, etc.

I am now running 10.6.7 through installation with 10.6.3 Retail Disc and Nawcom's ModCD, followed by update with 10.6.7 Combo Update. Have backed up main partition to a Backup Partition with Carbon Copy Cloner, so I have access through Chameleon to a backup SL 10.6.7 partition. I have no visible smbios.plist file in /Extra.

I cannot get to 10.6.8 without ruining WiFi connection. Have not had access to Marvell Yukon for Ethernet at any time from the initial installation with 10.6.3 DVD, through 10.6.7.

I have installed both 10.6.8, as well as 10.6.8 Combo Updates, same result. Have tried to replace Apple80211Monitor.bundle, IO80211Family.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext. Each time, Kernel Panicks.

Any help you can provide to aid me in getting to 10.6.8 with WiFi? With the Marvell Yukon Ethernet working?

Thanks in advance,

NESNFSN in Sunny South Florida

If I need to start a separate thread, please advise, and I will.

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-AR840E notebook that i have modded the BIOS to allow me to set ACHI and VT (hyperthreading). It has a T8100 Core2Duo 2.1Ghz CPU, nVidia 8400m GT graphic chipset onboard, a Broadcom BCM94322MC Dual Band 802.11N Mini PCI-E Wireless Card, Marvell Yukon 88E8055 LAN ethernet chipset, etc.

I am now running 10.6.7 through installation with 10.6.3 Retail Disc and Nawcom's ModCD, followed by update with 10.6.7 Combo Update. Have backed up main partition to a Backup Partition with Carbon Copy Cloner, so I have access through Chameleon to a backup SL 10.6.7 partition. I have no visible smbios.plist file in /Extra.

I cannot get to 10.6.8 without ruining WiFi connection. Have not had access to Marvell Yukon for Ethernet at any time from the initial installation with 10.6.3 DVD, through 10.6.7.

I have installed both 10.6.8, as well as 10.6.8 Combo Updates, same result. Have tried to replace Apple80211Monitor.bundle, IO80211Family.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext. Each time, Kernel Panicks.

Any help you can provide to aid me in getting to 10.6.8 with WiFi? With the Marvell Yukon Ethernet working?

Thanks in advance,

NESNFSN in Sunny South Florida

change smbios.plist for macbook5,1 or macbookpro6,1

moddify dsdt Device (PCI) _ADR change to _UID... done.

change smbios.plist for macbook5,1 or macbookpro6,1

moddify dsdt Device (PCI) _ADR change to _UID... done.

As I had mentioned, I cannot locate any smbios.plist file in /Extra (double-checked, yes I had stated that I have no such file). I do have the com.apple.Boot.plist, Extensions folder/directory, and an Extensions.mkext, as well as a Themes folder/directory. But no smbios.plist nor dsdt.aml file.

1. Do I really need the dsdt file if I am able to install up to 10.6.7 (last night got to 10.6.8)? What will having it do for me, and when does it need to be inserted into the /Extra folder? Only before my first reboot after installation? Before reboot after updating to 10.6.7? Before reboot after updating to 10.6.8? At any time after updating? What will happen if I do not insert the dsdt file at the appropriate time?

2. Can you provide me a smbios.plist file for macbook5,1 or macbookpro6,1????

NOTE - I have solved the WiFi Issue, as well as the extreme slowness of the OS after updating to 10.6.8, by replacing the Apple80211Monitor.bundle (even though file properties and date information are the same as from 10.6.7) with the same file from my 10.6.7 backup partition, before rebooting. I guess the bundle file gets modified somehow that does not show in finder. Did not replace the IOPCIFamily.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, nor IO80211Family.kext files that is suggested in other threads and on other website forums.

Well, first time after updating to 10.6.8, after replacing the BUNDLE file, I have to boot with -v flag (option?) otherwise KP. Thereafter, boots fine and HOUSTON, we have wireless. Still no ethernet though.

