10.6.8 officially released

shenor

371 posts in this topic

I just upgrade mine from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8. Now this is weird because all is well and most of the icons do appear in my screen except the Folder icon. I believe I'm still using the lates NVenabler.kext. I'm using 9500GT btw. I tried to download the other kexts from kexts.com but I cannot register since I do not see the Image Verification. Can somebody shed a light for me please? Thank you!

DSDT Editor fails to open this file. Is this the actual DSDT.aml from the root of your OS X partition?

Ok I have sent my original unmodified dsdt.aml to MaLd0n in this forum..he then patched it and send it to me

See the post below..

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1717318

The dsdt.aml that I sent to you is this one..which currently sits in my root of OS X partition..

I hope this explains your query.

Many thanks

Ok still the same problem.. this is what I have done:

Downloaded and then unzipped in Win7

There were 1 file and 1 folder

File name: DSDT.aml

Folder Name: __MACOSX

I have copied this DSDT.aml in the root of my Snow Leopard drive which replaced the existing DSDT.aml

Then I started my laptop with the following boot flags:

-v -f

-v -f -x

-v -f -s

in all cases it stops at PCI Configuration Begins

Appreciate the help at lot...

What's next please..

1. Revert to the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from the OS X 10.6.7

2. Add a kernel boot argument npci=0×2000

I do not have those kexts to share. However, they are readily available on this very thread among many others.

You should be able to simply substitute your existing OS X 10.6.8 kexts from the Windows via the MacDrive. Do not forget to force the system to rebuild caches by deleting the caches folders or booting with the -f flag. If you have to repair permissions, use the single user mode (-s) to do so manually or boot up your installation partition or USB drive and simply use the Disk Utility app.

THANKS A lot DarwinX.. Really appreciate your help. AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext these kexts were already replaced.

And started with boot argument npci=0×2000 but still stuck at [PCI Configuration Begins]

It's so unfortunate..

thanks again for your kind help

thanks again for your kind help

No problem. I am sorry that none of my suggestions had helped you and I hope that you are able to eventually resolve this issue. :) Perhaps it is time to install the OS X Lion then simply migrate your existing Snow Leopard settings and files to it manually or via the Migration Assistant.app.

It is possible that your booting problem is complicated by an outdated version of the Chameleon. You could try a Windows based Chameleon installer or a manual installation via the single user mode. Here is the latest Chameleon 2 RC5 v1377 boot file which you can simply drag and drop from Windows into the root of your Snow Leopard partition. It is a shot in the dark, but it can't hurt and might actually allow your system to boot.

boot.zip

To avoid [PCI Configuration Begin] use this kexts from 10.6.7:

http://www.mediafire.com/?u6sietuh5b0rh6t

hey thanks.. downloaded these kexts and replaced in S/L/E and then used the following bootflag:

-v -f -npci=0x2000 ...however stuck at [PCI Configuration Begins]

It is possible that your booting problem is complicated by an outdated version of the Chameleon. You could try a Windows based Chameleon installer or a manual installation via the single user mode. Here is the latest Chameleon 2 RC5 v1377 boot file which you can simply drag and drop from Windows into the root of your Snow Leopard partition. It is a shot in the dark, but it can't hurt and might actually allow your system to boot.

I have downloaded this bootfile and simply unzipped and moved to the root of the SL partition. This makes my laptop inoperable and it keeps restarting. Hence I started the laptop with Nawcom Boot CD and reinstated the old boot file.

I yet to do Windows based Chameleon installer. Cannot install in single user mode as cannot get past [PCI Configuration Begins] even in this mode.

Thanks to all again really..

As DarwinX mentioned, I would try another bootloader version.

Here is what I did:

Using Digital Dreamer's installer found here I installed Chimera as my bootloader. Have you tried the ADR/UID fix in Device PCI0? I'm no expert on bootloaders but I think Chimera auto injects this fix at boot time - other versions of Chameleon may do the same.

I had the PC config error with an earlier version of Chameleon.

So I tried Chimera along with FakeSMC in S/L/E and then it was fine. So it was either of those two that did the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have now played around with Digital Dreamer's installer as mentioned above but how does this work in Win7.. or Does it work in Win7 at all..

Point is my Snow Leopard installation does not work and only Win7 and Ubuntu is working at the moment.. So if I like to use Chimera as my bootloader how do I do it through Win7 please?

Without a working OSX install I'm afraid I can't help.

If you had access to one you could create an install USB stick, install Chimera to it along with the extra folder, smbios and .com.apple.plist. Select the USB stick using F12 key on boot, select the USB drive and see if that'll resurrect your install.

You may be able to install Chimera from Win 7 but it is a method I'm not familiar with.

Re the USB ports not working, did you generate your own DSDT?

Most guys and gals with some sort of experience in this ...err...hobby :P would have some sort of recovery strategy if anything goes wrong - mine is a bootable USB stick. Non working USB ports would be the first thing I would address once OSX is running.

I foolishly and blindly updated to 10.6.8 (Had gotten complacent with smooth upgrades). Everything worked except my network is dead (on board gig ethernet controllers. Going into the network interface settings is very slow as well. This isnt wireless so the solutions I have seen here do not seem appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...
Kext removed from /S/L/E:

- AppleTyMCEDriver.kext (ECC Parity Check / You don't have it thus you don't need it)

Evoke:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext; done

to prevent it from load while updating to 10.6.8

Cheers

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade from 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 and I'm getting a crash on the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext install.

How do you run the above script whilst installing the Combo Update?

I'm installing in a terminal now as I didn't get to the end of the install.

ANY help would be appreciated.

I just upgraded from 10.6.2 to 10.6.8 on a M2N68-LA motherboard w/ an Athlon64 x2 5200+ CPU using AnV's 10.6.8 kernel.

Single user mode will work, but the computer stays continually in loading mode and will never get to the GUI. When comparing the kernel log for the old successful boots and the boot now, I noticed it doesn't appear the graphics driver is loading. Toward the end of the log it used to read "NVDANV50Hal loaded and registered" but that line no longer appears.

I'm using Chameleon 2.0 with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I have also tried copying over my old NVDANV50Hal kext and an EFI string with no luck.

(As a side note: it doesn't appear LAN or sound are working either, but I figured that would be a problem to solve after I'm up in a GUI. I'm also using the 10.6.7 AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext and have tried many of the boot loader options suggested here including npci=0x2000 & std_dyld=Yes).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm running out of ideas myself.

npci=0x2000 is to help with the "PCI configuration begin" issue. If you see this during boot and it continues booting normally then you do not need this flag.

NVDANV50Hal.kext is the driver for NV50 family nvidia cards.

What video card do you have? Try booting with GraphicsEnabler=n -x and no EFI string.