[GUIDE] Dell Studio 1558 ATI 5470 Core i7 - What I've got working so far

lifelike27

227 posts in this topic

Which graphics personality did you use in the end?

With Zonalis works and remove the vga monitor, but HDMI still didn't work, also I've got random KPs on boot. HDMI it works only with Langur, but I've got a defective image from the main lcd as soon as I connect the HDMI cable. So I'm using Hoolock that it is stable.

And with the new voodooHDA I've got random KPs, even removing the HDEF from the DSDT files, any idea?

Thanks!

I've just purchased a 1558 with a spec very similar to others on this thread: i7 720QM, ATI 5470, 8Gb RAM, OCZ 240Gb SSD.

I installed Lion (11A511) using the USB key method. I found 'Chameleon RC5 752 Lion+Snow.pkg' to be the most reliable. But I've really been muddling through using trial and error for two days.

This is my current state:

Lion 10.7 - boots from HD fine using 'Chameleon RC5 752 Lion+Snow.pkg'. I haven't updated to 10.7.1

Graphics - correctly displaying 1366x768px

Keyboard and trackpad - Work fine with CharlieSheen's VoodooPS2 kexts

Ethernet - Not yet checked but is recognised using CharlieSheen's 'IONetworkingFamily.kext'

Wireless - Not working, even with 1510 card installed, do I need a kext?

Sound - Not working. Tried the modified VoodooHDA in this thread, but causes Kernel Panic. So does VoodooHDA 2.7.2.

Sleep - Not working but that's fine I can live without it.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Have I gone wrong somewhere? In LifeLike27's "UPDATE 2 (06/08/2011)" post it says "Follow either one of these two guides to install Lion" then install all the files uploaded by CharlieSheen.

If I follow this instruction to the letter I would be installing 'Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg.zip' AND 'Extra_MacBookPro6_1.zip' AND everything supplied by CharlieSheen. Is that correct? Doesn't that mean that lots of files ( such as Chameleon, 'com.apple.boot.plist' and some kexts ) will be over written at each stage?

I couldn't get it to work this way and ended up doing one kext at a time.

Thanks

Rich

I've just purchased a 1558 with a spec very similar to others on this thread: i7 720QM, ATI 5470, 8Gb RAM, OCZ 240Gb SSD.

I installed Lion (11A511) using the USB key method. I found 'Chameleon RC5 752 Lion+Snow.pkg' to be the most reliable. But I've really been muddling through using trial and error for two days.

This is my current state:

Lion 10.7 - boots from HD fine using 'Chameleon RC5 752 Lion+Snow.pkg'. I haven't updated to 10.7.1

Graphics - correctly displaying 1366x768px

Keyboard and trackpad - Work fine with CharlieSheen's VoodooPS2 kexts

Ethernet - Not yet checked but is recognised using CharlieSheen's 'IONetworkingFamily.kext'

Wireless - Not working, even with 1510 card installed, do I need a kext?

Sound - Not working. Tried the modified VoodooHDA in this thread, but causes Kernel Panic. So does VoodooHDA 2.7.2.

Sleep - Not working but that's fine I can live without it.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Have I gone wrong somewhere? In LifeLike27's "UPDATE 2 (06/08/2011)" post it says "Follow either one of these two guides to install Lion" then install all the files uploaded by CharlieSheen.

If I follow this instruction to the letter I would be installing 'Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg.zip' AND 'Extra_MacBookPro6_1.zip' AND everything supplied by CharlieSheen. Is that correct? Doesn't that mean that lots of files ( such as Chameleon, 'com.apple.boot.plist' and some kexts ) will be over written at each stage?

I couldn't get it to work this way and ended up doing one kext at a time.

Thanks

Rich

Hey Rich,

Firstly, this post goes out to roy1971 as well.

I'm sorry if my initial post was confusing. I didn't realize that there was an extra package in the other guide. I've installed the Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg as well but it was probably overwritten with CharlieSheen's kexts pack so you shouldn't worry. When I installed Lion, I used the installation method which didn't use a USB (i.e installed on a separate partition): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=260594

The System Definition 6.1 doesn't affect the installation, it's only for aesthetics. Your processor and RAM are recognized at full clock speed even if they aren't shown in System Information.

Installing a hackintosh is a funny business, it takes a lot of trial and error. Sometimes things don't work and you have no idea why. Basically, even though you get kps when you install a new kext like the VoodooHDA, try rebooting into safe mode. If that works, just restart and try to boot normally. I still recommend VoodooHDA because it's easier to find other people who have fixes for it.

Try using the VoodooHDA kext from here:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=103006

Give it a couple of restarts and it should work. It's what I'm currently using and it works pretty well. Just note that you shouldn't put the volume of the media source to 100% because then you tend to get a crackling sound. So, if you're playing music on iTunes, put iTunes' volume to around 90% and the master volume to 100% (or what ever you prefer) and it'll be fine.