3. Any thoughts on the ethernet not being recognized by 10.6.7 or 10.6.8?

INTERESTING POINT - When executing any of the /S/L/SystemProfiler apps, and selecting Extensions, I see each of the foregoing kexts, and many others, but not, IONetworkingFamily.kext. It is in the Extensions folder/directory, as well as in /Extra. HMMMMM. Does this kext control my computer's recognition of the Marvell Yukon 88E8055 Ethernet Controller? Wonder if this is why my computer does not recognize the LAN controller.

its a miracle it works with no smbios.plist /Extra is made and used by chameleon2 . (dsdt auto-pather thread has a few extra folders)

Thanks for your reply. Can you provide any response to my 3 areas of inquiry?

1. Do I really need the dsdt file, what will it do for me, and when does it need to be inserted into the /Extra folder?

UPDATE - Created a DSDT.aml file from DSDT-Autopatcher, with file for my Sony VAIO VGN-AR840E being available on the list. Ran DSDT Editor, showed no errors and 40 optimizations. Saved DSDT.aml (made archive copy), moved DSDT.aml to /Extra, rebooted, no KP.

STILL NOT SURE WHAT THIS ACCOMPLISHES, but at least it did not crash nor cause KP.

2. Can you provide me guidance on what a smbios.plist file modified for a Macbook4,1 will accomplish????

Apparently the Macbookpro4,1 which system profiler shows as set by Nawcom's ModCD for my laptop is inaccurate (at best). It is not a Macbookpro4,1, but rather a Macbook4,1. According to EveryMac.com, my T8100 2.10 Ghz Core2Duo notebook is closest to a Macbook4,1:

Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.1 13" (White-08) Specs Identifiers: Early 2008 - MB402LL/A* - MacBook4,1 - A1181 - 2242

UPDATE - Created a smbios.plist file and inserted into /Extra. Shows my information for a Macbook4,1 within System Profiler, but About this Mac still crashes video.

3. Any thoughts on the ethernet not being recognized by 10.6.7 or 10.6.8?

Could really use your guidance as WiFI not working again after rebooting.

UPDATE - Have successfully updated computer to 10.6.8. Had to replace Apple80211Monitor.bundle after each OSX update, but WiFi is working. My Broadcom 94322M is successfully being viewed as an Airport Extreme, and no surfing issues with Firefox. However, Marvell Yukon 88E8055 ethernet card (chip) is still not found by kextstat or through System Profiler.

Also, still cannot get nVidia 8600m GT recognized, but use Graphics Mode in apple.com.Boot.plist to set to 1280x1024x32. Wish I could get CE/QE to work, and card recognized. I suspect that it would help with video quality and ability to watch MLB online (sound by blank screen currently).

So, I am only looking for help now on Ethernet (Marvell Yukon) and perhaps the nVidia chip if anyone can help.

try injecting video nvidia 8600m with right NVCAP for that vaio in dsdt. disable GraphicsEnabler=No

try MacBook5,1

or MacBookPro6,1 (auto-patcher thread has it in /Extra folders)

i was using 4,1 thne tried 5,1 then tried pro6,1 and it works best for me. cooler temps graphics load faster in browser

but 5,1 probably works best for u. (its a mechanism of graphics states and power states per model thing)

the marvell yukon i cant help as i never messed with it.. but i hear u had to put your network card mac address in the info.plist (on dell xps m1530)

im sure someone out there has more info on it (vaio threads)

by the way modded bios.. does it have HPET enable mode ? 32 or 64 or auto ? (or probably works fine as it is)

try injecting video nvidia 8600m with right NVCAP for that vaio in dsdt. disable GraphicsEnabler=No

try MacBook5,1

or MacBookPro6,1 (auto-patcher thread has it in /Extra folders)

i was using 4,1 thne tried 5,1 then tried pro6,1 and it works best for me. cooler temps graphics load faster in browser

but 5,1 probably works best for u. (its a mechanism of graphics states and power states per model thing)

the marvell yukon i cant help as i never messed with it.. but i hear u had to put your network card mac address in the info.plist (on dell xps m1530)

im sure someone out there has more info on it (vaio threads)

by the way modded bios.. does it have HPET enable mode ? 32 or 64 or auto ? (or probably works fine as it is)

1. Well, I got a monitor from my office, VGA cable and RCA mini jack connector cable and am hooked up with Graphics Enabled YES at 1600x1200x32. System Profiler shows my video card as GeForce 8600 M GT, PCIe Bus, Slot-1, x16, with 512Mb RAM, Vendo - NVIDIA (0x10de), Device ID - 0x047, Revision ID - 0x00a1, hooked up to my Samsung SyncMaster at 1600x1200 @60 Hz, with 32-bit color. No mention of Quartz Extreme or CE.

