A decent remote desktop solution please!

13 posts in this topic

I've set up OS X 10.4.6 nicely on my main PC. Now I would like to be able to access it from my WinXP laptop. I've tried VNC, sloooooooow. And I've dabbled with Apple's Remote Desktop 3, but I don't think there's a XP client for it. Both computers are part of the same LAN so I'd rather avoid internet/browser-based software. Please someone recommend a quick and dirty solution (like Windows XP Pro's awesome Remote Desktop, but for OS X servers and XP clients).

Thanks...

Timbuktu is definitly your best choice. Only client out there that supports dual monitors (though only if you are using it Mac to Mac). Very kewl feature allows you to either see the two screen as if they were one (by scrolling left and right) or by choosing which monitor you want to see.

I use remotleyanywhere. whats cool is you load the software on the machine you want to remote in then from any computer you just have to use a web browser like IE, firefox, opera. It uses active x or java to display your remote machine.

I use remotleyanywhere. whats cool is you load the software on the machine you want to remote in then from any computer you just have to use a web browser like IE, firefox, opera. It uses active x or java to display your remote machine.

That software only runs on Windows machines I believe no OSX version

Thanks for the Timbuktu suggestion, although it is pretty expensive (to this unemployed {censored} at least). And still hard to get through ::cough:: unconventional means ::cough::

Hope Apple will catch-up to Microsoft in this field soon.

Update:

Never mind. :)

The easiest way comes with Office 2004 for mac:

Just select the remote Desktop at the installation personalize options somewhere under office tools, and you should be fine.

Connecting to an XP machine was like 1. enter IP, 2. Enter PW, 3. done :poster_oops:

Ah yes, sorry.

I just know NetOp for that. Sadly it's payware. You can dl a trial but maybe there are free alternatives for netOp.

Also see this hint on how to use vncviewer with crossover office.