Lion and Intel HD Graphics

KHIT

7 posts in this topic

Hi

I've just got my HP laptop booting the OS X Lion 10.7 DP4 Installation USB Flash Drive, but as soon as I get to the part where it switches from the text screen in verbose mode, I get monitor input, but I only have a black screen.

My systems boots with the Intel Integrated HD Graphics according to chameleon RC5 r1011(latest at the moment), and I can't change that, because HP has blocked that option i BIOS.

The easiest way to get rid of the problem would be to remove the AppleIntelHDGraphics kexts from the Extensions folder, but how should I get native resolution and QE/CI support?

Has there been made an app or kext to emulate the switchable graphics in OS X, so I will be able to switch to my AMD Radeon HD5650 after installation of OS X?

Will someone please reply to this topic, I desperately need OS X to run on my PC.

Thansk a lot in advance

Hi

I have now tried what they said in the graphics card subforum, and now I get the installation screen to appear. But as soon as I try installing OS X on my Mac OS(Journaled) partition the installation freezes when there is 10 minutes left.

I have attached screenshots.

And yes, I know that the language on the images are in danish, but in my opinion that doesn't matter, for solving my problem.

Why does my installer freeze? Is it because it searches for the deleted files?

If it's because the installer is searching for the files, is there any way to remove the deleted files from the search?

"The computer is equipped with switchable graphics and has two modes for processing graphics. When switching from AC power to battery power, the computer switches from High-performance mode to Power-saving mode to conserve battery life. Similarly, when switching from battery power to AC power, the computer switches back to the High-performance mode.

NOTE: In order to optimize computer performance, the system might not allow switching modes, or prompt you to switch modes. It might be necessary to close all programs before switching.

NOTE: HDMI only works in the High-performance mode. You cannot use HDMI in Power-saving mode.

When switching between AC and battery power, you are notified that the computer is about to switch graphics modes. If you prefer, choose to continue using the same graphics mode. While the computer switches modes, the screen goes blank for a few seconds. When the switch is complete, a notification appears in the notification area, and the screen image reappears." this is from user's manual

I think if u left the AC power cord connected u r using ati graphics, did u tried with GraphicsEnabler=Yes or GraphicsEnabler=No those work for me without them my display goes black after verbose mode when about to load the login screen.Good luck

Ok, I have now tried running the installer with GraphicsEnaber=Yes and also tried with GraphicsEnabler=No

With it set to YES, it freezes just before entering the mac os x verbose mode.

When setting it to NO, it runs perfectly, untill it should enter Mac OS X installer, but then I get blank screen.

In this test it ran on AC Power.

As soon as my battery is charged enough to make a test on battery power, I'll try with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and GraphicsEnabler=No again.

Oh, and if it could give any help at all, here is my com.apple.boot.plist:

Contents of com.apple.boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v cpus=1</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

</dict>

</plist>

And also:

Contents of smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>07/26/10</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP61.88Z.0057.B0C.1007261552</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F22589C8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacBook Pro</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro6,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

I have now tried the same using the computer on battery power. The same results. I don't know if you're told about the way switchable graphics are used on my machine, but in case you don't, I'll explain it.

Switchable Graphics are managed through a program which can be started when you right-click on the desktop in windows. in the context menu, you can choose Switchable Graphics, and in the window showing up, you can choose Power Saving graphics or High Performance graphics. You can also untick a field, for disabling the switching of graphics in Windows.

I have also tried booting chameleon based installer without graphical user interface, so I only have the commandprompt. It says that I'm using Intel Integrated HD Graphics, which means my systems boots on the Intel graphics, and switches right before entering windows logon screen.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread.

Any new info on GPU switching on laptops with Intel HD (mine is HD3000 Sandy-bridge) & AMD 6xxx cards ?

On my setup, the AMD card is working but I cannot switch to it. The display is detected as being connected to the IntelHD. There must be some way to get it working using some DSDT edit.