However, at Display Connector ( I assume my internal connector), it states: No Display Connected. Currently, my internal display is black/blank.

Any thoughts as to whether I can extract any useful info for my internal display while hooked up to my Samsung external monitor?

2. As for your suggestion: "try injecting video nvidia 8600m with right NVCAP for that vaio in dsdt. disable GraphicsEnabler=No" What will this do? Before I had hooked up a monitor, I had not used GraphicsEnabler other than to see what happened if I inserted Yes. At boot and again later in apple.com.Boot.plist, I ended up with black/blank internal screen. So, never used GE = NO.

Can you explain to me what the NVCAP will do, what commands/software do I need to get it, and how do I inject it into my dsdt.aml file?

3. I have loaded the settings for MacBook4,1 (not pro) into my simbios.plist file. Closest CPU to my Sony VAIO which has a T8100. Will I get problems by changing over to MacBookPro5,1 or 6,1? Benefits? The video is pretty smooth on external monitor, but not sure if it is giving me QE/CE. But pretty good. Periodic crackle in sound over headphone based cable to monitor.

4. Marvell Yukon - I am 100% lost on what to do to get this working. But I have been at this company on and off for over 1 year at this point, and nearly there. Refuse to surrender to this circuitry. The info.plist file within the kexts installed already has my card's info in it, but not the MAC address. If you can find where you heard that and share it, I would appreciate that.

Looking forward to your responses hopefully to all or some of the 4 areas above.

nesnfsn in sunny (Rain, Lightning and Thunder presently) Florida

• 2 weeks later...
macBook5,1 not Pro

or 6,1 PRO.

nvcap determines outputs on nvidia.

check out the _DOS _DCS _DGS _DSS in dsdt. usualy the _DOS and _DOD is for changing screens.

your device id is 0x407 not 0x047 .. right ?

From my SystemProfilerReport while having a Samsung SyncMaster monitor hooked up, here's the information from that section:

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIeLaneWidth: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 60.84.69.00.37

Displays:

Display Connector:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 75 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

DisplaySerialNumber: H1AK500000

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

CONSEQUENTLY, it appears that my Device ID is actually 0x0407, and not 0x407 as you had asked.

Does this help? Change your opinion?

nesnfsn

let me see your dsdt

dsdt.aml file attached, as provided by MaLdOn on April 6th.

Note, that his comments following the dsdt file were as follows:

DTGP

EHCI

FN

HPET

IOATA

IRQs

OS

PNLF

RENAME

RTC

SMBUS

SHUTDOWN

FIX ERRORS

FIX WARNING

Subsequent to his provision of the dsdt file in April, I had modded the Vaio's BIOS with assistance from Ahmed (and Kizwan) from BIOS-Mods.com. Now provides for AHCI and HT Virtualization settings. Still no Ethernet LAN recognized, and internal display does not play well with nVidia 8600M GT. nVidia works fine with external monitor when hooked up to notebook, recognizes nVidia 8600 M GT 512MB.

ttry this.. i doubt it works but its a shot

boot with -v GraphicsEnabler=No with this dsdt

i didnt see the normal acpi _DOD and other stuff.so u got a strange acpi implementation. ill look further into it.

i added

CODE

Device (NGFX)

{

Method (_ADR, 0, Serialized)

{

DBGC (0x62, Zero, BCEN)

Return (Zero)

}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x16)

{

"@0,built-in",

Buffer (One)

{

0x01

},

"@0,compatible",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

},

"@0,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

},

"@0,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-A"

},

"@1,compatible",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

},

"@1,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

},

"@1,display-cfg",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x01

},

"@1,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-B"

},

"NVCAP",

Buffer (0x18)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00,

/* 0008 */ 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x0D)

{

"NVDA,Parent"

},

"model",

Buffer (0x18)

{

"NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

OperationRegion (NVFX....rest of code

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...8556&st=580

dsdt.aml.zip