Nvidia GTX 295 Black Screen

uachu

31 posts in this topic

Hello, forgive my English, I use a translator.

I have GTX 295 Single-PCB running on Snow Leopard, by efi string in com.apple.boot.plist and NVGTX295.Fix.kext in E / E.

Lion I installed and followed the same steps to install the GTX 295, but the screen goes black. Lion works because I give volume and listen.

Any ideas?

Again, forgive my English

Thanks!

Hi...

i had the same issue that you have, but my GTX 295 is dual pcb, solved that from my snow leo instalation, used all the kext i have in Snow Leo and put another one, EVOenabler.Kext, system boot fine but no hardware acelaration and my GTX 295 is recognized as HD4890 896MB...

tryed the string in the com.apple.plist but no successe so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The following maybe of help for folks running 10.6.7 or earlier with a NVIDIA GTS/GTX 2xx graphics card and wanting to update to 10.6.8.

Prior to the 10.6.8 update, download two kexts by nawcom http://prasys.info/legacy_kexts_by_nawcom.zip

Unzip the file and use Kext Helper to install both EvilAppleACPIPlatform.kext and EvilIOPCIFamily.kext to /Extra/Extensions.

This ensured my GTX 295 graphics card will continue to work after the 10.6.8 update. No changes were needed to my boot plist file which has the EFI string for my GTX 295 card.

Thanks to nawcom for providing the two kexts.

The system sleep is failing though under 10.6.8 for me with this method. However, the display can sleep and wake up without any problems with Apple's native 10.6.8 drivers.

- meroy

After some time, my system is now able to sleep properly. The 2 extensions EvilAppleACPIPlatform.kext and EvilIOPCIFamily.kext (I believe) will break sleep. But I needed those in order for my GTX 295 to work.

So, I looked deeper and the problem was with my EFI string. 10.6.7 and earlier were more forgiving, but not 10.6.8.

I removed the 2 Evil* extensions and now able to run 10.6.8 with Apple's drivers and also Nvidia's Quadro 4000 drivers as well. The latter is required for CUDA to work when not using the Evil* extensions. The single-PCB edition has a GPU without any physical display ports and that causes CUDA to fail as something doesn't initialize correctly with Apple's drivers.

My new plist which works with both Apple and Nvidia's drivers and 10.6.8 without the Evil* extensions: (This may not work for the dual-PCB edition)

Note: The culprit was was with the device-type. Each GPU is different. The one having display connections is set to NVDA,Parent and the other to NVDA,GeForce.

I'm using a new NVCAP value. I need to test dual displays though. The NVCAP value was obtain from the ROM.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	<dict>
			<key>@0,compatible</key>
			<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
			<key>@0,device_type</key>
			<string>display</string>
			<key>@0,name</key>
			<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
			<key>NVCAP</key>
			<data>BAAAAAAADwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=</data>
			<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
			<data>AAAAOA==</data>
			<key>device_type</key>
			<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
			<key>model</key>
			<string>GeForce GTX 295</string>
			<key>rom-revision</key>
			<string>62.00.6C.00.05</string>
	</dict>
	<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	<dict>
			<key>@0,compatible</key>
			<string>display</string>
			<key>@0,name</key>
			<key>@1,compatible</key>
			<key>@1,device_type</key>
			<string>display</string>
			<key>@1,name</key>
			<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
			<key>NVCAP</key>
			<data>BAAAAAAADwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=</data>
			<data>AAAAOA==</data>
			<key>device_type</key>
			<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
			<key>model</key>
			<string>GeForce GTX 295</string>
			<key>rom-revision</key>
			<string>62.00.6C.00.04</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

My GraphicsEnabler is set to No in my boot.plist file.

Here's a suggestion for folks who currently have a working 10.6.7 and a GTX 2xx card.

1. Look at the device_type entry

2. 10.6.8 requires that to be set to NVDA,Parent versus NVDA,GeForce

Previously, we had this with 10.6.7 and below.

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>

<key>name</key>

In 10.6.8, it needs to be the following: (name is not necessary).

