MacBook Upgrade to Intel Core 2 Duo a Possibility?

NetsTen

18 posts in this topic

Just bought my MacBook 2 days ago. Thought it seemed like the right time ... little did I know what was waiting for me today. So, I found out that the Intel Core 2 Duo processor will be incorporated in laptops in the near future, and I'm sure the MacBook is no exception. Anyway, my question: would it be possible to upgrade my current MacBook CPU to the new chip? Can the CPU be easily popped out? Or is it soldered? :blink:

>Yes it would be possible, with a 99.99999% garanty of a broken laptop afterwards.

Not quite accurate. Assuming you have the proper skills and tools, it shouldn't altogether be that complicated of a process. Granted, if you use a 30$ radioshack/the source soldering iron, you're bound to break your macbook. But if you have a hot air rework station it's definitely a possibility.

In fact, desoldering of SMD parts is done quite often. This does make it outside of the range of possibility for most end users, including the topic starter.

>Why would they solder it. that is just plain stupid!!!

It makes total sense from a marketing point of view.

Erik006

actually, the cpu, NB, SB and other parts like this are not using normal SMD soldering techniques. they are soldered using some metal balls between their "pins" and the PCB. I don't think you will ever take one out without breaking the thing

I always assumed the MacBook Pro would get the upgrade to Core Duo 2 but the MacBook stay as it - atm there isnt much performance for everyday use between the two and one cost twice the price.

When the MacBook Pro comes out with Merom and Leopard I will upgrade from my MacBook.

Not quite accurate. Assuming you have the proper skills and tools, it shouldn't altogether be that complicated of a process. Granted, if you use a 30$ radioshack/the source soldering iron, you're bound to break your macbook. But if you have a hot air rework station it's definitely a possibility.

In fact, desoldering of SMD parts is done quite often. This does make it outside of the range of possibility for most end users, including the topic starter.

>Why would they solder it. that is just plain stupid!!!

It makes total sense from a marketing point of view.

Erik006

Yes this is very true. Problem is that professional rework stations start at about $3,000. Not something you can have around just for a one-time project. However, there are companies that will do this kind of work for around $50-$100 depending on where you go. Personally I think that's the best option, because then it's being done by people who are experienced at this procedure.

The name "Core 2 Duo" applies to Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest...

Woodcrest is Xeon.

Anyways, the processor is BGA, and to desolder a Yonah, cut the pins off a Merom, and solder the Merom on isn't worth the >10 percent speed increase. IMO of course. I'll be getting a MacBook Pro though.