Fermi 5XX works with Lion DP4/GM!

T.B.B.

314 posts in this topic

i had tried "npci=0x2000" a few times, but it never did anything for me. i got to thinking that it only helped with the 560Ti cards (i only saw it mentioned by people with those), but i guess not!

i'm sure you've double and triple checked this, but you added this line in NVDAGF100Hal.kext's info.plist:

0x108110de&0xffe0ffff

instead of just "1081" or something, right?

yeah i also tried 1086 in there too just in case after seeing it on system info. So far so good as long as npci=0x2000 is flagged. I guess ill just add it to my com.apple.boot.plist.

I think ill just work on a custom EFI string so it looks good in the info. if only i knew how to determine a NVCAP data string for my HDMI output :-/

one thing at a time i guess.

I have no idea how to make a EFI string.. I always used EFI studio before. I have SLI nothing is working for me...

Im getting registered and loaded message on both cards which. But when I install ATY_int.kext I won't boot. I think I need a efi string. I have two GTX 570's.

Please help me make one.

So I am not sure how right I am, but apparently lion does not work fully with non-reference models of gtx 570 using this method(or EFI String), because I have ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II and it's Device ID is 1086 too, and it's not recognized using any method and is shown as "Unknown 1280 Mb". I was playing around with it for few days and found out that everything but OpenGL is working(I did the "Graphics Mode" thing) and device is working pretty much the same with EFI Strings, ATY_Init(which recognizes the device as "Nvidia Graphics Adapter 1280 Mb" , but yet does not make OpenGL work) or by method described in this topic.

Some observations:

Dashboard: Ripple Effect is working

Cinebench: OpenGL test freezes the machine

Starcraft 2: Gives an error, doesn't start at all

Chess: Black screen

Screen Saves: Work normally, except word of the day.

HERE'S MY REPORT:

GTX 560 Ti 1GB

Running Chimera 1.4.1 with GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Added Device ID to NVDAGF100Hal.kext

Installed CUDA Drivers 4.0.21

Enabled OpenCL with netkas' hexedit to GeForceGLDriver.bundle

Added modified info.plist to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

During boot up in verbose mode I would always see that Chimera was correctly identifying my card and loading NVDAGF100Hal.kext

Problem 1: Kept getting stuck at [PCI Configuration begin]

This was strange because it didn't happen with my old GTX 260 using the same com.apple.Boot.plist minus the EFI string for it.

PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1 didn't work.

Problem 1 Solution: I used npci=0x2000 to get passed it.

Problem 2: Lion was now booting up in 1024x768 resolution with 3 MB video memory. :)

I guess I had a malformed character in my com.apple.Boot.plist like zurie said??? :)

Problem 2 Solution: I deleted my Extra folder and reran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (3.8.0 ) to create a new com.apple.Boot.plist and everything else. Yes I know I could have just deleted my com.apple.Boot.plist but I was desperate at this point.

Now I was able to boot into Lion without npci=0x2000 :D

Problem 3: Lion still booted up in 1024x768 resolution with 3 MB video memory. :)

Problem 3 Solution: Created a custom GFX string using OSx86 Tools and added it to the device-properties key in my com.apple.Boot.plist.

Lion now booted up in full 1920x1200 resolution with 1024 VRAM!!! YAY :)

I used the following applications to perform OpenGL benchmarks and it seems like my results are slighty low and/or erratic.

CINEBENCH 11.5

Xbench 1.3

OpenGL Extensions Viewer 4.0

smallOpenGL FPS Bench V1.3.1

Tried deleting AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext with no effect to my bench results.

P.S. Keep in mind that I would always rebuild cache and kexts after installing/modifying/deleting any kexts.

P.S.S. ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL KEXTS AND MODIFIED KEXTS!

I keep a Kext BU (Modified) and Kext BU (Original) folder for this purpose.

EDIT:

QUESTION: Is 30 fps in CINEBENCH 11.5 normal for a GTX 560 Ti 1GB?

Hi can you tell me what is VRAM string for 1536mb. I'm facing the exact same problem as you did. And i also need to create a custom string for connector. I have HDMI(monitor)-DVI(gtx480) connection and i need know what is the string for HDMI-DVI.

