Apple, you saved my life!

1 post in this topic

I have been using computers since the mid 80s, and have always been an avid Windows user. Lately, I have become.. well, bored of Windows and it's lack of features I find critical in my day to day life.

I have, over the past few years, moved over to Linux as my desktop (namely Ubuntu), which was an easy transition as I use Linux exclusively at my work place (Software Development, specifically for Embedded devices).

Anyhow, with the latest moves from Ubunti (Unity), and Gnome 3 (need I say more), I was sickened by the direction they have taken and do not seem to be learning from their mistakes. I had to make a choice. Stick with Linux and hope somebody grows a brain cell and realizes they should not screw up a good thing, or move back to Windows.....

Neither choice sat well with me.

Out of desperation to find something I can actually use, and feel comfortable using without all the shortcomings, I went out and purchased a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail DVD and installed it on my home laptop (Alienware m15x) with the help of MyHack. I have been using it for a month now, and have to say I am overly impressed, and extremely happy with my system, for the first time in memory. It runs flawlessly, stable, and even has all the apps I need, and posix compatibility I require for work and side projects.

I now see where Gnome 3, and Ubuntu unity have taken many of their ideas from.. but implemented them in a flawed fashion that is only driving Linux users away, instead of attracting them.

OSX has improved tremendously over the years, but it has maintained two important things... user friendliness, and consistency.

I don't know if I will be purchasing an Apple computer yet, but I do know I will be more than happy to dish out hard cash for any OS X update that is available, and compatible with my systems.