Laughing at Longhorn

Horatio

54 posts in this topic

Hello again,

I do have that ability, but there are only three options. 800x600, 1024x758, and 1280x1024. I generally use 1152x864. Sadly, that's not avaliable. Also, how did you get the games working? With me, using the lddm drivers i can't get hardware acceleration. Did you install the normal nvidia drivers over the lddm ones? And what gfx card do you have?

And by the way, how did you get the projector icon there? It's not there for me... Is is because you're using a laptop and it has a different interface connection with the screen that causes it to be considered a projector?

Well lets see.

im using a desktop pc,I have an ati 9600 xt 256 and am using the lddm drivers.also if you have areo woking then you have acceleration.your games need to be in 1024x768 or higher or they will look messed up or not work.look in help and support for where the presentation settings are and enable them.presentation settings just come up for me.but maybe thats because i have a video out on my video card.Even if you dont have video out look for and enable the presentation settings.

you will have to do some searching in help and support to find them.Maybe they will be listed under programs in adminstrative tools or accessories.I dont have longhorn up right now so i cant tell you the exact location of the presentation settings.But look and you will find.

If those are all the resolutions that show then its because the lddm drivers are still beta and thats all they put in to the drivers.you can run vista with the xp pro drivers from nvidiambut you will be giving up Areo.

Hello again,

I do have that ability, but there are only three options. 800x600, 1024x758, and 1280x1024. I generally use 1152x864. Sadly, that's not avaliable. Also, how did you get the games working? With me, using the lddm drivers i can't get hardware acceleration. Did you install the normal nvidia drivers over the lddm ones? And what gfx card do you have?

And by the way, how did you get the projector icon there? It's not there for me... Is is because you're using a laptop and it has a different interface connection with the screen that causes it to be considered a projector?

You need to install your graphic drivers, that should solve the problem.

You need to install your graphic drivers, that should solve the problem.

Yes, but by doing that I don't have the nice aero interface, which to me is probably more important than the resolution. I would get better 3D acceleration though...

JaS, did you have any problems during installation? When i'm booting off of the dvd, once i get to the stage where it actually starts installing it gives me a popup about how the Setup cannot continue or something like that. If i install from windows, when i reboot and choose the "Longhorn Setup" option, i get a bsod. Any problems like that and/or any solutions?

the bsod is cuz it doesnt have drivers for SATA hard drives

put drivers for sata on a floppy

boot from longhorn dvd and begin setup

click on the box that allows you to select where to install windows

(the list should be blank as setup cannot see your hard drive)

under the list is says "load drivers" insert floppy and click load drivers

good luck

ps this wrked for me in build 5112 with ata133

the bsod is cuz it doesnt have drivers for SATA hard drives

If you read my later posts, you would have seen that that wasn't the case. I unplugged the sata drive and went back into Vista. I installed the drivers, and they installed fine. I plugged the drive back in and got the bsod. It turns out, as I posted, that the old winxp bootloader (even if you use the new bootloader and boot off of the xp disk) cannot correctly start Vista. You have to install Vista on a drive and give it it's own Vista bootloader for it to work.

-------------------------------

For the rest of the people following this, has anyone figured out how to link the Vista bootloader to an XP bootloader? I haven't been able to figure out how. Would you link it to the Windows/WINNT folder or to the boot.ini file? I've tried both and neither work. I haven't tried all combinations of options, though. Any ideas?

Its the icon that looks like a projector .. (look at the pic i posted you can see it there) ... by the clock.Right click on it and enable presentation settings.Also games will look bad and have lines running down them if you dont use 1024x786 rez.

Thanks for the info! I am having a problem though.. I am running build 5219, and I don't have a project icon in my system tray... Is there any other way to enable presentation settings?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I am having a problem though.. I am running build 5219, and I don't have a project icon in my system tray... Is there any other way to enable presentation settings?

Thanks!

Does your video card have tv out or dual monitor support?

You will need to look in help and support for how to enable them if it doesnt just come up.

When i install vista 5219 it just comes up automaticly for me,but i have s-video out and dual monitor support

Does your video card have tv out or dual monitor support?

