10.6.8 officially released

shenor

371 posts in this topic

LOL. I can see that this update wasn't as smooth as when 10.6.7 came out.. i'm going to wait a little bit more and ponder if I NEED to update my machine OR not. Anyone have any suggestions, my specs are on my signature.

Many users have updated without any issues at all, they just don't talk about it as much.

If you don't like to gamble, prepare and update like this:

Install a recent version of Chameleon (attached earlier in this thread)

Note that as of Chameleon 2.0 RC5 Trunk svn r1036 you must change all instances of "manufacter" to manufacturer in your /Extra/smbios.plist.

Update FakeSMC (attached earlier in this thread - as with Chameleon this might not be necessary but it can't hurt)

Check PCI0 device in your DSDT and verify that _UID is properly set, follow links posted earlier for more information.

If you're using patched Apple kernel extensions in System/Library/Extensions, back them up, the update will overwrite them.

If you're using AppleHDA (patched or not) back it up.

Back up AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily.kext to a flash drive

Make sure you have a bootable install DVD (distro will do fine) and that you know how to run Terminal and copy files from one volume to another (use cp -R to copy kernel extensions)

Make sure you know how to shut down your hack "blind" via keyboard shortcuts (or just press the reset button, at the risk of file corruption)

Use the 10.6.7 combo updater.

Boot with -v. If your Hack appears to hang on "PCI Configuration Begin" keep an eye on the hard drive LED to see if there's any activity. If there is then just wait for it to boot, it might work.

If there is no hard drive activity or if it finishes booting but you don't see your desktop, reboot/shut down, boot into your install DVD, run Terminal and copy AppleAPCIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from your flash drive to /System/Library/Extensions. Run Disk Utility from the DVD, fix permissions.

Reboot and try again, it should boot now.

@oSxFr33k:

Sorry mate, I didn't install lspci at all on my MacBook Pro. I want to install the latest 32/64-bit version and I don't think EVO's is the one. Tried to find it here on InsanelyMac but couldn't figure out from the threads... Any help?

@Gringo: Indeed, my MacBookPro3,1 has the GeForce 8600M GT installed. So it's not the Nvidia drivers; according to dmesg I also get here (like my mobo) "NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered".

I would like to remind all friends here that Thunderbold support was present in 10.6.7 in System Profiler; so unless Apple re-wrote the driver for Thunderbolt, I personally don't think it's related to the [PCI] thingie...

My desktop mobo (XPC) boots 10.6.8, it just doesn't verbose/spin-wheel. Speed towards the desktop is probably the same (same Intel SSD). That's all. When typing dmesg in Terminal, I eventually get all the verbose output I am used to, with 10.6.7 except some new/changed stuff...

I will wait until some gurus figure it out and won't tamper with it at all ;) As for my other Core i7 mobo, it will patiently stay at 10.6.7...

Goodnight to all.

I didn't install lspci at all on my MacBook Pro. I want to install the latest 32/64-bit version and I don't think EVO's is the one.

Use this: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/10/lspci-...r-1-0-released/

If you see unknown devices do update-pciids and run lspci-nn again.

I'm betting LSPCI will show the "64-bit device address ignored" message on your MacBook Pro as well.

First off, I have a backup of my previous installation just incase.

I am slightly confused on whether or not there is a way to pass the PCI Configuration message. I know on my Lion partition it passes that and boots fine, but like many others in this thread my hard drive LED will keep going on SL when booting into 10.6.8, but my screen stays showing "PCI Configuration" message. Would someone be so kind as to link me to the exact area on how I can fix this?

EDIT: I did the replacement of kexts that Gringo mentioned on the previous page. That seemed to work. However I don't have full resolution and the new drivers say they won't work with my system. Guess I should use the old drivers then, or the iMac 10.6.7 update drivers? I have a iMac11,1 in my smbiost

Yes, like I said earlier in this thread, the nvidia drivers in 10.6.8 don't work with the GTX 460. You must download and install the July 24 Quadro 4000 drivers from nvidia.

But you can't run the nvidia Quadro 4000 driver installer if your model identifier is not MacPro3,1 4,1 or 5,1.

This is clearly stated on the driver download page.

You can, however easily modify the installer so that it will run with your existing model identifier.

Download the driver.dmg, copy the installer.mpkg inside to your desktop, right click, show contents, find distribution.dist and open it with textedit.

Look for the model identifier requirement stuff in there and replace where appropriate with your iMac11,1 model identifier. It should be obvious where once you're looking at it.

Save distribution.dist and now you should be able to run the installer with no problems.

Happy trails Hans.

Has anyone ever told you you are a genius/life saver? Because I will have you know that you are. Thanks so much for the help, everything seems to be working fine, I know there is not full acceleration on the 460, as pointed out by netkas. Hopefully lion will fix this, the dev builds seem to be going that route, but nothing is certain.

• Like 1

@MacKonsti,

No thunderbolt in my system profiler for 10.6.7. It may be supported but its not in the profiler, only after 10.6.8 update it showed up!!

Maybe on Real Macs it shows up?

Try to rename or delete:/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle (recommend replace this file from 10.6.7 since I heard someone can't get network auto connected after deleting. But both of them work well)

Didn't fix it :D

I am getting some kind of chameleon error after the update.

says: ParseTagInteger decimal error 0x63 in buffer cnx

any help?

