Still Waiting for root device

68 posts in this topic

If you use a hard drive partition for installation, you can also edit that, the same way that you can edit a USB drive. Basically you would use Apple Disk Utility to 'restore' the install media (i.e. a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail DVD) to an ~8GB hard drive partition, then experiment with boot loader configuration and kernel extensions until it can boot on its own. Of course, preparing it will require access to a Mac or working Hackintosh.

Bleak:

When you installed Leopard, you used a distro, which is a hacked install DVD. These already have a bootloader and a whole bunch of kernel extensions that can be used to get OS X working on a PC.

The problem is that you didn't learn anything from that - but that's because you didn't know what to look for at the time.

If you could install Leopard, then you can install Snow Leopard. The same files and configuration settings that enabled Leopard to work on your hardware can be used with Snow Leopard. Although of course in some cases newer versions of the same files will be necessary.

It's too bad you didn't take any notes at the time.

Hi Gringo,

It took loads of notes and printouts at that time of all the possible things that might happen. Fortunately nothing went wrong. And like I said before, I am completely stunned this time as nothing of this sort happened last time,WITH THE SAME SYSTEM and DVD. Anyways, I figured my chipset and its ICH7.2012_03_28_09_55_40_670.jpg

(https://plus.google....832811114801730)

ANways, I tried iAtkos L2 disk last night and guess what, got a new error. A small stop sign with the apple logo behind it.

You have a G31 chipset, I have a G33. Let me know if the distro you downloaded boots from a DVD drive then I will tell you what to do next.

By the way, I prefer USB drives for installs as you can edit them. So try to write your image to a USB drive, if possible.

Hi Deep, no, as you can see, I have a ICH7 Chipset. And now forget the 'Still waiting' error. I am getting a stop sign with the Apple logo behind it right at the beginning. Wondering what causes this.

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
I repeat: Please don't quote entire posts when replying directly below them. Thank you

You have an ICH7 Southbridge, you wrote that yourself. :P

I also have an ICH7, I will post the driver when I find it. That should help you boot. That Prohibition Sign and Apple Logo is the same “Still Waiting for root device” problem, hidden beneath. You will be able to see it by booting with “-v” (Verbose mode).

PS: I think you should do a little more homework and read about some common hackintosh terms before attempting another install.

• Like 1

Thanx a lot again.

Also, how do I use the driver you will be posting here? Can I inject it in the iAtkos L2 DVD? And I am also trying to get my DVD drive to be a Primary Master (from Primary Slave)

Appreciate your help.

As I told you previously, it is much better to use a USB drive as you can modify it. You can’t put the kext in your DVD. iPC worked for me. It will probably work for you. See if you can get your hands on an iPC 10.5.8 DVD.

Otherwise you could try to edit the iAtkos DVD image you downloaded but I don’t know how to do that on Windows. I am still looking for the driver, will probably post it tomorrow.

Note that (according to his notes) he has ICH7R, which has a different device ID than ICH7. This is a very important detail that should not be missed.

All he needs is to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS and use AHCIPortInjector.kext, which will inject the correct device IDs for ICH7R so that the OS X drivers will load for it.

Bleak:

If you want your DVD drive to be master, then set the jumper on the back of the DVD drive to master and place the drive at the end of the cable. This is pretty basic stuff, please do some more reading before throwing yourself to the wolves.

• Like 1

thanx u guys...

to be honest, thats the tragedy of my life...i dont have a way to activate AHCI mode in my BIOS. I have pictures of my BIOS too if you guys wish to see it. I even tried activating it through the regedit. Nothing. I am just worried, it shouldnt wipe my dada from my HDDs.

Did I mention, I have a partioned HDD into 3. I am trying to install it on one of those partitions.

Then you set it to RAID mode. you'll notice if you look at the screenshot above that ICH7R in RAID mode is supported.

If your ICH7 is not an "R" model, then you can use ATAPortInjector.kext or AppleIntelPIIATA.kext.

Note that you cannot immediately install retail Lion to your hard drive if it's MBR partitioned. You'll need to modify the installer packages first so that it will allow you to install on an MBR drive. I can't help you with that (I've never done it) but it shouldn't be a problem finding the information you need.

You won't have this problem if you format and partition your drive with Apple Disk Utility before installing.

