Please help - SL kernel panics (due to disc errors)

feriso

3 posts in this topic

Ok, so I've been away from this forums for a while in terms of posting, just browsing for news really - I suppose this is a testament to how well osx works. However I've now got a problem and I'm getting a little rusty.

First things first, my system

Q6600

8GB ram

GA-P35-DS3R

8800GT

various drives

boots via Chameleon (v2 iirc; its been nearly 2 yrs!)

Recently my hack inst has started doing kernel panics during normal use for no apparent reason. Now a disk check shows BSD errors and that the keys are out of sequence. Doing a repair from the installation disk shows it can not be repaired and suggested an archive and reinstall. Now I managed to boot into SL long enough to run a SuperDuper clone onto another phtysical disk which checks out fine with no errors. Now I thought I would be able to boot off the clone though when I do it goes through the normal boot sequence fine but when the GUI comes up with a blue screen it gets no further, it just sticks there.

Now what I was hoping to do was to boot into my clone to format and clone back my original installation.

So one question is what is happening at the blue screen? Am i missing a setting or something? :(

Also wrt my original installation - what happened there? How did it get like that!

All help appreciated as I'm getting withdrawl symptoms :) and also I have 800 photos and 7hrs of video footage from a show that I need to process :o

Now what I was hoping to do was to boot into my clone to format and clone back my original installation.
You could do a fresh install then transfer settings/files from SuperDuper clone disk.

There is a chance that the problematic disk is going to die. Try checking it with manufacturer provided disk tool(s).

Well. as an update and to be informative I found the problem.

After numerous attempts to install a fresh copy of OSX, all of which failed due to "failure to verify Essentials.pkg' I found that this was indicative of a RAM problem.

So I removed all but one stick of RAM (2GB) and..... voila it works with no KP's; put one more stick (4GB) and it's working so far. I have some media work I need to do so I'm not trying anymore till its done and then I'll find out which stick is duff and replace it.

Anyway, thankfully it all looks OK and no need for any reinstallation - just to show as an OS its proving very reliable, more so than the hardware !! :D