This works with both 10.6.7 and 10.6.8

<key>device_type</key>

So, just make that change to your current EFI plist file and update the EFI string in your boot plist file prior to updating to 10.6.8.

Folks running a GTX 295 card (single-PCB edition) will need Nvidia's Quadro 4000 drivers in order for CUDA to work. The reason is that Apple's native Nvidia driver is not able to properly configure one of the GPUs. However, the system will load and OpenGL is fine.

I hope this helps folks out there who are currently running a GTX 2xx card successfully with 10.6.7 or earlier and wanting to update to 10.6.8.

Tip for the GTX 295 single-PCB edition:

A GTX 295 single-PCB edition requires the device-type entry to be set to NVDA,GeForce for the first GPU (0x0,0x0) and NVDA,Parent for the 2nd GPU (0x2,0x0).

A GTX 295 dual-PCB edition (I believe) may need device_type for both GPUs to be set to NVDA,Parent. (I'm not sure... someone with a dual-PCB can verify...)

- meroy

Steps to go from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8: (for folks already with a working 10.6.7 or earlier and a GTX 2xx card)

1. Ensure your gfx.plist has device_type set correctly. Read my previous post here in the forum.

2. Create the hex via gfxutil and update the EFI string in your boot plist file.

3. Reboot to ensure your 10.6.7 is working

4. Then, follow Tommy's OS update via [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

5. The 10.6.8 OS should boot up fine with the graphics card using the update boot plist

Afterwards, you can then set GraphicsEnabler to No and test or just leave it if all is fine.

GTX 295 folks will need to set that to No and update to Nvidia's driver for CUDA to work.

Hi....

meroy i've been trying to do what you said, but i don't how to get to the device_type and all that...

can you elaborate and do a step by step guide.

i have a GTX295 fully working on 10.6.7, when i try to update to 10.6.8 the far i was able to go is blue screen or the screen goes to sleep.

thanks in advance!

Confirmed working on a my Asus ENGTX295 dual-pcb edition using 10.6.8.

For the dual-pcb edition you need to set:

<key>device_type</key>

For BOTH gpus as pointed out by meroy.

Then remove (also for both gpus) :

<key>name</key>

And you're good to go :-)

Here's my gfx.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>@0,compatible</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@0,name</key>
<key>@1,compatible</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@1,name</key>
<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>
<string>0x01000000</string>
<key>@2,#size-cells</key>
<string>0x00000000</string>
<key>@2,compatible</key>
<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>
<key>@2,device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>
<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>
<string>0x02000000</string>
<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>
<key>@2,name</key>
<string>sensor-parent</string>
<key>@2,reg</key>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<data>
BQAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAACwAAAAA=
</data>
<data>
AAAAOA==
</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<key>model</key>
<string>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295</string>
<key>rom-revision</key>
<string>62.00.6C.00.01</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>@0,compatible</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@0,name</key>
<key>@1,compatible</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@1,name</key>
<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>
<string>0x01000000</string>
<key>@2,#size-cells</key>
<string>0x00000000</string>
<key>@2,compatible</key>
<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>
<key>@2,device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>
<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>
<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>
<key>@2,name</key>
<string>sensor-parent</string>
<key>@2,reg</key>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<data>
BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=
</data>
<key>NVPM</key>
<data>
AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
</data>
<data>
AAAAOA==
</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<key>model</key>
<string>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295</string>
<key>rom-revision</key>
<string>62.00.6C.00.02</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Thanks for everything!

Screenshot below...

EDIT: It seems to be working only when I downgrade the nvidia drivers to 19.5.8f01 and the OpenGL framework to 2.1.

When using the 10.6.8 drivers or the latest retail quadro4000 mac drivers it will get stuck that light blue screen that you should see a few seconds before the desktop loads :(

Anything wrong with my gfx.plist?

How can I extract the NVCAP value from my rom?

Maybe I need to remove some extra values like NVPM and GPUDiode..

Lol much testing to do.

EDIT TWO:

For the ones stuck on the blue screen, here's the package that includes the downgrade for both the nvidia drivers and OpenGL framework.