I need to read read read and just read.

everytime I log in, there is something awaiting me I don't understand. ANd this time its MBR partitioning. Feel like giving up honestly cause there is plethora of things to read and understand before even taking one step.

Phew...I got hold of the Lion Kexts for ACHI but didn't know what to do, Felt like having the keys to a penthouse in my hand, but no penthouse anywhere to be seen.

Anyways, tried editing the iAtkos DVD with it, and like a noob came home with a DVD that just has the kext on it. Only god knows where is iAtkos on that damn disk

What I did:

Got a Mac.

put the iAtkos L2.dmg on the desktop.

mounted it.

the icon appeared.

opened disk utility.

Create Image and the with permissions to read/write

saved it as some other named .dmg

then unmounted the previous image and mounted the new/renamed image

And as per 'e-how' just dragged the kexts on to this mounted image of iAtkosL2

Then burned this image to disk.

WHen I came home and checked it in Windows, only the kexts are there. NOthing else.

Phew...honestly tired and v v angry.

THIS SAME BLOODY SYSTEM RAN OS X LEOPARD!

Am sorry and apologize in advance for this outburst.

MBR partitioned drives are not a problem if you're using iATKOS, it has already been modified so that it can be installed on an MBR partitioned drive.

I need to read read read and just read.

Damn right. Or you can do it the hard way - keep experimenting like you did when you tried to add a kernel extension to your iATKOS DVD.

Make up your mind, are you trying to install iATKOS L2 or retail Lion? I can't help you with iATKOS, and as you have already been told, it's much much easier to install from USB, this way you have full control. Adding kernel extensions to an install DVD is a futile exercise, it can be done but it's complicated and totally not worth the effort. It's much less complicated to build your own installer. You have already been pointed to several guides that explain how to do that.

THIS SAME BLOODY SYSTEM RAN OS X LEOPARD!

I already told you, that doesn't mean anything. The distro you used to install Leopard or Snow Leopard already had the drivers you needed and was already modified to work on a variety hardware. Distros are like a lottery and you got lucky.

It's better to install retail because this way you can add only the files that are required for OS X to run on your hardware. The problem with distros is that they try to work with everything, which means features are missing and patches are in effect where they are not needed. This will cause problems down the road.

You are going in circles, repeating the same mistakes and the same questions, and you're not taking the advice given to you by experienced users here and elsewhere.

Phew...I knew I was treading dangerous waters here I knew I was going to receive flak. Anyways, might get a Retail disk soon. Will see how it happens then. Also, on YOuTube, there are no tutorials to inject kexts. I don't know how to inject 'em anyway.

You don't "inject" kexts you just place them in a folder!

In the Hackintosh universe, "injection" refers to injection of device-properties into the IORegistry. This is what those two injector kexts that I've been talking about do. When you set GraphicsEnabler=y, EthernetBuiltIn=y in your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist, you are also causing "device-properties" to be injected. Device Properties can be anything that informs OS X about a system device, it can be a device ID or a capability for example.

Kernel extensions can in principle be placed anywhere you want, but if you want them to be loaded automatically they go in:

1) /Extra/Extensions on the installer partition or drive itself, when building the installer.

2) /System/Library/Extensions once you have Lion up and running.

When you have copied the kernel extensions to /S/L/E and installed the Chamelon boot loader to your hard drive:

- Set UseKernelCache=y in your /Extra/org/Chameleon.Boot.plist

- Fix permissions and ownership on /System/Library/Extensions (very important)

- Rebuild the caches so that the new kexts get in.

These steps will be detailed in whatever Lion retail installation guide you follow. If they aren't, find them in another guide.

---

First thing you need to do - if you don't have access to a Mac or working hackintosh - is install Leopard or Snow Leopard to a small partition on the same drive you'll be installing Lion on. Then use that to work from - it's only for the purpose of building the Lion installer, later you can get rid of it. The Leopard/Snow Leopard "work" installation doesn't have to be 100% functional for this purpose, you don't need graphics acceleration or sound but working ethernet will be useful of course.

Good luck.

Thanks again Gringo.

But that was my initial but now failed plan. That's why I tried installing the Leopard again. Anyways, on Youtube, tutorials by cpukid are very good. But he has two ways to install it. The ######+###### way and the non-######+###### way. The latter one is pretty confusing.

So the ######+###### method also works right?