Just updating, figured it out had to replace:

VoodooTSCSync.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

thats it though, and new kernel works great.

success update combo 10.6.8 on my AMD Phenom 955 BE, don't forget backup your AppleACPIPlatfrom and IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.6.7....

screenshot20110625at856.png

care to share your mach_kernel or legacy_kernel via uploading it here for some AMD users?

thanks

@3.14r2 and others asking about the PCI messages.

My friend just did the combo update on his real mac and I had him boot into verbose and he has the same PCI messages we are seeing so its normal

Changing _ADR to _UID in the dsdt fixed the boot stopping from right after the PCI stuff.

This worked on my Dell XPS M1530 now to see if I need to do this for my Asus G51jx Laptop i7 quad first generation after I do the combo update first.

It boots fast and runs great thanks again!!

Fantastic! So this:

Device (PCI0)
	{
		Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
		Name (_ADR, Zero)
		Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

must be modified to this:

Device (PCI0)
	{
		Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
		Name (_UID, Zero)
		Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

Is that the only location where this modification is necessary?

Also, would you care to share the latest 10.6.8 IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext as I foolishly neglected to back them up when I rolled them back. ;)

Thanks!

care to share your mach_kernel or legacy_kernel via uploading it here for some AMD users?

thanks

i still use legacy_kernel 10.7.0, coz AMD doesn't support vanilla kernel..update combo 10.6.8 doesn't change my kernel to 10.8.0. but so far so good for me.

Hi Folk,

I have updated over Software update on one clone drive of my system and noticed the same networking problem like others with Broadcom Chipset. I have just followed the instructions

from Gringo V.´s Post #96:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1703018

changed SMBoardproduct to mach my model identifier and installed latest Chameleon 2.0 RC5 attached there. As usual, Audio needs to be rolled back too.

Here you can get more info about System identifier & SMBoardID:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=238737

Cheers

any advice for sound on ALC888? [using EP43-DS3L].

Any kexts that work?

many thanks

I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Just check the ALCXXX kext and the Rollback kext.

Audio - The update will replace your AppleHDA.kext.

If you use ALC8xxHDA for audio, you will have to reinstall AppleHDA Rollback using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. If you're using VoodooHDA, you will not need to make any modifications.

There may be other ways, but that is the way I used. Make sure to check the system utility check box in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or it won't work. Permissions and such need to be repaired.

Use this: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/10/lspci-...r-1-0-released/

If you see unknown devices do update-pciids and run lspci-nn again.

I'm betting LSPCI will show the "64-bit device address ignored" message on your MacBook Pro as well.

I installed the linked version of lspci. Please remember that my MacBook Pro is end 2007 model, and doesnot load SL in 64-bit mode (tried to force-boot) while Lion booted in 64-bit (have Core2Duo CPU). Therefore, I run the system in 32-bit. Here's my lspci output, after rebooting and updating IDs:

macbookpro:~ Konsti$ lspci -nn
pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a00] (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port [8086:2a01] (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:2834] (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 [8086:2835] (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 [8086:283a] (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:284b] (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:283f] (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 [8086:2843] (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 [8086:2847] (rev 03)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 [8086:2849] (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:2830] (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:2831] (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:2832] (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 [8086:2836] (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller [8086:2815] (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller [8086:2850] (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2829] (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:283e] (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600M GT] [10de:0407] (rev a1)
0b:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0024] (rev 01)
0c:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller [11ab:436a] (rev 13)
0d:03.0 Unassigned class [ffff]: Illegal Vendor ID Unknown device [ffff:ffff] (rev ff)

Don't know what this "illegal vendor ID device" is, however...

As for ALC888 in 10.6.8 (on my MacPro3,1 mobo) I got round by doing 3 steps:

1. Bin-patch the executable of AppleHDA/MacOS to replace 885 with 888;

2. Make sure I have the correct Device (HDEF) injection in my DSDT;

3. Add layout888.xml and replace Platforms.xml files in /AppleHDA/Contents/Resources.

Audio came back upon reboot. More info here.

Finally, I swear I saw Thunderbolt reference in System Profiler 10.6.7... Don't forget the new MacBooks have Thunderbolt since March-April. Perhaps on my other mobo, set as iMac11,1 or my original MacBook Pro? Anyway, doesn't matter, really...

If you want to keep using your old fixes you need to replace AppleHDA with the one from 10.6.7 as well.

Otherwise you will have to start over and patch your audio in the same way that it's done for Lion - AppleHDA was updated with 10.6.8 and it works like the one in Lion now.

If you're using VoodooHDA you might need to delete AppleHDA. Sometimes AppleHDA loads even if it does not work with your audio device and this can cause a conflict with VoodooHDA.

Hi Gringo how are you?

in order now I am working with VodooAudio, I have used the DisablerAppleHda.Kext

@MacKonsti,

Thanks for taking the time to do that, and as Gringo Vermelho suspected you have the same message 64 bit device address ignored as we have seen.

@Gringo Vermelho,

I setup my Asus G51jx i7 Quad first generation and have exactly the same situation as yours, in verbose mode it stops at the PCI Configuration begin and no messages follow it, then after a few seconds it boots into the desktop.

I am trying to figure out why the messages stop?

I updated my laptop to 10.6.8 and also installed Lion to an usb HDD. In both cases, no spinning wheel and it gets stuck at [ PCI configuration begin ] line. However, it still goes on booting and so far works without any problem.

Don't know what this "illegal vendor ID device" is, however...

AFAIK, the way for the system to check if a bus has device connected to it is - it checks VendorID register and if it returns ONEs (FFFF in hex) then there is no device connected because FFFF is illegal/reserved ID and there is no device in the world that has it.