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=970

I want to use the latest drivers:P

post-386498-1311274506_thumb.png

Can someone please elaborate on what needs to be done if I have a NVGTX295.Fix.kext and usually add a HEX value into device-properties in the com.apple.boot.plist? I have updated to 10.6.8 to find the black screen, then I removed the device-properties HEX value and can still use the computer with a very low resolution

PS. I have the EVGA CO-OP GTX295

Thanks MastarG, i gess i understant a little more now on what to do, didn't see that was needed to change boot device_type and have to remove the name string...

but what i don't know yet it's were gfx.plist is and then what to... do i have to generate a new .hex and put it on the com.apple.boot.plist?

Yes you need to save the gfx.plist and use gfxutil to convert it to hex.

You can find gfxutil everywhere.

Use: gfxutil -i xml -o hex gfx.plist out.hex

Then copy the contents of out.hex into your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>the very long hex code from out.hex goes here</string>

Its a bit hard to this from console in single user mode.

I guess the easiest way is to place your gfx.plist com.apple.Boot.plist gfxutil on a usb drive and use another mac computer to generate the hex and save it into your com.apple.Boot.plist.

Then boot your hackintosh in single user and copy the com.apple.Boot.plist from the usb drive to /Extra.

If your computer hangs on the blue screen just before login then you have to temporary disable the device-properties key (just rename it to <key>blahdevice-properties</key> or something) and boot in safe-mode with -x.

Then you can install the pkg from my last post to downgrade the OpenGL framework and nvidia drivers.

Re-enable the device-properties key and you should be good to go :blink:

i used the link you post to generate my .Hex when i get it to work on my 10.6.7 first time, now to generate my new .Hex i edited the dualpcb.plist that comes in there and manage to get the new .Hex, put it and give it a try, blue screen with the mouse cursor showing, nothing more, the i tried installing the pkg that you mention but it was worst, screen goes black again and then reboot it self.

anyone manage to get GTX295 dual pcb to work with lion?

Need some help...

I've been trying to get my GTX295 to work with Lion and so far not been 100% successfull...

First i start by trying to get it to work with de device-properties String from my 10.6.7 but always get monitor suspends,

Then i tried new string that i have generated by changing the device type NVDA,Parent on one gpu and on both gpus and get stuck on grey screen with mouse that then it freezes completly.

from here i tried to change/add my device id in NVDANV50Hal.kext( copied it from my kext in 10.6.7) and the system boot ok, my GTX295 is recognized but can't change the screen resolution and have no hardware acceleration, what else can i do to get my GTX295 to work with full hardware aceleration??

Have any of you tried unplugging then replugging your monitors power cord after osx loads? I have a gtx 260 and I have to do that after every restart. Everything works perfect after that though, full resolution and ripple effects on dashboard. I have no drivers or anything like that, just graphicsenabler=yes in boot.plist.

Need some help...

I've been trying to get my GTX295 to work with Lion and so far not been 100% successfull...

First i start by trying to get it to work with de device-properties String from my 10.6.7 but always get monitor suspends,

Then i tried new string that i have generated by changing the device type NVDA,Parent on one gpu and on both gpus and get stuck on grey screen with mouse that then it freezes completly.

from here i tried to change/add my device id in NVDANV50Hal.kext( copied it from my kext in 10.6.7) and the system boot ok, my GTX295 is recognized but can't change the screen resolution and have no hardware acceleration, what else can i do to get my GTX295 to work with full hardware aceleration??

I was stuck at the same point as you. I was able to find and install an altered nvidia driver that made everything work!!

The pkg was: "NVIDIA Retail Mac Driver Installer 19.5.8f03.mpkg"

you can probably find it with some googl'ing

I now have a Lion 10.7 osx86 Hackintosh running on:

Asus P6T mobo

Core i7 @ 3.21 GHz

24 GB DDR3

2x Nvidia GTX 295 video cards (running 4 displays)

:(

Hello,

I have the same problem. The 10.6.X guides do not working with 10.7.

Have someone another solution for the lion?

hugs!

ote name='zNuNoz' date='Jul 30 2011, 11:53 AM' post='1726062']

What else did you do besides installing that package? efi string? graphics enabler?

Can you upload that Drivers and post them?

