Laughing at Longhorn

Horatio

54 posts in this topic

So I've got two computers going right now. On one I'm installing OSX86 and on the other I'm installing Vista. OS X install screws up and I have to start over after being over halfway done. Second time though, screws up again (but different problems in the error log) whatever, third time's the charm right? Sure enough, beautiful install, which I'm posting this off of right now (still no audio, but w/e fix that later). Meanwhile Vista Beta 1, which MS is currently debuting to develpers/media people and is going to make public in less them a month is barely half way through its install.... And the Hacked up, unsupported OS X is finished.... I'm sorry but I just find that hilarious!!! B)

Yes i Agree that it takes some time to install ... about 1 hour on my rig.But once its on its fast and stable for me.Also if you set the presentation settings ON.There off by defaut,Then you can play games and everything else just like xp.The games and movies look sharper with this build of Vista and i have to say i like it alot.And I do like Os X 86 and have put my time into it ... but .... after a month and a half of hacking away at it,it is nice to install vista and play my games and all again.I could have with xp but i like working with beta and Alpha O/S's :D

Something I thought was cool about vista is that when you do this effect the game still plays.The sidebar is disabled Or is not present in this build im not sure yet.I guess i will have to wait and see if anyone finds it in the next few weeks.

here is a pic.

The reason I was wondering is that i have a 250 gb drive with two versions of windows xp (one not working). My 80 gb drive has macos. I was hoping that I could upgrade the not working xp so that I would be able to keep all of the installed programs. I guess i'll just make my macos partition smaller. :(

By the way, do XP drivers work? And also, does DirectX run on it? Just curious, wanting to see if I can run some of my pirated games on my pirated os for fun. (I don't have a legally owned os on my computer at the moment :P).

By the way, JaS, I heard that a while ago when Vista was still Longhorn, MS decided to scrap the sidebar. What a pity. I had the main leaked build of Longhorn, and the sidebar was the best part, with the drag and drop trash bin and the large clock and all of the other fun widgets. Hopefully they'll include it, or maybe it's hidden away in Vista Beta1 somewhere. I'll take a look.

By the way, I looked at your screenshot and it said that you were running Vista Beta2?!?!?!?!?!? MS just released Beta1 to developers and hasn't even made it public yet! How did you get Beta2? Or is that Beta1 with some little workaround to make it say Beta2?

JaS, did you have any problems during installation? When i'm booting off of the dvd, once i get to the stage where it actually starts installing it gives me a popup about how the Setup cannot continue or something like that. If i install from windows, when i reboot and choose the "Longhorn Setup" option, i get a bsod. Any problems like that and/or any solutions?

The version i have is forked off beta 2.Its the version they gave out at the PDC 2005 this last week.The side bar is still in vista just not this build.You can run games.Vista has directx 9c right now but will ship with directnext(DX10).I didnt get any errors but then again im using ide not sata.Try installing it on your ide drive that should fix the problem.

I was installing it (i downloaded Beta2) on the ide drive. When i unplugged the power connector from the sata drive, the bsod disappeared and the installation went fine. It runs fine. (No glass effects tho... :)) When I plugged the power back into the sata drive and tried to boot back into vista, i got the bsod again. Chkdsk /F on my sata drive partitions takes a year. Seriously, it takes 20 minutes to do one percent. Meh. Any ideas?

I was installing it (i downloaded Beta2) on the ide drive. When i unplugged the power connector from the sata drive, the bsod disappeared and the installation went fine. It runs fine. (No glass effects tho... :() When I plugged the power back into the sata drive and tried to boot back into vista, i got the bsod again. Chkdsk /F on my sata drive partitions takes a year. Seriously, it takes 20 minutes to do one percent. Meh. Any ideas?

Try installing the drivers for your sata controler while inside vista,Before you plug it back it ;).If that doesnt work dont use the sata drive.Also get the lddm drivers for your card from your card manufacturers site here http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_75.03.html

you just had to try to use the sata didnt you.Nothings ever goiod enuff for some people lol ITs a beta remeber that.

Well, I finally found the problem. This is probably going to be annoying to users who are dualbooting xp and something else and are replacing the other os with vista. It turns out that you get a bsod STOP error if you try to boot vista using the xp bootloader. You need to install vista when there are no other drives in the system, so that it installs a new bootloader for vista. Then, once it's installed, you need to add an entry in the boot.ini file so that you can access the xp bootloader through the vista one. That should work backwards compatibly. I haven't tried yet though. Also, thnx for the lddm drivers. I was just about to ask for those.

