• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts

waiting for 10.6.8 SleepEnabler.kext

Instead of waiting, go read post #8 in this thread.

Effendi

Effendi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Works flawless apart from a broken AppleHDA which I replace right now with the 10.6.7 patched one.

siwa

siwa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
success update combo 10.6.8 on my AMD Phenom 955 BE, don't forget backup your AppleACPIPlatfrom and IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.6.7....

Posted Image

Attached Files

ApexDE

ApexDE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I updated my System without any issues. BUT I don't use and never used AppleHDA. I have it disabled in the BIOS and use USB Audio. Maybe that's why i don't have issues with this update.

Sleep/Wake works, UUID is set as always (Mac Appstore works), Graphics work normally, CPU Cores are working normal, native PowerManagement works (speedstepping)

me@home

me@home

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
All OK, just as mentioned before using AppleHDA from 10.6.7 to get dig. output again.

I wonder if there will be an 10.6.9 because at Leopard we're still at 10.5.8 - have just used software update and there was a new Security Update but still 10.5.8.

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

I wonder if there will be an 10.6.9...

I guess no. As Leopard had (and still is) X.5.8 as the last version before SL, probably SL X.6.8 be the last update before Lion. Also this sentence

Enhance the Mac App Store to get your Mac ready to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion

from Apple's description might indicate that there will be no X.6.9. But you can never know... :)

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
Okay, I got 10.6.8 working with IOPCIFamily and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.6.8. :D

kernel.log:
Jun 25 15:04:13 localhost kernel[0]: PFM64 0xf10000000, 0xf0000000
Jun 25 15:04:13 localhost kernel[0]: [ PCI configuration begin ]
Jun 25 15:04:13 localhost kernel[0]: console relocated to 0xf11000000
Jun 25 15:04:13 localhost kernel[0]: PCI configuration changed (bridge=2 device=1 cardbus=0)
Jun 25 15:04:13 localhost kernel[0]: [ PCI configuration end, bridges 6 devices 18 ]
This is what I did - I'm not sure the DSDT/PCI Root part is strictly necessary though.

I installed the new June 24 Quadro 4000 drivers from Nvidia
http://www.nvidia.co...f01-driver.html
I have a GTX 460, working with GraphicsEnabler=y. Before anybody asks, no, the freezing issue is not fixed.

I installed the latest SVN Trunk version of Chameleon 2.0 RC5
Make sure to edit your /Extra/smbios.plist and change all instances of "manufacter" to "manufacturer".
Attached File  Chameleon_2.0_RC5_SVN_Trunk_r1061.zip   888.26KB   347 downloads
I made sure my DSDT PCI0 device had the PCI Root UID declared the way it's described in this thread (see posts by Beerkex'd):
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=207635

I extracted AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from the 10.6.8 combo update using Pacifist and installed them.
http://www.charlessoft.com/ <- Pacifist
(You might be tempted to just run the combo updater again - don't - this will overwrite the June 24 Nvidia drivers that you have just installed)

Finally, I used Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner to delete all the caches (last tab on the main window)
http://www.northerns...checleaner.html

Now, if I boot with -v it will still stop verbose output on "PCI Configuration Begin", but it continues to boot. If I boot normally I see the Apple boot logo, but no boot spinner. I found that I'm not the only one, someone else has already reported this elsewhere. Either way I can boot now and all that remains for me is to get the new Lion-like AppleHDA.kext to work.

/EDIT

PCI Configuration Begin display freeze / no boot-spinner issue fixed - patched 10.6.8 IOPCIFamily available, see this post:
http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1706087

Krallure

Krallure

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
rollback IOPCIfamily and AppleACPIPlatform.kext but WiFi not working just in safe boot. WiFi reinstall make no changes. :D

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
The WiFi issue is not related to those kexts.
Please read the thread, a fix for the WiFi issue has already been discussed here.
See the end of this post:
http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1703018

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

If it's GPU related you should be able to ssh into the machine from another on your network - or at least see the machine registered to the network.

I just replaced all the ATI kexts - Probably overkill but I couldn't be bothered messing around!

Just my luck. The last few times I plugged the drive in (into another computer), it gives me an error with the partition and mounts it as read-only. I can't revert to the 10.6.7 ATI kexts =/

makosx

makosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Everything works fine after update from SU, but I must use pmVersion 23 and restore AppleHDA from 10.6.7 for sound. No new issue with the graphic card that keep with abnormal turn on and of.

ASUS P6T WS
Intel Core i7 920
SoundMax 2000b
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Just my luck. The last few times I plugged the drive in (into another computer), it gives me an error with the partition and mounts it as read-only. I can't revert to the 10.6.7 ATI kexts =/

You wont have correct user permissions on another machine, I wouldn't think!

Your best bet as I said, is to boot into a retail install disk and use terminal.
Copy the ATI kexts to a USB and boot to install disk.

to remove the kexts: rm -Rf /Volumes/YourHackHDD/System/Library/Extensions/ATI*
to copy kext from USB: cd /Volumes/YourUSB/FolderContainingATIKextz
cp -R ATI* /Volumes/YourHackHDD/System/Library/Extensions

Dont forget to clear caches (you can google for that.) using rm -RF /Volumes/YourHackHDD ........
And repair permissions using Disk Utility before you reboot.

D

Krallure

Krallure

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The WiFi issue is not related to those kexts.
Please read the thread, a fix for the WiFi issue has already been discussed here.
See the end of this post:
http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1703018

thank you!! :help:

kerr

kerr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
no issue here. everything works fine. just one question: What is this "PCI configuration begin" anyway ? Didn't have it before 10.6.8. Obviously OS X doesn't like something about PCI bus or a device on it and reconfigures it, but what and why ?