For your wireless, try booting into 32bit mode and see if wifi is recognized there, if it is, reboot into 64bit. Otherwise, try using this IO80211Family kext that I'm currently using (it's an older one that came with Snow Leopard) and it's the only one that works in Lion as apposed to Lion's IO80211Family kext. IO80211Family.kext.zip

Also, you can update to 10.7.1 but you might run into boot issues because you're using the Chameleon RC5 752 Snow+Lion bootloader. After I upgraded, I had to constantly boot into safe mode and then reboot normally to avoid kps. To fix that, I installed Chimera 1.5.3 and it seems to be working alright now (after a couple of reboots and safe mode boots).

I hope you'll get it working. If not, post back and I'll see what I can do to help. I get kps on and off, sometimes, I just need to restart once and it works fine - sometimes twice. (not going to mess with it now that I have important files on this OS).

Cheers,

Lifelike27

Ok, some success.

lifelike27's 'IO80211Family.kext.zip', which is listed earlier in the thread kinda worked (thanks for that). Initially, it gave some weird results - first off the wireless network wouldn't accept a correct WPA password, then, when it finally accepted the password, system preferences said that I was using Bluetooth to connect to a wireless network! ;)

Finally, because of another kernel panic, I did another reinstall... now it sees the card as you install Lion and fuctions correctly. Yippee!

I managed to get audio working by doing the install of VoodooHDA from within [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Also, the 10.7.1 update worked like a charm 'Chameleon RC5 752 Lion+Snow' seemed to have no problem.

So only two niggles now; The battery function still isn't working VoodooBattery doesn't seem to work. The graphics card thinks an external monitor is attached.

Should you get kps saying "Mac OS version: Not yet set." then you should try installing Chimera. Boot with a live CD/USB or boot with safe mode.

Ignore the external monitor bug, it's a known issue and I don't think anyone knows how to fix it. I think it depends on what ATI personality you're using. I used to have that same problem but now that I'm using Zonalis, that problem seems to have disappeared.

When you say that VoodooBattery isn't working, do you mean the kext isn't loaded at all or the battery icon doesn't seem to be appearing in the menu bar? If it's the latter, head to your System Preferences -> Energy Saver and make sure that the option 'Show battery status in menu bar' is checked. Otherwise try to find a newer version of the battery kext. A quick search for the most recent battery kexts brings this link to me: http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1384

One thing to note, using the older version of IO80211Family kext means that you won't have AirDrop capabilities - sorry.

Hello!

Thanks for great tutorial and help.

I got my Dell Studio 1558 with i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and ATI Radeon 5470M 1GB,

Everything worked! (Except Wifi, I ordered dongle online no worry)

But In About this Mac, it shows 2.53 GHz Intel Core2Duo,

Does it affects CPU speed or is it fine?

Please let me know.

Thanks again!

Hello!

Thanks for great tutorial and help.

I got my Dell Studio 1558 with i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and ATI Radeon 5470M 1GB,

Everything worked! (Except Wifi, I ordered dongle online no worry)

But In About this Mac, it shows 2.53 GHz Intel Core2Duo,

Does it affects CPU speed or is it fine?

Please let me know.

Thanks again!

You don't have to worry about it. It's just text, doesn't do anything. If you want to change it, prasys has a good tutorial to do this: http://prasys.info/2009/09/guidecreating-y...n-smbios-plist/

Hi Lifelike

Thanks for your help.

I tried the battery kext you mentioned and it works great. Previous versions I had tried created an immediate KP. After installing it I ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] permissions repair/cache rebuild, rather than just a Disk Utility rebuild (don't know if that made the difference).

I haven't tried Chimera yet. I do still get random kernel panics on start up, similar to the ones you described. It would be really nice to isolate the cause.

Messed around with ATI personalities. I altered the key/string in the Extras/com.apple.Boot.plist, which I assume was the correct way to do it, but they made no difference.

Not to worried about the old IO80211Family kext's lack of AirDrop capabilities - I've lasted years without it :))

Has anyone got the optional backlit keyboard to work? I was thinking about buying one.

I'm also considering doing a vinyl wrap on mine to make it look a little more Mac-like.

Backlit keyboard works fine.

Do you have a problem with the volume keys? I'm just wondering because there's a specific problem that others (including me) have been having and I was just wondering if the normal keyboard had this issue as well.

I still recommend Chimera provided you know how to return to the previous bootloader without an issue.

Lol, I know that feeling well. You should keep this system as your test system. I didn't do that when I started my hackintosh project. I used my main system (this one) and blindly went ahead. I'm lucky I got everything working (mostly).

