WinGrub Setup

12 posts in this topic

I normally use Darwin to multiboot to OSX and XP. I was told by a lot of people on the forum to give WinGrub a try, a while back.

problem is, i have no idea how to get it set up. Most of the guides i've found are not too clear. Can someone help me out with ideally simple instructions how to get multi boot worrking with wingrub.

I attempted to get it working. When i restarted my pc i was locked out. It wouldn't boot into any OS. Finally managed to get back into Windoes but it was a long process.

So any help would be great. :)

I haven't ever used WinGrub, I use Acronis. But I read a couple of articles and I'll give you my take on it.

First, some definitions.

If your Windows installation is on the first hard drive (or only hard drive), it has an identifier of (hd0)

If Windows is on the first partition of the first hard drive, its identifier is (hd0,0)

If OSX is on the second partition of the first hard drive, its identifier is (hd0,1)

(hdx,y) where "x" is the hard drive (starting with 0) and "y" is the partition (starting with 0)

If your situation does not match the above, adjust the (hdx,y) identifiers below

1. Open WINGRUB, use the "Base Setup" menu item, click the "Copy stage files" checkbox, then "OK".

2. Use "Install Grub", install GRLDR using the BOOT.INI method

3. Verify that things have gone well so far. Open the "menu.lst" file (might be in C:\grub) and look for something like this:

title Boot Windows NT/2K/XP

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

4. Reboot, and verify that you can get into Windows.

5. Reboot again and when it gets to the grub console, press 'c' to enter command mode

6. Type the following command (replace (hd0,0) and (hd0) with correct identifiers if necessary)

root (hd0,0)

setup (hd0)

7. If all goes well, GRUB will be installed to MBR (the GNU way), reboot

8. Using GRUB to boot your Windows NT/2K/XP

9. Edit "menu.lst" as follows (remember to use correct identifiers if different from what is written)

timeout 10

title Windows XP at (hd0,0)

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

title OSx86 at (hd0,1)

root (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader --force +1

10. Use "Install Grub", "Remove" grub from BOOT.INI “

• 3 months later...

I am having a hard time finding information about this Wingrub "defrag problem" that I see talked about. What is the problem? Is it a problem for NTFS disks, if you defrag them?

I see people saying to be warned of the issue, but I don't know what the issue is and if there's a way to prevent it? Perhaps layout.ini?

• 1 month later...

That doesn't work for me. I did all of that and got Grub installed and working on the MBR. It boots Windows from there, but when trying to boot OSX (which for me is on (hd0,5) ) it says...

Error 12

Invalid device requested

The WinGrub program itself tells me that (hd0,5) is where OSX is installed, so I am assuming it is correct. OS X itself calls it disk0s6 but it numbers partitions from 1, rather than from 0 of course.

I also tried changing root (hd0,5) to rootnoverify (hd0,5) which I had read elsewhere, but that made no difference.

Any ideas? :(

• 1 year later...

I've successed to have the grub bootloader using easy bcd but once I've choosen MAC OS X, it boots on Mac os x but when I reboot, it writes: "HFS+ partition error"

I've tried the: root (hd0,0)

setup (hd0)

but it doesn't do anything since my partition is in NTFS

So what can I do?

• 1 month later...

Once you have grub working to boot OSX, is there some trick to not have Darwin present you with another boot partition list?

Using the suggested grub menu option:

title OSx86 at (hd0,1)

root (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader --force +1

I boot to the grub menu, select OSX, and Darwin then shows me the partitions available and which one I would like to boot.

Trying to go straight to booting the OSX partition without that step.

I've done this so many times but always forget what it is exactly ad have to test it out.

You have to go into com.apple.Boot.plist by going into terminal and typing sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. From there you must edit to add the following code I think.

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If it's not that then it's the following:

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

More information is in "Messing with the boot options" in the Wiki.

• 5 months later...

Hey yall,

I've got an odd problem with WinGrub. I just got OS X 10.5.2 setup on my 2nd drive and it boots just fine using EFI8, but if I try to route the boot through WinGrub using "kernel (hd1,0)/boot/boot_v8" I get an error message that says "Unrecognized partition table for drive 81" and it drops me back into the Grub boot menu.

I'm triple booting right now with WinXP, OS X 10.4.8, & OS X 10.5.2. My 10.5.2 install right now is just for play so I don't jackup my main 10.4.8 install till I get the bugs worked out. XP and .8 boot just fine with WinGrub but both are on the same drive and XP is the first partition.

Update: I guess technically it's now GrubForDos

https://gna.org/projects/grub4dos/

Kage_