I have no idea how to make a EFI string.. I always used EFI studio before. I have SLI nothing is working for me...

Im getting registered and loaded message on both cards which. But when I install ATY_int.kext I won't boot. I think I need a efi string. I have two GTX 570's.

Please help me make one.

try this if you haven't already:

I GOT IT! full 1080p resolution! adding the EFI string seems to have done the trick! however, System Profiler says my card's vram is 0MB?

AnyColourYouLike, here's what i did:

-download OSx86Tools

-once open, click on "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag"

-click the "GFX Strings" tab on the top left

-choose "Custom Card" (or "Custom GeForce", i can't remember exactly) at the bottom of the "Graphics Card" drop down

-name your card (i think this is only for display sake, but i'm quite the noob, so i very well could be wrong). i named mine "nVidia GeForce GTX 570"

-enter the amount of vram the card has in hex (choose "Custom" at the bottom of the list). mine's got 1280MB (as i believe yours does too), so i entered "0x00000500"

-choose your display output config (wasn't too sure about this one. i connect with dual DVI, so i assumed DVI-I/DVI-I was what i wanted :P)

-click "Import String to Boot Editor" up at the top of the window

here's where things got a little weird for me. watching EFI GFX strings videos, they had you click "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist", but when i did that, it gave me an error saying something like "Cannot find item 'Kernel' in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration." (it was either kernel or kernel flag) so i opened said file in TextEdit, added:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string></string>

just to make it happy (cuz now it couldn't say it wasn't in the file :P). but then when i went to apply, it gave me another error "Can't make '0' into type boolean. (-1700)" so i just went ahead and copied the hex from the bottom of the window and pasted it into the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra under everything else that was already in there.

i don't know whether editing the EFI string is supposed to be in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration or the one in /Extra, so i copied the one i had just saved in /Extra and pasted it over the one in L/P/SC (so they're both the same now).

-rebuilt/repaired kexts with "System Utilities" from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

-restarted

-profit!

i'm about to install the CUDA driver, so hopefully that won't break anything *crosses fingers*. in the mean time, if anyone can clarify/fill in the blanks for the method i just described (what with me being a noob and such :P), that would be great!

also, some questions:

-every time i click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag" in OSx86Tools now, i get the "Can't make '0' into type boolean. (-1700)". did i do something wrong? can i fix that?

-my System Information says my card has 0MB vram. is that hurting anything? can i fix it?

-i have two 570s installed. right now, it sees both (i think), but it's not listing any info for the second card. is there a reason for that? is SLI not supported yet?

again, noob here, so any kind of answers would be much appreciated!

i've attached my com.apple.Boot.plist as a .txt (wouldn't let me upload a .plist).

if you need to see the attachments, that post is on page 6.

Hi can you tell me what is VRAM string for 1536mb. I'm facing the exact same problem as you did. And i also need to create a custom string for connector. I have HDMI(monitor)-DVI(gtx480) connection and i need know what is the string for HDMI-DVI.

dunno about the hdmi-dvi, but for the vram, you need to enter the hexadecimal equivalent of 1536 which is 0x00000600 (http://www.statman.info/conversions/hexadecimal.html). :)

So I am not sure how right I am, but apparently lion does not work fully with non-reference models of gtx 570 using this method(or EFI String), because I have ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II and it's Device ID is 1086 too, and it's not recognized using any method and is shown as "Unknown 1280 Mb". I was playing around with it for few days and found out that everything but OpenGL is working(I did the "Graphics Mode" thing) and device is working pretty much the same with EFI Strings, ATY_Init(which recognizes the device as "Nvidia Graphics Adapter 1280 Mb" , but yet does not make OpenGL work) or by method described in this topic.

Some observations:

Dashboard: Ripple Effect is working

Cinebench: OpenGL test freezes the machine

Starcraft 2: Gives an error, doesn't start at all

Chess: Black screen

Screen Saves: Work normally, except word of the day.

Yes exactly! i also have a Asus GTX 570 DCII device id 1086.

We need full support too :(

i wanna play chess! lol /s

but seriously mine locks up if i use a visualizer in iTunes too.