You will need to look in help and support for how to enable them if it doesnt just come up.

When i install vista 5219 it just comes up automaticly for me,but i have s-video out and dual monitor support

Hi Jas, thanks for the quick response! Yes, I do have video out. I am running a PCI-E Gforce 6600 GT video card with the alpha Nvidia LDDM driver. I checked the 'help and support' as you suggested and search for presentation, and there is a help item called 'adjust network presentation settings' but when I click on it it just says topic cannot be found. I even told help to connect to the internet which it did and it still could not find any articles for presentation. Is there any chance you could boot up vista and help us find this? I really need to get 3D & Audio working. (I am assuming the laggy and crappy audio is due to presentation settings being off. I have installed all nvidia vista drivers including audio and networking. It's a gforce4 amd 64 board.)

Thanks in advance!

mefree

It's also funny to see how vista has drivers for virtually all current ati/nvidia cards while osx86 can only support one integrated one.

This is not true. OSx86 can support other drivers, Apple just has not released them as means to control the spread of OSx86.

See this site for the MacVidia site for more details:

http://macvidia.plusmediamusic.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Hi JaS!

I dont supose you could help me out? Or anyone else for that matter. I installed Vista just the other night and have been messing around with it. It seemed to have installed my NVIDIA 6800 GT drivers already. When I downloaded the 75.03 drivers, it says it cant install drivers because it doesnt support the hardware. ?? It's a BFG 6800 GT PCI-e.

Second off, I tried installing the nForce drivers and Audio drivers from NVIDIA and still no luck. I point it at the directory and just says it cant find driver information.

Lastly, where do I put the side bar program at? I can run it, but it wont let me put Parts into it. How do I direct it to the Parts directory?

Thanks JaS, if you can answer ANY of these questions, even if just one, i'd be greatful! ;) Take it easy!

Oh, I forgot to add I'm using an MSI K8N Neo4 SLI board, AMD 64 FX-55, 1 GB of DDR400, WD740GD Sata, NEC Dual Layer burner, Plextor Sata burner. Dont know if any of this helps out, but just incase, rather add the info now.

I tried some of the earlier longhorn builds(alpha quality) and was unimpressed, compared to OSX. Beyond the install time, I found that longhorn was more unstable than XP, and while I know it was an alpha, it was pretty unstable. OSX on the other hand, feels very slick and easy to use!

I dont supose you could help me out? Or anyone else for that matter. I installed Vista just the other night and have been messing around with it. It seemed to have installed my NVIDIA 6800 GT drivers already. When I downloaded the 75.03 drivers, it says it cant install drivers because it doesnt support the hardware. ?? It's a BFG 6800 GT PCI-e.

I had the same problem. The way to fix it is to navigate to the folder where you extracted the setup files for the driver. Look around in there for the .sys file and the .inf file. Open up the properties page for your graphics card in device manager. Go to the drivers tab, and select update driver. Choose "Advanced" or "Select from a List" or whatever the second option is. Choose the bottom radio button on the next page that says a similar thing. Don't have it search for drivers. Click the have disk button. Then navigate to the folder with the .inf file and select it. Choose the item that now appears in the list. It will now install the 75.03 lddm drivers.

For everyone, if you have problems installing drivers using a setup program supplied with the drivers, follow the same general procedure. Find the folder containing the .sys and .inf files and follow the same above steps but going into the properties for the thing that you are installing the drivers for, and choosing the directory with the right files. Hope this is helpful. Post if you have any questions.

WARNING!!! - If you don't know if you have found the correct .sys and .inf file, don't do this. Normally, XP wouldn't let you install the wrong drivers, but there could be problems due to the beta status. DO NOT take any risks. If you want to install a chipset or other driver, too bad. Chipset drivers are not single drivers, and are much more difficult to install, since the installers for chipset drivers use many different .sys files. Also, I'm not liable for anything you do that comprimises your computer. This is how I installed my drivers, and it worked fine for me. Do at your own risk.

