ATI Radeon 5400 or 5000 series on Lion Full QE CI

terranova2142

22 posts in this topic

Thanks dude, Mac OS X Lion work perfectly fine with ATI HD Radeon 5450.

For information of others,

There is no need for ATY_Init.kext or modifying any other ATI kext(s).

I just put the ATI ROM in /extra folder (1002_68f9.rom), since, i have it on my snow installation already, and added an extra key in extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Haven't tried it without the ROM, but i guess it works since Schutzstaffel38 has got it working without it.

• 1 month later...
Yep, HD5450 works very well on Lion 10.7 retail, all you need is is ati5000injector.kext in E/E and it works perfectly with QE/CL.

The method was originally developed for Snow (and required a modded ATY_Init and a captured ROM image, in addition to ATI5000Injector.kext there). Fortunately, because Lion supports the entire GPU family directly, all that's needed is ATI5000Injector.kext (in /System/Library/Extensions). If you use the USB flash installer method (or the HDD-partition source/xMove method), putting ATI5000Injector.kext (along with FakeSMC.kext, of course) in /S/L/E of that partition gives you full resolution support in the install as well.

That is, in fact, why I'm not exactly rushing to look at new GPUs for upgrading the Hack side of things, despite falling prices for HD6790, as I'm not sure if it works in Lion (or Snow) *at all*.

The method was originally developed for Snow (and required a modded ATY_Init and a captured ROM image, in addition to ATI5000Injector.kext there). Fortunately, because Lion supports the entire GPU family directly, all that's needed is ATI5000Injector.kext (in /System/Library/Extensions). If you use the USB flash installer method (or the HDD-partition source/xMove method), putting ATI5000Injector.kext (along with FakeSMC.kext, of course) in /S/L/E of that partition gives you full resolution support in the install as well.

That is, in fact, why I'm not exactly rushing to look at new GPUs for upgrading the Hack side of things, despite falling prices for HD6790, as I'm not sure if it works in Lion (or Snow) *at all*.

I'm not an expert but all I did to get my HD5450 working on 10.6.8 is to put ATI5000injector in E/E, I never used any ATY_Init or ROM images.

Same with Lion (and I already upgraded to 10.7.1 and had no problem with the GPU at all).

Hey Dude This Kexts From my TOpic :D But Ok

Das ist mein kext,this is my kext,not your kext :D:hysterical:

In mac os x install usb,ati 5450 work

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For anyone having frame buffer issues with a ATI 5450 such as opening the dvd player, I fixed this on my Sapphire ATI 5450 by changing the frame buffer to "Eulemur" my card is now recognized as a 5400 series instead of the 5000 series and I have full QE/CI.

Add this to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Eulemur</string>

• 1 month later...

I am having quite a bit of difficulties on my system running 10.7.3 and just can't seem to get this right. I just bought an Asus 5450 HD Silent card tonight and haven't had any luck getting this to work.

http://canadacompute...&item_id=030149

If I boot up with GE=no it boots up just fine and gives me a full gamut of resolutions to work with, identifies as a 5000 series, I can play chess without issue, didn't test the DVD bit though. But when I enable graphics it passes the grey load screen and when it changes resolution it just goes black, so no signal anymore.

I've tried putting ATIinjector.kext in e/e and s/l/e with no luck. I've looked through all these different threads about the 5450 and cannot seem to figure it out. I don't get why when the graphics are disabled it works fine, yet when I enable them it doesn't work. Can anyone shed some light on why that would be?

• 1 month later...

Do you need the injector? Why don't you just boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes? What about the ROM? What version of Chameleon are you using?

EDIT: Nevermind about the injector, it just puts the device IDs into ATI5000Controllr and ATIRadeonX3000. But I'm still wondering about the ROM, doesn't Chameleon get it from the BIOS? As the video card BIOS is dumped into memory at boot?

Thanks!

-J

• 4 weeks later...

The trick (thanks to machinist) is to find the correct PCIRootUID value via

ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI" | grep "_UID"

which will output a # (known values betw. 0 and 4, but higher values might appear)

then enter that value into the org.chameleon plist as follows:

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>#</string>

also make sure you have the following entries in your plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>UrFrameBuffer</string>

UrFrameBuffer probably Eulemur?

remove *ANY* EFI strings from device properties (best delete kex/string)

save

delete *any* grfx enablers from E/E and S/L/E

delete extension (if present) AND (mandatory step here!) kernel caches, in Lion: /System/Library/Caches/Startup

make sure you have a current Chameleon bootloader installed (e.g. via Chameleon Wizard, or Chimera)

reboot

see if EVERYTHING works (res. changes/ QE-CI e.g. by launching Chess/ multi-monitors/ DVD Player)

sigh, here's the next problem w. my 5450: the monitor connected via HDMI does not wake up after sleep. The one on VGA does. That is only the case when the FB is set correctly by means of PCIRootUID/GE/ATIConfig. As soon as the 5450 defaults back to generic Radeon FB (either by deleting the PCIRootUID value or disabling GraphicsEnabler), the HDMI monitor wakes up from sleep, too ...

Ideas?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I have Lion 10.7.4 installed on a Hp Dm4 1095br with a ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5450 1gb .. but there's no way I can make the OSX load the ATI Kext files.

On a verbose book I can see that it recognizes the card just fine, but when the system is up I only have my Intel Hd Graphics GPU working.

I tried to disable the Hybrid video in mi BIOS but it's a locked function, even if I switch off the Hybrid, goes back on automatically.

I don't know what else I can do, I've search this forum like crazy and no solution so far. Hope you guys can help me.

Hey guys, I have Lion 10.7.4 installed on a Hp Dm4 1095br with a ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5450 1gb .. but there's no way I can make the OSX load the ATI Kext files.

On a verbose book I can see that it recognizes the card just fine, but when the system is up I only have my Intel Hd Graphics GPU working.

I tried to disable the Hybrid video in mi BIOS but it's a locked function, even if I switch off the Hybrid, goes back on automatically.

I don't know what else I can do, I've search this forum like crazy and no solution so far. Hope you guys can help me.

LOOK HERE!!!!http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=716

I've tried this and other many ways, but the problem is that my card it's no been recognized by the OSx. It recognize it on the boot, but when the system is loaded up, only the Intel HD graphics is active. I can disable the Intel HD on the BIOS, for what I've goggled there's no way of setting the Intel as discret.

With the intel I can do much, I cant even watch a video on youtube with this card. It sucks. I must install Windows 7, cause I work with photography and video and can't be without good VGA performance. A real shame because I loved Lion, this week as been so much fun playing with it.

A real shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a problem with a saphir HD5450 on 10.7.4.

Appears to work fine but when i launch Ableton Live it crashes.

The software ( ableton ) runs perfect with another graphic card, of course iv tried a reinstall...no luck...

Any idea what can cause the problem ?

I used ATI5000injector.kext, and i also tried to write device ID on ATI5000controler and ATI3000.kext.

Thx !

Bye.

• 3 weeks later...

With every motherboard this works? And the instalation will gonna be quiet and no problems? Somebody tried w/ p8h61 from asus? I'm buying the 5450 with this motherboard and i can change just the video card now. I need answers quickly. Sorry for my bad english... Portuguese is very different from english so.. its hard to lern it.