Shiit just noticed cover flow doesn't even work :unsure:

I have a EVGA GTX 570 HD SC with device_id 1086 (has DisplayPort, not working). That id has to be added to nvidia.c in Chameleon/Chimera for the name to appear in System Profiler. In the meantime, dsdt injection with "device-name" can do the same thing. Regarding OpenGL freezes, boot Lion in verbose mode.

I installed Lion on my comp with a GTX 580 SC and it runs GREAT!

However... The Launchpad animations are laggy. But if I connect a second display, the animations are magically seamless. Strangest thing ever.

Does anyone know why Launchpad animations work better with two displays (one HDMI, one DVI)?

hi thanks for info

I have intel hd graphics 0046 I try to boot with lion 10.7.2 still white screen not load any idia

try this if you haven't already:

Thanks I got it working I used this string for my GTX 570 vram - 0x50000000

Its not the same as the one posted above not sure what the difference is but I go mine working with everything. I did a Cinebench and got 43fps. I'm a happy camper. I have two 570's in SLI so just for anyone else reading this post it is possible to get it working with SLI. I used the hexedit, deviceID edit, EFI string, and installed Cuda Drivers. I also half to boot with PciRoot=0.

Don't get this confused with PciRootUID=1 this is different.... those of you with SLI that can't boot try PciRoot=0 or 1 its not the same as PciRootUID.

- First solution:

Modify your AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext.

560Ti Users: Download the info.plist attached.

580 Users: Download the AGPM580 file attached.

- Second solution:

Remove applegraphicspowermanagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

Don't forget to rebuild cache and kexts.

Also make a backup of it, in case you will get a kernel panic.

video of running GTX580: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKtCTp3JbQ (thx to hannibal1969)

@T.B.B.

Hey, all of these fixes (except for the blank entry in the boot.plist for Graphics Mode) have helped performance greatly! All I want to know is that unfortunately I had tried replacing the Info.plist inside of the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext file and had to redo my system after a bad kernel panic. I think the reason this happened was because I tried to change the configuration so that it would be identified as a "MacPro 4,1" instead of a "MacPro3,1". I couldn't find any entries for that "MacPro3,1" system type in the Info.plist file you attached to this post. Do I need to further edit this so that my system will recognize it and use it properly?

@T.B.B.

Hey, all of these fixes (except for the blank entry in the boot.plist for Graphics Mode) have helped performance greatly! All I want to know is that unfortunately I had tried replacing the Info.plist inside of the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext file and had to redo my system after a bad kernel panic. I think the reason this happened was because I tried to change the configuration so that it would be identified as a "MacPro 4,1" instead of a "MacPro3,1". I couldn't find any entries for that "MacPro3,1" system type in the Info.plist file you attached to this post. Do I need to further edit this so that my system will recognize it and use it properly?

You can use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to change your system definition. Also, it might be better to edit, rather than replace the plist - simply find an entry with the right temperature range and change "Vendor****Device****" to the right one for your card.

The blank Graphics Mode doesn't affect performance, this is only necessary to enable OpenGL.

fantastic tutorial! I have never built a hackintosh before, but I had planned to build one with a gtx560ti so this has inspired confidence. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post, but is there some sort of guide going from clean lion install to getting the gtx560ti working? I haven't bought my PC parts yet, but would a z68 motherboard work with this (specifically the ASRock Z68 Pro-M)?

You can use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to change your system definition. Also, it might be better to edit, rather than replace the plist - simply find an entry with the right temperature range and change "Vendor****Device****" to the right one for your card.

The blank Graphics Mode doesn't affect performance, this is only necessary to enable OpenGL.

Thanks for the info but I do have a few other questions...

After using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to change my system type I had to reinstall both my operating systems because of a bad kernel panic. If I am trying to avoid this I definitely will edit my own Info.plist file in the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, but in Lion I have to overwrite the original because the original is "locked".

One other thing, if I edit the attached .plist file (original copy from my system), do I need to add the vendor and device ids as well as make a section with "MacPro3,1" strings at the top so that my system will properly recognize the proper entry in this file (only sections with MacPro4,1 and MacPro5,1 right now)?

