Usenet

13 posts in this topic

So I just bought my first usenet subscription and I thought I'd see what I could learn from ya'll.

What are your favorite groups? What search engines do you use? What do you wish you would have known as a n00b? :D

nice mash i use usenet alot too. I use usenetmonster with newzbin for searching the groups. The only thing is that newzbin closed subscriptions although u can browse wih limited capabilities.

I use unison on mac

annd grabit on windows

Can someone give me an explanation of all this. A friend of mine gave me a fews applications like Unison , MacPAR Deluxe, and Split and Concat. I really am not sure how to get started with them and I'm not sure where I could learn more about them. Any help? Thanks a lot, kevin

Kev-

The Par is to fix any corrupted files you download, assuming you get the .par files along with them. Split and concat is just for splitting and connecting .zip files, etc.

As far as downloaders, I think I've tried them all and for my purposes (just grabbing files, no uploading, no message reading) I found the best for mac is hellanzb, and for windows, it's sabnzbd.

Sabnzbd for win is so good that I've kept my old windows box running just for that program, man I wish there was an OS X port! Hella is almost as good but takes a bit more time to setup.

Drop your .nzbs into a black hole directory, those programs do all the work for you: download the files, download any par files only if necessary, repair/unpack/join file, delete the originals, bob's your uncle. Zero user input required. Sabnzbd also has an rss downloader for your nzbs (albeit it's a little flaky but coming along well).

For nzbs, I used to use newzbin but I found the free alternatives aren't that bad: nzbsrus is great (if you got a good ad blocker); binsearch.info and tvnzb.com also decent (especially since tvnzb publishes to rss). In the up-and-coming category, nzbmatrix is small but they have some good posters over there.

One word:

Easynews.

There is simply nothing else like it, regardless of price. You can do everything from their website, no need for news clients, binary downloaders, etc etc. I've been using Usenet for two decades now, and since binaries turned into "the way to move things around" compared to FTP sites, etc, Easynews has remained the premiere way to get access.

I know people love using binary downloaders these days, but since you can do all of that stuff from their web interface, it's kinda ridiculous.

Oh, and they can generate NZB files on the fly. They have a Global Search to find anything on Usenet in seconds, which then becomes a downloadable link with one click. PAR recovery and PAR checking/verification before you ever download a single part and waste time.

Queues that are created when you find a bunch of files you'd like to keep, i.e. a large picture stash. Instead of leeching them all, find what you want, select one or a range of links, and Easynews' ZipManager queues up all the files in a single Zip archive that - yep, you guessed it - becomes a single click download link.

There are other services, sure, some offering more in terms of download amounts (Easynews is $9.98 for 20GB or a month, whichever comes first, unused gigs roll over to the following month, you can get more credit for running software similar to Folding@Home, etc), but the sheer ability to find anything on Usenet and download it with a click is unbeatable.

Just my $.02, a proud Easynews member for over 8 years now.

bb

• 3 months later...

I have used Usenet for over 2 years now I think. I stared with it on my Windows-machine with NewsLeecher.. When i moved over to Mac i tried Unison amongst others, but no-one was satisfying enough.

So I fould hellanzb, and together with newzbin.com that works great!

Now i have my own server running Win2003 x64 with i run ZABnzbd, i find everything I need on newzbin, and just copy the PostID onto my server..

As my Usenetoprovider i use UsenetServer.com. No restrictions :)

Shurt: Usenet is the part of internet RIAA & MPAA don't know exist :smoke:

yeah if you are using sabznd you should try out this

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/3937

if you use it in conjunction with greasemonkey in firefox or creamonkey in safari you just edit the script with a text editor and replace the server url/port with your sabnzbd installation and when you use it with v3.newzbin.com it will show a Rep, Unpack, Delete, Bookmark choice at each post. you click which one you want and it automatically tells sabnzd to download it without you having to copy and paste it.

Shurt: Usenet is the part of internet RIAA & MPAA don't know exist ^_^

Well, they do know it exists, but there isn't much they can do about it, due to its completely distributed nature. They can file DMCA complaints to the ISP or news server provider of the person posting something, but that's about it. There is no way they can find out who downloads anything.