Hello CharlieSheen! Glad to see your still alive. :(

I've updated to 10.7.2 as well but with one small glitch. Since I'm using the older IO80211Family Kext, the update overwrote that so I lost wireless. To fix that, just add the old kext back on as you did previously and you'll be good to go!

I'm off to try out different hacks with iCloud. :D

Hi Lifelike27 and CharlieSheen. My 10.7.2 works fine too.

BTW, my Lion frequently gets KP from the ATI driver. It gets worse when I enable VoodooHDA. My hardware configuration is identical to Charlie's.

Any tips to reduce the chance of ATI KP? Which audio codec should I choose to patch AppleHDA?

Many thanks in advance!

Edit: I am using Zonalis normally (switch to Baboon for HDMI). I tried Chameleon 1083, 1627, Chimera r77, 1.5.4, etc but all gets frequent, random KPs.

lifelike27,

I've deleted AppleHDA when using VoodooHDA. ATI KPs always happening, just with a higher chance if using VoodooHDA as well.

I am working with no sound right now. Seems that the best way to boot is 1) -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No, 2) Shutdown, and 3) boot normally.

Good news guys! After having access to an monitor with HDMI outputs since I'm away from home at university, I've finally been able to try all the different ATI personalities to find out which one works best (for me at least).

Hoolock - monitor detects signal but soon displays 'No signal' on it.

Zonalis (current) - doesn't work but causes a scrambled display on my laptop screen. (See screenshot from previous post)

Langur - Works, but scrambled display on laptop screen.

Orangutan (spelling might be off) - WIN! Both LCD monitor _AND_ laptop display work great! It also doesn't seem to be causing KPs during my testing phase.

VGA didn't work for the top three - I didn't try VGA on Orangutan. I'll update this post once I do.

I might be getting a monitor with only VGA and DVI because it fits in my budget. I'll be getting a DVI to HDMI cable to use with it, though I'm not sure if it would work especially since OS X is pretty annoying to work with when it comes to these things. Any ideas?

Also, it would be nice if you'll could try out different ATI configs and post the outcome here for everyone if you'll have the time and resources.

(Quick guide: When at the chameleon/chimera boot screen, type in AtiConfig=Zonalis/Hoolock/Orangutan/Langur and hit enter. If you get a KP just repeat and it might not have a KP after that)

Enjoy!

lifelike27,

I've deleted AppleHDA when using VoodooHDA. ATI KPs always happening, just with a higher chance if using VoodooHDA as well.

I am working with no sound right now. Seems that the best way to boot is 1) -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No, 2) Shutdown, and 3) boot normally.

What bootloader are you using?

Hi guys

I have the same laptop intel core i7 720, ati 5470 etc.

But I have little problems.

I installed to help Lion USB and I used the CharlieSheen package.

Does not work me the Battery indicator

When you install the 10.7.2 update so my PC does not start (KP)

I installed 10.7.1 using Chimera bootloader but I have random Kernel Panic.

I bought over eBay card Dell Wireless Card 1510 - (4324 - BRCM 1045) but does not work.

I think that the fan goes to a lot of great performance when doing nothing.

I have to use Kernel Flags arch = i386 to my keyboard and touchpad work but instructions are included no special Kernel Flags.

That's about everything.

Thanks in advance to help solve my problems.

Thanks

Li-Bot

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys

I have the same laptop intel core i7 720, ati 5470 etc.

But I have little problems.

I installed to help Lion USB and I used the CharlieSheen package.

Does not work me the Battery indicator

When you install the 10.7.2 update so my PC does not start (KP)

I installed 10.7.1 using Chimera bootloader but I have random Kernel Panic.

I bought over eBay card Dell Wireless Card 1510 - (4324 - BRCM 1045) but does not work.

I think that the fan goes to a lot of great performance when doing nothing.

I have to use Kernel Flags arch = i386 to my keyboard and touchpad work but instructions are included no special Kernel Flags.

That's about everything.

Thanks in advance to help solve my problems.

Thanks

Li-Bot

Try booting with arch = i386 using a USB keyboard. That should solve the wireless issue. Please read the entire thread. There are fixes for all that you've mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for the guide.

any way to install without having another mac?

Thanks

Install SL first, it's ok if the graphics don't work, don't bother trying. Just use the installation to make the bootable Lion partition/USB.

• 2 weeks later...

small-logo.png

Hello

I need to deal with CPU / GPU temperature.

How is it going to measure?

how can I measure the speed of the fan?

Because when I turn on the PC so the fan runs at medium.

I tried to let the PC is activated for an hour without it I would do something and the fan runs just the same.

Fan does not want to weaken.

Thanks fot support.

Li-Bot

small-logo.png