Thanks.

Info.plist.zip

After using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to change my system type I had to reinstall both my operating systems because of a bad kernel panic.

I have the same problem, anyone know why just changing the system profile might cause a KP?

My graphic card: Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB

Hi

I have followed the guide step by step and im getting 1920x1080 but it feels laggy, and sometimes im experiencing a lag now and then.

1. Edited 0x108110de&0xffe0ffff to 0x120010de&0xffe0ffff

2. Used ATY_Init to get my card recognized.

3. Rebuild cache and kexts.

4. Installed CUDA

5. Enabled Open CL as told on post 1. ( I dont really know how to check if its enabled or not but i did as told)

6. Modify your AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext with the info.plist (no results) so i did solution 2

7. Remove applegraphicspowermanagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

8. Rebuild cache and kexts. (no results)

It seems that i dont get full power from my graphic card. I did a test with NovaBench but i dont get any good results there either.

What am i doing wrong?

I appreciate all your help.

post-840931-1311845814_thumb.jpg

post-840931-1311846118_thumb.png

My graphic card: Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB

Hi

I have followed the guide step by step and im getting 1920x1080 but it feels laggy, and sometimes im experiencing a lag now and then.

1. Edited 0x108110de&0xffe0ffff to 0x120010de&0xffe0ffff

2. Used ATY_Init to get my card recognized.

3. Rebuild cache and kexts.

4. Installed CUDA

5. Enabled Open CL as told on post 1. ( I dont really know how to check if its enabled or not but i did as told)

6. Modify your AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext with the info.plist (no results) so i did solution 2

7. Remove applegraphicspowermanagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

8. Rebuild cache and kexts. (no results)

It seems that i dont get full power from my graphic card. I did a test with NovaBench but i dont get any good results there either.

What am i doing wrong?

I appreciate all your help.

I have the same card and I feel that it is laggy too. Does yours seem to work a lot smoother after it has been on for a while? Sometimes mine will run perfectly and other times I try to open a fullscreen app or even the time machine window and I hear the fan on the card ramp up and the transition lags (almost like its trying to catch up). I was wondering whether there is anything else that can be done with the power management kext because it seems like that might be the problem.

Also, can your hackintosh sleep? Mine will lock after I leave it for a while (I think it is just shutting off the display or something) but if I try to make it sleep on demand it will look like it is working and then it tries to boot back up again...weird.

Does yours seem to work a lot smoother after it has been on for a while? Sometimes mine will run perfectly and other times I try to open a fullscreen app or even the time machine window and I hear the fan on the card ramp up and the transition lags (almost like its trying to catch up). I was wondering whether there is anything else that can be done with the power management kext because it seems like that might be the problem.

My GT 435m has the same problem as yours in Lion.

When dragging a window it will move with little lag just like the video card doesn't work when idle. But after dragging the window here and there quickly everything goes so smoothly.

BUT when I use the displayport to connect a VGA everything goes smoothly with no lag. So confused...

I have the same card and I feel that it is laggy too. Does yours seem to work a lot smoother after it has been on for a while? Sometimes mine will run perfectly and other times I try to open a fullscreen app or even the time machine window and I hear the fan on the card ramp up and the transition lags (almost like its trying to catch up). I was wondering whether there is anything else that can be done with the power management kext because it seems like that might be the problem.

Also, can your hackintosh sleep? Mine will lock after I leave it for a while (I think it is just shutting off the display or something) but if I try to make it sleep on demand it will look like it is working and then it tries to boot back up again...weird.

Mine works fine the only thing is thats it a bit laggy and its not fully supported yett, i dont know about the fan thing, I will try to listen carefully and return with more info.

My sleep dosent work but i think there is a fix for it somewhere in the ths forum.

At first I thought my EVGA GTX 570 SC is working perfectly but when I visited this thread again and tried programs like Cinebench, Chess and VLC i realized that that was not the case. Those programs keep crashing my OSX.