The Finale of Seem

The Finale of Seem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Just upgraded on my DX58SO, no problems here. I'm using a full DSDT with sleep support, so the only necessary kext I have is FakeSMC along with a few other non-essentials such as VoodooHDA, Realtek driver, and the temp sensor kext. Video is fine on my GTX 285, audio output via my Griffin Firewave is working, as is input from the onboard audio.

tjenvy

tjenvy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well thought everything went well, and then I logged in. Seems all my partitions on my 3 drives wont mount with the exception of my main system drive. UGH... And to top that off my user folders are on one of those drives!! Never had anything in fstab or the like. Everything always mounted on its own with no worries. I can go into Disk Utility and mount them no problems. And talk about slow as @#$%! I click something... wait.. wait... wait... then it comes up. and I am running my main system partition on an SSD! My 10.6.7 install boots in about 5 seconds this takes forever. I have already replaced the two kexts just to try it out, and nothing. Still wont mount those drives and partitions. I ALREADY KNOW I can put an entry in fstab, but why should I have to? Every upgrade works every time... This time? UGH

Ga-EP45-DS3l, 1 ssd (chameleon and system), 750gb, user files, 1Tb 4 partitions for all the drives (ccc tool backups)

If anyone has a good idea I am welcome to it, I have picked my brain clean by this point. I try something, copy back over from ccc tool and try again... Thank goodness for backups! ;)

MacKonsti

MacKonsti

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Hello Gringo, guys, just to inform you that I updated my Shuttle XPC barebone (Core2Quad/Q9550/4GB/ICH7/MacPro3,1) with the combo update. Upon reboot, it seems it got past the [PCI Configuration begins] and lost ALC888 audio, as expected.

1. I also don't get the spin on the logo boot screen;
2. My VGA is a simple NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS and it's using the generic drivers, via DSDT injection ONLY (no GraphicsEnabler as older Chameleon versions never detected mine).
3. My PciRoot=1 and via DSDT also, Chameleon always detected it properly, since Leopard days...
4. Using latest chameleon binary via Chameleon Wizard (in this forum) and proper smbios.plist for MacPro3,1.
5. Audio ALC888 was fixed by (1) copying layout888.xml and new Platforms.xml files in AppleHDA's Resources folder, then (2) checking that the DSDT's Device (HDEF) is properly configured per other posts, and (3) bin-patching the AppleHDA binary (in MacOS) to replace 885 >> 888; although the latter don't know why it's suggested...

The lack of spinning wheel upon boot, related directly to the verbose (-v) output of [PCI Configuration begins] makes me think that it may not be related to the failing display driver; my card is pretty much generic...

EDIT: I get the same result in [PCI Configuration begin] every time... what is this thing checking?!?

[ PCI configuration begin ]
PCI configuration changed (bridge=7 device=1 cardbus=0)
[ PCI configuration end, bridges 7 devices 13 ]

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Updated successfully, but networking is broken. Both WiFi and LAN doesn't work, also hangs for a while before login (although both devices are working perfectly on hardware level). Obviously a software bug. Seems like Apple has done some "improvements"

Other things seem to work properly. Well, sort of... System is slow sometimes

EDIT:
Networking issue is the same as with Lion. Namely Apple80211Monitor.bundle. Fix is also the same as for Lion.
EDIT2:
The real fix is to use

<key>SMboardproduct</key>
	<string>Mac-F4208CC8</string>
in SMBIOS.plist plus newer Chameleon version that is able to load SMboardproduct key correctly. For me it was latest Chameleon trunk (1052). Thous Apple80211Monitor.bundle could be left alone.

Thank you very much for sharing that. Works perfectly for my wireless+sluggishness issue I had as well.

Noam AA

Noam AA

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
So in my case, i had couple of really strange things going, but nothing too big...
when first updated everything worked except my USB (my bluetooth recognized, but usb wireless cause some hanging in the usb, making me restart to get functioning usb again, but still partial)
after installing the iousbfamily from 6.7 everything back to work again.

but the strangest things that happened is,
in the past week i've played with my dsdt a little, and i also added my gfx (220GT)
when updated, i once loaded by mistake a dsdt without gfx injection (and in this case without ANY injection)
then i had some troubles booting and getting the PCI configuration begin, and didn't knew i disabled the injection (again was by mistake), so i loaded up my other help partition of osx (working 10.6.7) with graphic enable=yes, but it bricked graphic acceleration, i had to replace cards to get injection working again.

i tried once again to load without injection and again it made the same troubles.
something is bricking when the injection isn't right.

strange thing is, when the pci configuration is stuck, i can hear my audio interface get loaded (i get tiny 'click' sound from my monitors, whenever the device boot, but it only happening when the os already up, and in the desktop)

everything is cook here except iousbfamily. other then that verbose doe's not show anything, though on kernel.log i can see al the boot log

Titus_Andronicus

Titus_Andronicus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I experienced WiFi problems when I updated to 10.6.8. I had to pull out my WiFi card, which, oddly enough, was genuine Apple hardware (Airport mini-PCI-E) connected via a PCI-E adapter. See my sig for the specific Apple/Broadcom wifi model.

After I pull the Wifi card out, I have had no problems whatsoever. Btw, deleting the Airport card from the Network interfaces wasn't enough to fix the lag. I had to physically remove the card.

I haven't tested the sound yet.

Edit: No problems with sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy