Asus P6T Deluxe V2/Core i7 920 is go...but no sound

Richard79

11 posts in this topic

OK people, I'm not sure what the rules are regarding posting info about pre-release installation of Lion, but as there's a sub forum I'm going to assume that it's ok to post this.

I've been running a Snow Leopard installation for sometime now and the original installation information can be found here

I upgraded to 10.7 (from 10.6.7) using the information here

Install was a breeze and I booted into Lion within 30 mins of starting the guide above. To my utter astonishment nearly everything worked from go, full HD graphics, Wireless networking on my Belkin dongle, optical drives, even my SSD.

The only problem I encountered was sound. I tried running the patch found in dgobe's Snow Leopard installation guide (first link above) but that made no difference at all.

I could install the voodooHDA kext on the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disc but I've had real problems with that in the past, including non-bootable/non-recoverable installs. Suffice to say, I do not want to do that.

If anyone can help get my audio (including TOS Link/Optical Out) I would be very grateful.

I'm going to like to this post in both of the threads above to see if I can divert some attention this way, I'm sure others will want an answer to this question too.

Oh, and one final word. Apples move to distribution through App Store only may cause some people to download Lion from nefarious sources. I'm not sure whether it's even going to be possible to download via App Store and create an install disc/USB, but if that is possible I implore you to pay for the software. Apple have slashed the price of their major releases and still haven't taken significant steps to discourage use on non-apple hardware (something I'm sure they could do easily if they were so minded). Play fair and pay for Software that deserves its price.

Bump,

Though I use a usb dac for sound out I'd love to have an answer to this as well. I didn't have any luck with dgobe's patch either but it would be nice to be able to get sound-in to work. I agree, VodooHDA isn't an option especially for our board.

Looks like we've got the same hardware except for gpu, hds, & optical. Great osx86 board.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I managed to get AppleHDA working under Lion on my Deluxe V2 by applying the patch I used for 10.6.8:-

(1) Make sure you load the attached AD2000b.kext (I've installed Chameleon on the EFI partition so on my system it's in /Extra/10.7/Extensions - I suppose it would be in /Extra/Extensions if Chameleon is installed on the Lion partition).

(2) Patch the AppleHDA binary - open the Terminal and type in the following command:-

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x19\xd4\x11|\x9b\x98\xd4\x11|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

(3) Copy the attached layout12.xml and Platforms.xml files to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources. As they'll replace the existing ones, you may want to backup them first.

(4) Clear the system caches - delete the whole contents of the /System/Library/Caches directory.

Reboot and hopefully onboard sound should be working.

Cheers

Alain

layout12.xml

Platforms.xml

AD2000b.kext.zip

Hi,

I managed to get AppleHDA working under Lion on my Deluxe V2 by applying the patch I used for 10.6.8:-

(1) Make sure you load the attached AD2000b.kext (I've installed Chameleon on the EFI partition so on my system it's in /Extra/10.7/Extensions - I suppose it would be in /Extra/Extensions if Chameleon is installed on the Lion partition).

(2) Patch the AppleHDA binary - open the Terminal and type in the following command:-

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x19\xd4\x11|\x9b\x98\xd4\x11|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

(3) Copy the attached layout12.xml and Platforms.xml files to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources. As they'll replace the existing ones, you may want to backup them first.

(4) Clear the system caches - delete the whole contents of the /System/Library/Caches directory.

Reboot and hopefully onboard sound should be working.

Cheers

Alain

i used vodoohda kext on my rampage 2 gene, (ad2000b)...but no sound from front port...your solution will work on my motherboard?

i used vodoohda kext on my rampage 2 gene, (ad2000b)...but no sound from front port...your solution will work on my motherboard?

Hi xevil, the patching of the AppleHDA and the AD2000b.kext should be alright, but I think the layout12.xml file will work only if the HDEF section in your DSDT is similar to this one:-

Device (HDEF)
 {
   Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
   {
     Store (Package (0x04)
     {
       "layout-id", 
       Buffer (0x04)
       {
         0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
       }, 
       "PinConfigurations", 
       Buffer (Zero) {}
     }, Local0)
     DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
     Return (Local0)
   }
 }

The important bit is the value of the layout-id variable, 0x0000000C i.e. 12.

Worth giving it a go anyway, best of luck !

Cheers

Alain

Hi xevil, the patching of the AppleHDA and the AD2000b.kext should be alright, but I think the layout12.xml file will work only if the HDEF section in your DSDT is similar to this one:-

Device (HDEF)
 {
   Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
   {
     Store (Package (0x04)
     {
       "layout-id", 
       Buffer (0x04)
       {
         0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
       }, 
       "PinConfigurations", 
       Buffer (Zero) {}
     }, Local0)
     DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
     Return (Local0)
   }
 }

The important bit is the value of the layout-id variable, 0x0000000C i.e. 12.

Worth giving it a go anyway, best of luck !

Cheers

Alain

mmmh i don't touch the applehda, simply i used mald0n guide, then i used auto-patcher dsdt then i used kext helper to put vodoohda(i write a mini-guide, just read what i did in my signature).

I'm a totally newbie, how to edit the dsdt? if i upload it can we do something?