I have tried several boot loaders like Chimera and Chameleon 10XX Trunk, with and without graphics enabler (also with blank line), PCIRootUID and so on. The only way I get full resolution and the card recognized is when I use ATY_Init. But still I am not able to use any 3D Applications which kind sucked. CUDA is installed and netkas OpenCL patch is applied. Also modified AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext.

Any ideas? Anybody who got also an EVGA GTX 570 SC where everything works?

I got the gtx570 kext bundle and the geforcegl driver will not let me copy over it and replace ? it keeps saying I dont have proper privileges.

I think I got it to work (installed with b7) because I can find the "03" numbers with hexedit and nothing comes up when I put in "02" is there another way I can check if it worked ?

In Cuda via preferences it states "GPU Driver Version: 7.2.9 270.05.05f01"

I decided to try and reinstall [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.8 and I checked off [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url],system utility and the mac pro 4.1 option to see if that would help since my model identifier said mac pro 3.1.

It now says MacPro 4.1 and chess works perfect but I have to boot via -x or I get a kp , I don't know if it's because I'm in safe mode but ripple doesn't work and coverflow cant access this computer but chess works.

Is there a way I don't have to reinstall everything ?

1200 is GTX560Ti

1251 is GTX560M

1081 is GTX570

1080 is GTX580

1088 is GTX590

<string>

0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff

0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff

0x104010de&0xffc0ffff

0x124010de&0xffc0ffff

0x108110de&0xffe0ffff --> this is 570GTX and was added, change it to your device id

</string>

This does not work for me. I get that the file now has an error and cannot be installed? Here is what I am placing just before the end of the file:

<key>Device ID</key>

<string>

0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff

0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff

0x104010de&0xffc0ffff

0x124010de&0xffc0ffff

0x120010de&0xffe0ffff

</string>

I have a 560 ti

Ideas?

I cannot boot with the card as my primary card. It is recognized only if secondary. Otherwise I cannot boot at all. Any ideas on how to fix?

This does not work for me. I get that the file now has an error and cannot be installed? Here is what I am placing just before the end of the file:

<key>Device ID</key>

<string>

0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff

0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff

0x104010de&0xffc0ffff

0x124010de&0xffc0ffff

0x120010de&0xffe0ffff

</string>

I have a 560 ti

Ideas?

I cannot boot with the card as my primary card. It is recognized only if secondary. Otherwise I cannot boot at all. Any ideas on how to fix?

This seems simple enough but make sure you use something like [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to rebuild your kexts and caches after changing the Info.plist file in that or any next. Did you also install ATY_Init? You would need to rebuild after that as well. I installed that with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] because I guess it uses a different process than just adding it to the "Extra" folder in or on your main hard drive.

At first I thought my EVGA GTX 570 SC is working perfectly but when I visited this thread again and tried programs like Cinebench, Chess and VLC i realized that that was not the case. Those programs keep crashing my OSX.

I have tried several boot loaders like Chimera and Chameleon 10XX Trunk, with and without graphics enabler (also with blank line), PCIRootUID and so on. The only way I get full resolution and the card recognized is when I use ATY_Init. But still I am not able to use any 3D Applications which kind sucked. CUDA is installed and netkas OpenCL patch is applied. Also modified AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext.

Any ideas? Anybody who got also an EVGA GTX 570 SC where everything works?

OMG OMG OMG

I am so stupid. I was always reading that you have to set GraphicsEnabler to a blank line instead of GraphicsMode :)

Thanks to one guy in tonymac forum who mentioned the same mistake I figured it out and now I have my GTX 570 fully working with the latest chimera, GraphicsEnabler disabled, no PCIRootUID set and no ATY_Init. Now 3D Apps work and I get like 32 points in OpenGL Cinebench.

I am really happy right now :)

"I'm also using system profile Mac Pro 4,1." ........ how to do this ? mine says 3,1 right now.

I've installed the agpm580.kext and changed it to 4,1 via [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] which the later gives kp on start up.

I have a feeling no matter what I do only MacPro3,1 is going to boot properly.

Figured it out , I had Graphics Mode null in the L/P/SysConfig instead of the com.apple.boot.plist in the Extras folder, now I have chess working along with visualizer in itunes and opengl in Cinebench got only 37fps but I'm much further now.