10.5 on a G3

Le Chuck

27 posts in this topic

Just downloaded the DMG of Leopard this week and try'd to install it on my G3 800Mhz iBook.

I've done some searching in the installer to see what's supported and found that there's a check for G3 proc's.

I've burned the image to DVD-R DL to make sure, and the installer give's an error message saying that my hardware isn't supported.

After editing the installer it did install succesfully, and i will show how to edit the file.

First convert the DMG to a read/write enabled DMG with the Disk Utility.

Mount the converted DMG and edit /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg/Contents/OSInstall.dist with tekstedit.

In the top of the file there are a few lines who look like this:

function checkSupportedMachine(machineType){

// Fail on G3

if (1 != system.sysctl('hw.vectorunit') ) {

return false;

}

var badMachines = ['iMac','PowerBook1,1','PowerBook2,1', 'AAPL,Gossamer', 'AAPL,PowerMac G3', 'AAPL,PowerBook1998', 'AAPL,PowerBook1999'];

if(machineType){

var length = badMachines.length;

// Fail if any of the compatible values match the list of badMachines

for( var j = 0; j < length; j++ ){

if(machineType == badMachines[j]){

return false;

}

}

}

// if we can't find it, assume it's supported

return true;

}

Change these lines to just this:

function checkSupportedMachine(machineType){

// if we can't find it, assume it's supported

return true;

}

Then burn the DMG to a dual layer DVD and have fun!

There are a few thing that don't work with a G3.

Safari doesn't wan't to start and the prefspanel for Pages doesn't work.

Safari can be enabled by copying it from a Tiger installation :-)

I've just installed Leopard on a G4, and it does work very well on a G4.

Please keep me updated with any error's and bugs you may find on a G3.

Meanwhile, i'm enjoying the first iBook G3 with Leopard in the Netherlands :P

Well done! It seems that Apple wishes to do away with G3s, even though they are quite capable processors. This reminds me of a time when Steve Jobs tried to rid his company of the Apple II line of computers so as to pave the way for the Macintosh.

:D

Guru

Well done! It seems that Apple wishes to do away with G3s, even though they are quite capable processors. This reminds me of a time when Steve Jobs tried to rid his company of the Apple II line of computers so as to pave the way for the Macintosh.

:D

Guru

Well can't blame Apple for getting rid of the G3 support.

The G3 already last's for at least 8 years now and whe have intel proc's now :)

My expectation is that PPC support will be off in Mac OS X 10.6

But now that i've got a G3 and a G4 running, it's time to crack Leopard for my P4 "mac's" :D

• 1 month later...

Hmm..Kind of obvious and I know someone's down it a million times but just to confirm I installed Leopard on a G4 EXTERNAL firewire drive then just plugged it into my G3 800 iBook. Works fine, just as quick as Tiger. A couple of things dont work:

Itunes - just used the Tiger version

Safari - as above - or try Firefox

Sound DOES work btw.

So does Screens :-) (only 2 screens, you can't change it to more than 2 - I'm hunting for the conf file)

Right now I'm installing on my GF's iMac DV 500 (call me a pervert if you want to...)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There isn't any "Show Package Contents" option for OSInstall.mpkg. Help?

Edited by trav1085

Guest bikedude880
I can't select "Show package contents" in OSInstall.mpkg. There isn't any option too.

Apple has implemented a new package design. They have compressed the packages using a utility called "xar". In order to modify the packages, you need to have 9a321 already installed. Quite the Catch-22, eh?

But... I don't have it installed, how can I if I need to edit this file so I can get it installed on my G3? Can I download xar? Hmm... Could somebody send me that edited file? Through my email or so. If asking here is against the rules I remove this.

Edited by trav1085

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If you are having difficulty installing the OS you could use CarbonCopyCloner as another option.

1)Lock the Disk Image

2)Start Carbon Copy Cloner

3)Select the OS Install as the Source

4)Select a drive with enough free space to install the OS(Preferably not your Startup Drive-A Blank external drive would be best-An Old FireWire iPOd works very well for this)

5)Clone the Image

6)Make any changes to the install package you need to.

7)reboot off the external drive and install.

Helped me install on a G3 iBook

yeah, it can be done but should it be done, putting leopard on a g3. it's soooooooo slow!!! even overclocked

it was death on my 900 mhz g3. what kind do you have?

On screenshot i see Toast 7 that cannot work on G3... And Screenshot didn't show any other leopard "things" that can identify this OS as Leopard. Just standart Dock, toolbar... And ATM with wrote 1.5... Any other facts to proof ??

• 4 months later...

I assumed this should work with a G4 with less sys req aswell. I tried but i only get´s garbled text when i open the file: "Install Mac OS X" with texteditor..

Maybe i did something wrong, i have converted the dmg to read/write and mount it. Can you please describe exactly how you did after that?