I had the same problem. The way to fix it is to navigate to the folder where you extracted the setup files for the driver. Look around in there for the .sys file and the .inf file. Open up the properties page for your graphics card in device manager. Go to the drivers tab, and select update driver. Choose "Advanced" or "Select from a List" or whatever the second option is. Choose the bottom radio button on the next page that says a similar thing. Don't have it search for drivers. Click the have disk button. Then navigate to the folder with the .inf file and select it. Choose the item that now appears in the list. It will now install the 75.03 lddm drivers.

For everyone, if you have problems installing drivers using a setup program supplied with the drivers, follow the same general procedure. Find the folder containing the .sys and .inf files and follow the same above steps but going into the properties for the thing that you are installing the drivers for, and choosing the directory with the right files. Hope this is helpful. Post if you have any questions.

WARNING!!! - If you don't know if you have found the correct .sys and .inf file, don't do this. Normally, XP wouldn't let you install the wrong drivers, but there could be problems due to the beta status. DO NOT take any risks. If you want to install a chipset or other driver, too bad. Chipset drivers are not single drivers, and are much more difficult to install, since the installers for chipset drivers use many different .sys files. Also, I'm not liable for anything you do that comprimises your computer. This is how I installed my drivers, and it worked fine for me. Do at your own risk.

Good info.Great way to work around a problem.

There is also another way to do it and i will post it here for you guys.

go to your setup file and right click on it.

Go down the menu to properties and click on it

Next click on the Compatablity tab.

Click the box that says run this program in compatability mode for : and pick windows xp from the combo box.

Click apply and then click ok.

The setup file will now install

Good luck

Are you serious?!?!?!?! I was so mad that I couldn't install my chipset drivers. Well, thnx a lot for that much easier way to solve the problem.

Btw, anyone know a contact at nVidia? I was hoping to contact them asking when they were going to release another version of the lddm drivers. I've searched their site through and through, and they don't list email addresses for support people anywhere. Any ideas?

So, has anyone found a way to enable presentation features if you don't have the icon in the system tray?

Any info would be very helpful!

By the way, saying that OSX is more stable than vista is a truly insane comment. Of course it is, it is a production grade OS, and Vista isn't even to beta 2, and is not yet feature complete. That means it's not even finished being written yet. Of course it's not going to be as stable... Obviously you've never beta tested anything before.

Thanks!

Awesome help man! Works beautifullly. Now I can get the glass edges and the 3D winkey+space working. Although my system is lagging a bit now. I guess it's due to the fact I have all the special effects enabled in properties. Guess I'll need another 1GB of memory. Thanks again!

Good info.Great way to work around a problem.

There is also another way to do it and i will post it here for you guys.

go to your setup file and right click on it.

Go down the menu to properties and click on it

Next click on the Compatablity tab.

Click the box that says run this program in compatability mode for : and pick windows xp from the combo box.

Click apply and then click ok.

The setup file will now install

Good luck

Hey JaS,

I tried to do your way first, but for some reason even with it enabled as Windows XP, it said that it does not suport any of the Hardware I have. Weird. I just wanted to let you knkow for the furture. I do apreciate the help! This is an awesome board.

This question is a little off this topic, but I'm just goign to shoot it real quick. Best way to install Windows XP and OSx86, use a program like Partician Magic and make seperate partitions and install on them regularly? (Never tried to install more than one OS, built computers all the time though.)

Thanks!

First of all hi to all of you! :)

I found a link to this topic somewhere, i cant really remember.

Well just read everything, but after several hours of searching and testing, I

Still couldnt find a waz to use that cool 3D Window Cake thingy, I cant find the Presentation

mode either.

Can anyone give furhter advise_ :huh:

First of all hi to all of you! :)

I found a link to this topic somewhere, i cant really remember.

Well just read everything, but after several hours of searching and testing, I

Still couldnt find a waz to use that cool 3D Window Cake thingy, I cant find the Presentation

mode either.

Can anyone give furhter advise_ :)

Did you install the lddm drivers? I couldnt get mine to work either untill I loaded the lddm drivers through the advice from above. Now when I press the winkey+spacebar it works. Before it did nothing.

First: For everyone wanting a nice sidebar, try downloading a program called Codename Dashboard. It's a winxp program that was made to look like the longhorn sidebar. I don't know how well it will work in vista, but it's worth a try.