Thanks!

What else did you do besides installing that package? efi string? graphics enabler?

Can you upload that Drivers and post them?

Thanks!

I followed a snow leopard guide and it got me to a point where the System Profiler would detect the gtx 295s but i could not change resolutions ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1338125 )

after that...

I removed all the NV* kexts from the /System/Library/Extensions folder (or just copy to another folder for backup)

Then placed some other kexts in my /Extra/Extensions folder. I have zipped up all the kexts and placed on my dropbox -- i just uploaded to my dropbox, may take a little while before it is available. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11956893/Extensions.zip

after those have been copied, i run myFix1.3 to refresh the kext cache and repair permissions.

reboot

Install the NVIDIA driver mpkg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11956893/NVIDIA%20...5.8f03.mpkg.zip

Reboot

I boot with a kernel flag "GraphicsEnabler=No"

-sQuAshua

The following maybe of help for folks running 10.6.7 or earlier with a NVIDIA GTS/GTX 2xx graphics card and wanting to update to 10.6.8.

Prior to the 10.6.8 update, download two kexts by nawcom http://prasys.info/legacy_kexts_by_nawcom.zip

Unzip the file and use Kext Helper to install both EvilAppleACPIPlatform.kext and EvilIOPCIFamily.kext to /Extra/Extensions.

This ensured my GTX 295 graphics card will continue to work after the 10.6.8 update. No changes were needed to my boot plist file which has the EFI string for my GTX 295 card.

Thanks to nawcom for providing the two kexts.

The system sleep is failing though under 10.6.8 for me with this method. However, the display can sleep and wake up without any problems with Apple's native 10.6.8 drivers.

- meroy

Sorry guys! two kexts by nawcom running with GTX260 on 10.6.8?? thank you

I followed a snow leopard guide and it got me to a point where the System Profiler would detect the gtx 295s but i could not change resolutions ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1338125 )

after that...

I removed all the NV* kexts from the /System/Library/Extensions folder (or just copy to another folder for backup)

Then placed some other kexts in my /Extra/Extensions folder. I have zipped up all the kexts and placed on my dropbox -- i just uploaded to my dropbox, may take a little while before it is available. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11956893/Extensions.zip

after those have been copied, i run myFix1.3 to refresh the kext cache and repair permissions.

reboot

Install the NVIDIA driver mpkg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11956893/NVIDIA%20...5.8f03.mpkg.zip

Reboot

-sQuAshua

Here, recognizes the card but no GL acceleration. when I put the kexts GeforceXXX.kext works but the video goes blank when the interface loads.

Any ideas?

are using which version of open gl?

Screen Image

My kexts GTX295 DualPCB ludkacwb.zip

Thank you!

after that...

reboot

Reboot

-sQuAshua

Thanks for sharing your info and kexts, but still no go for me with your files...But i want to try again, maybe i missed something.

Here, recognizes the card but no GL acceleration. when I put the kexts GeforceXXX.kext works but the video goes blank when the interface loads.

Any ideas?

are using which version of open gl?

Screen Image

My kexts GTX295 DualPCB ludkacwb.zip

Thank you!

For me is the same that append to you, when it look it as GL Acceleration the screen stay's blank with the mouse, but no desktop...

I also got at some point of my try and fail experiences a messed up graphics screen full with glitches, kind like this:

iMac24BadGraphics02.jpg

Gooooooooood News....

GTX295 Successfuuuuuuuuuli working with acceleration and sleep ( for Me )

firts my spec :

Rampage || extreme -1802 bios

i7920

12 gb corsair

zotac gtx295..

Do Not delete any extension from ur System\Library|Extension...

i have got snow leopard 10.6.6 and on other drive my lion...

1.create ur installer drive 10.7 with extre folder ( NVenabler must be in installer to get it work )

2. after installing ur lion, come up with ur snow leopard and copy ur extre from 10.6.x to ur lion drive..

ther extre must include {{nvenabler}}{{ gtx295fix}}and 2 evil file

EvilAppleACPIPlatform

EvilIOPCIFamily...

so first install lion... then copy ur extre with the files above...then the other extension (sound network or multobeast)