Still Waiting for root device

68 posts in this topic

So after helping a friend of mine install Snow Leopard on his laptop, I decided to install it on a spare HDD I happened to have. When booting the disk I get a "Still Waiting for Root Device" error. So then I looked up the causes for this error and tried all the fixes I could, but it would still not boot. I tried using an external DVD drive, they get to the instalation screen but they go into a power save mode so the installation freezes up. So, I decided to install Snow Leopard onto a VM and then transfer it onto my HDD. After installation I installed all the kexts that I knew I had to install for my hardware to work. I then converted the virtual hard drive into a RAW and then used my Ubuntu partition to write it onto the new HDD. When trying to boot off that drive I still get the "Still Waiting for Root Device Error" Any help would be appreciated.

2 HDDs, 1 IDE (Snow Leopard, Primary Master), 1 SATA (Ubuntu/Windows 7)

IDE DVD drive (Primary Slave)

MOBO: ASUS P5N73-AM

GPU: GTS 250 1GB

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

I think I am just missing a kext that would allow Snow Leopard to recognize my hard drives, but I am not sure.

you need to have AHCi enabled first, and then, don't do that, installing snow leo on an hd via vmware by copying it or something like that is just not good, if you have 2 hard disks in your pc, you can try to install snow leo on the other hard disk (the one you're not using, i suppose now you have windows?) in vmware, i installed my Snow Leo just like that (you don't know the things i did to get snow leo to boot, that "still waiting for root device" error bothered me for years, because my pc has SATA mode greyed out on RAID in the bios so i couldn't change to AHCI) on an external USB Hard Disk and everything works just fine (no really, the hard disk is a high-speed one)

my pc has SATA mode greyed out on RAID in the bios so i couldn't change to AHCI

AHCI is grayed out when you select RAID because RAID mode implies AHCI, therefore there's no need to select it manually.

Read "Operating modes": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahci

Parklane: Your motherboard has Nvidia nForce 610i chipset. Read this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224

Read this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1656828

snow leo just hates IDE, i tryed to install Snow on an IDE hard disk that i had, and i had the same problem, it didn't want to show up in disk utility, so i managed to install Snow on the hard disk via vmware but it wouldn't boot, just forget it, SATA or nothing....

I thought the same, but now I have made it install on IDE drive. Dont know how, but the nawcoms mod cd did display that non ACPI compliant hardware detected but it let me install and now it is running well. You may try that mod cd.

So after helping a friend of mine install Snow Leopard on his laptop, I decided to install it on a spare HDD I happened to have. When booting the disk I get a "Still Waiting for Root Device" error. So then I looked up the causes for this error and tried all the fixes I could, but it would still not boot. I tried using an external DVD drive, they get to the instalation screen but they go into a power save mode so the installation freezes up. So, I decided to install Snow Leopard onto a VM and then transfer it onto my HDD. After installation I installed all the kexts that I knew I had to install for my hardware to work. I then converted the virtual hard drive into a RAW and then used my Ubuntu partition to write it onto the new HDD. When trying to boot off that drive I still get the "Still Waiting for Root Device Error" Any help would be appreciated.

2 HDDs, 1 IDE (Snow Leopard, Primary Master), 1 SATA (Ubuntu/Windows 7)

IDE DVD drive (Primary Slave)

MOBO: ASUS P5N73-AM

GPU: GTS 250 1GB

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

I think I am just missing a kext that would allow Snow Leopard to recognize my hard drives, but I am not sure.

Hello,

I had the same issue on my laptop - the 1st thing to check is that AHCI is always turn on in the BIOS.

Another thing can be USB issue if your 2nd drive is USB...

snow leo just hates IDE, i tryed to install Snow on an IDE hard disk that i had, and i had the same problem, it didn't want to show up in disk utility, so i managed to install Snow on the hard disk via vmware but it wouldn't boot, just forget it, SATA or nothing....

Hmm.. how disappointing. I may buy an IDE to SATA adapter and see how that works

I was able to get a SATA drive to install onto, but I am unable to get past the create your account section because of my PS/2 keyboard. The kexts I have tried in order to get PS/2 working have not helped.

Well, you could've installed SL on an IDE drive using my newly modded IOATAFamily.kext.

Nevertheless, the files attached will get you PS/2 support. (IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY)

If they don't work:

1. Go to tonymacx86's blog.

2. Download [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], put it (not INSTALL it) in the USB you booted off for your install (I don't remember where, though)

3. Install it on your SL Disk through the installer.

Archive.zip

I put the kexts in S/L/E and repaired permissions but it still doesn't work. I can't to the desktop so I don't know how I am going to install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].