Second: One way to solve WPA is to mess around with it in the registry. I don't know where it is in vista, but it's probably somewhere in the local machine top-level folder and then in microsoft. Try both windows and windows nt. They have different files in them. Oddly, i downloaded a non cracked install disk and I don't get any WPA doodle. Hmmm...

Third: I wish people luck with the installing driver stuff. Dunno why it's not working. You might need to mess around with the inf files for the drivers some, or something. Try changing the name of the xp section to vista. Dunno. Maybe try an older compatibility mode, and mess around with some of the options. Not sure. If anybody finds anything, post it quickly. I know that i'm not the only person waiting to install their chipset drivers.

Fourth: I will love anyone (in a non-homosexual way) that figures out how to use the presentation settings without plugging in a projector. Btw, JaS, my card has DVI-out, VGA-out, and S-Video out. I can use two monitors. I still can't access presentation settings. So that's not the issue. I'll try activating the other "monitor" (because there's only one plugged in, but vista sees two). Maybe that will help. Doubt it though.

Oddly, the WPA thing finally appeared for me. I chose to verify my computer. It contacted the microsoft website, and deemed my computer genuine. LMFAO!!! Well, that's a good way to get around it... :)

Responding to my previous post, you can't activate a monitor that doesn't exist. Too bad. Any other ideas?

Guess I'll need another 1GB of memory.

Noooooooooooo.

The memory is not the issue. The issue is the fact that nVidia has not put in any special stuff into these lddm drivers, so even good gfx cards will lag. Just wait until the next release of the drivers. If that doesn't help enough, get a new gfx card.

I have a 80gig hd with 2 partitions. I have 1 partition with windows xp pro. The second partition is empty, 10gigs.

Can I install Vista on the 10gig partition and have the option to boot into either windows xp pro or vista?

This is my 1st attempt at a duel boot system. Thanks for any info.

Oddly, the WPA thing finally appeared for me. I chose to verify my computer. It contacted the microsoft website, and deemed my computer genuine. LMFAO!!! Well, that's a good way to get around it... :)

Responding to my previous post, you can't activate a monitor that doesn't exist. Too bad. Any other ideas?

Noooooooooooo.

The memory is not the issue. The issue is the fact that nVidia has not put in any special stuff into these lddm drivers, so even good gfx cards will lag. Just wait until the next release of the drivers. If that doesn't help enough, get a new gfx card.

yeah, unlike XP that, if i remember good, keeps telling you about the WPA for the 30 days, Vista only tells you when you need to activate. I don't see how the microsoft genuine test thing could make you bypass the WPA..

There was a very interesting article on (I think it was here):

http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkLogin?a...ays_us_page_one

But I can't quite remember. That is the only thing in my history that matches the article (now it requires a login, the other day it didn't). The article was quite lengthy, and basically was written from the standpoint of the engineer-in-charge of the Vista project who reports directly to Bill Gates.

Basically, he went to BG and said that they couldn't get Longhorn to work. That all the thousands of pieces of code that each of the thousands of engineers had written, were too buggy and couldn't be properly integrated.

BG pushed him to keep trying. He did, but it still wouldn't work. He sold BG on a way of making Windows more stable. They went back to the most basic and stable code they had from a Server version of Windows (with absolutely no features, etc.) and started from there (basically throwing out ALL the Longhorn code). He implemented standards and safeguards that would detect when engineers wrote bad code, and if too many bugs were present, it would prevent that engineers code from being integrated into the main code. And apparently it worked.

If this really is true, I can't wait to get a hold of Vista CPP (Corporate Preview) to play around with! It sounds to me like it should become more stable than XP (which for me is pretty stable, most of the time...). Still not as stable as OS X, though... in 4+ years of using OS X, I think I've been locked out of my computer about 10 times, 8 of them were with 10.0 and had to do with bugs in that version. The latest one was because I woke up my computer and one of my hard disks didn't spin up (problems) and caused a kernal panic. Other than that, rock solid!

So this topic should more accurately say "Laughing at Vista" than "Laughing at Longhorn", as Longhorn is dead. :)