I also installed this build, seems to run fine, altho sometimes it lags a bit when u enable all eye-candy with the lddm drivers.

JaS; how did u those windows to lineup like that (as in ur screenie); is there a keyboard shortcut or something ?

I couldnt find anywhere how to pile up ur windows in 3d mode...

plz tell me :)

I did get the glass effects etc, and the new alt-tab, and the little screenshots above the taskbar etc, so it uses 3d allright.

Yes i Agree that it takes some time to install ... about 1 hour on my rig.But once its on its fast and stable for me.Also if you set the presentation settings ON.There off by defaut,Then you can play games and everything else just like xp.The games and movies look sharper with this build of Vista and i have to say i like it alot.And I do like Os X 86 and have put my time into it ... but .... after a month and a half of hacking away at it,it is nice to install vista and play my games and all again.I could have with xp but i like working with beta and Alpha O/S's :D

Something I thought was cool about vista is that when you do this effect the game still plays.The sidebar is disabled Or is not present in this build im not sure yet.I guess i will have to wait and see if anyone finds it in the next few weeks.

here are a pic.

Yeah great effects and guess which graphics adapter hasn't got a proper driver for it yet...Intel GMA 900. Funny to see how osx86 supports it 100% with all effects and vista doesn't.

That's because the GMA900 isn't a very good graphics card. Also, Vista doesn't use simple transparency, it blurs the image below the transparent stuff as though you were looking through glass (hence the name of the Theme thingy). This causes it to take more gfx processing power. Also, there will probably be support for it once the beta is publicly released, and Intel will probably release lddm drivers for it.

Yeah great effects and guess which graphics adapter hasn't got a proper driver for it yet...Intel GMA 900. Funny to see how osx86 supports it 100% with all effects and vista doesn't.

It's also funny to see how vista has drivers for virtually all current ati/nvidia cards while osx86 can only support one integrated one.

I also installed this build, seems to run fine, altho sometimes it lags a bit when u enable all eye-candy with the lddm drivers.

JaS; how did u those windows to lineup like that (as in ur screenie); is there a keyboard shortcut or something ?

I couldnt find anywhere how to pile up ur windows in 3d mode...

plz tell me :(

I did get the glass effects etc, and the new alt-tab, and the little screenshots above the taskbar etc, so it uses 3d allright.

Just press winkey+spacebar at the same time and release them and they will stay like that.Then use the wheel on your mouse to flip thrught them.to release the 3d windows just press the winkey again.

hope this helps out.

(Edited to remove warez)

how do u enable the presentation settings? i cant run games in win vista ;)

Its the icon that looks like a projector .. (look at the pic i posted you can see it there) ... by the clock.Right click on it and enable presentation settings.Also games will look bad and have lines running down them if you dont use 1024x786 rez.

One, where did you find the sidebar? Was it something that was released by MS, or did someone crack it from a previous version?

Two, what exactly do the presentation settings do?

Wow no hello just demand this info demand that info.... hmmm.

A hi JaS would be nice.Maybe a thank you for the info and hookup on the sidebar.

One,I picked it up somehwhere.

Two.The presentation settings set up the video to allow gaming and other things like puting your pc video out to a projector.I dont think it was MS's intention to allow gaming in the beta but it is an enevitable side effect.

Anyway i hope this info helped you out on the presentation settings.

Good luck and i hope you have vista working smooth and also that the info in this thread helped.

Regards,

JaS

Hi JaS,

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Any ideas on how to make it so that the display supports more resolutions? I hate running my monitor at 1024x768. It's too small.

Hi Stern,

Your Welcome ;)

you should be able to just right click in the desktop and pick properties then go to the display tab and set what rez you want there. :P

Hello again,

I do have that ability, but there are only three options. 800x600, 1024x758, and 1280x1024. I generally use 1152x864. Sadly, that's not avaliable. Also, how did you get the games working? With me, using the lddm drivers i can't get hardware acceleration. Did you install the normal nvidia drivers over the lddm ones? And what gfx card do you have?

And by the way, how did you get the projector icon there? It's not there for me... Is is because you're using a laptop and it has a different interface connection with the screen that causes it to be considered a projector?