RevoBoot

buoo

290 posts in this topic

OK, I discover what is happen!

RevoBuilder put this in Settings.h:

#define STATIC_SCREEN_WIDTH 2560 1920

#define STATIC_SCREEN_HEIGHT 1600 1200

I think it's because I had 2 monitors connected to the same video card, I just needed to edit:

#define STATIC_SCREEN_WIDTH 2560

#define STATIC_SCREEN_HEIGHT 1600

And the error gone. :)

Thanks for finding the problem vultu.

I'll come up with a fix for RevoBuilder if more that one monitor is found.

EDIT:

vultu - Can you unzip, double click and post the result of this please?

restest.command.zip

Sure, no problem.

restest_result.txt

Thanks. But I was expecting to see the following in the script's output.

2560 1920

1600 1200

where at the end I only see:

I can see 2560x1600 in the ioreg output, but not in the script's output. Can you run it from your system booted from Chameleon so I can see the same result as RevoBuiler gave when you ran it to receive the error?

WOW ;)

Do you have a SSD?

Yep, Samsung 470 SSD Thinking about having a play with a RevoDrive.

I motherboard is capable of loading a efi executable. So I'm going to try and get it to directly load the Revoboot 'boot' file and that should shave another second off.

I'll get some video footage when I get back from work tonight... the machine as a whole screams!!!

Edit: Sorry I stop using RevoBuilder and just built by hand. But I would imagine it was because I am running duel screens.

I can see 2560x1600 in the ioreg output, but not in the script's output. Can you run it from your system booted from Chameleon so I can see the same result as RevoBuiler gave when you ran it to receive the error?

Yep, I did again now using Chameleon, but the result was the same.

Maybe because Im using EFI string to config my GTX 460?

restest_result2.txt

Yep, I did again now using Chameleon, but the result was the same.

Okay. Well I was aiming to fix the script with regards to only grabbing a single screen resolution when more than one display is used in response to your previous post #125. But if you can't reproduce your initial result with the script then I can only guess at what happens when the script executes as running it here against the ioreg info you've posted results in the last resolution being taken and not both.

Edit: Sorry I stop using RevoBuilder and just built by hand. But I would imagine it was because I am running duel screens.

No problem. If anybody chooses to try RevoBuilder then they will generally only run it once to get and and running with a basic setup. It's by no means a substitute for doing it by hand which is the only real way to understand the whole setup etc. :)

RevoBuilder now includes an option to build a bootable USB flash drive. It works for both Snow Leopard and Lion and will boot successfully using the prelinked kernel cache or the /S*/*/E* folder. The plan is to eventually build the RevoStick/RevoDrive but to get there will require testing from users to report their experience, comments and recommendations

You can download RevoBuilder by going here and clicking the Downloads button.

It's not perfect but it's a start so please leave feedback here if possible. Thanks.

I'm trying your RevoBootUsb and all compile without warnings ( i use for SL )and make the usb fine ( all kext from extra copied to S/L/E in usb)... but when i try to boot from this usb only see a white cursor and nothing more :D

Thanks for testing the Bootable USB option of RevoBuilder sea_man.

Have you previously been able to successfully boot your system using RevoBoot without using the Bootable USB option of RevoBuilder? in other words by doing it manually?

RevoBuilder now includes an option to build a bootable USB flash drive. It works for both Snow Leopard and Lion and will boot successfully using the prelinked kernel cache or the /S*/*/E* folder. The plan is to eventually build the RevoStick/RevoDrive but to get there will require testing from users to report their experience, comments and recommendations

You can download RevoBuilder by going here and clicking the Downloads button.

It's not perfect but it's a start so please leave feedback here if possible. Thanks.

Works perfect for me, and save me when the things going wrong with EFI Partition.

Lion Boot.

Thank you guys!

I'm using chimera for boot and test first your RevoBootUsb nothing more.

Sorry i'm new whit this boot loader , and don't know if is sufficient whit only boot from the RevoBootUsb.

Can't get the revobuilder script to compile from within lion, works fine in snow leopard.

Once compiled from snow leopard it boots Lion fine.

Now trying to understand the SSDT tables. Got graphics and HDMI audio patch in DSDT how would i go about getting this (and the other patches) into the SSDT file

Can't get the revobuilder script to compile from within lion, works fine in snow leopard.

Once compiled from snow leopard it boots Lion fine.

Now trying to understand the SSDT tables. Got graphics and HDMI audio patch in DSDT how would i go about getting this (and the other patches) into the SSDT file

Hi Raulll,

Read here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=247114

It's a easy guide where you can find many examples "how to build it"

• Like 1

Hi,my first attempt to use revobuild failed.Any ideas?

post-657244-1311166439_thumb.png

Ah.. RevoBuilder hasn't yet been updated to work with RevoBoot v1.0.22 yet.

But not finding the make command is strange. I see RevoBuilder is reporting you have the Apple Devleloper tools installed.

Can you load up the Terminal and type make followed by return? This should return:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

If you do see that, can you then cd to the RevoBoot-1.0.22 source folder and type make and let me know what happens? Though don't expect a successful compile as the Settings.h file generated by RevoBuilder won't be correct for v1.0.22 of RevoBoot.

If you do see that, can you then cd to the RevoBoot-1.0.22 source folder and type make and let me know what happens? Though don't expect a successful compile as the Settings.h file generated by RevoBuilder won't be correct for v1.0.22 of RevoBoot.

Sorry,my mistake installing xcode I didnt check UNIX Dev Support.Now I have command make and compilation Failed again

efi.c:51:51: error: empty character constant

make[2]: *** [efi.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

Compilation of RevoBoot for SNOW_LEOPARD Failed.

Obviously I have to " google" for these errors

Sorry,my mistake installing xcode I didnt check UNIX Dev Support.

Ah.. okay.. well that explains that one then.

I quickly updated RevoBuilder last night to v1.0.25 which should now build a setting.h file compatible with RevoBoot v1.0.22 so I recommend you get the latest version before doing anything else.

Now I have command make and compilation Failed again

efi.c:51:51: error: empty character constant

make[2]: *** [efi.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

Looking at line 51 in efi.c I see

static EFI_CHAR16 const SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUMBER[]	= STATIC_SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUMBER;

which should tie in with the following line in /i386/config/settings.h

#define STATIC_SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUMBER			{ 'S', 'O', 'M', 'E', 'S', 'R', 'L', 'N', 'U', 'M', 'B', 'R' }

Note the above serial number is not a serial number and needs replacing with the one you choose to use. RevoBuilder's purpose is mainly to help find data from your current system and populate some of the simple directives in settings.h that are required to build RevoBoot. In this case it looks like it hasn't worked, or more likely you are not using a Serial Number.

Please go to 'About This Mac' from the Apple menu and click twice on the text reading the version number (underneath the large Apple logo and Mac OS X text, and above the Software Update button). Do you see a serial number there? If you do, then edit settings.h and manually add the serial number to the correct location within settings.h, taking note of the way the characters should be separated. Then try building it again.

Please go to 'About This Mac' from the Apple menu and click twice on the text reading the version number (underneath the large Apple logo and Mac OS X text, and above the Software Update button). Do you see a serial number there? If you do, then edit settings.h and manually add the serial number to the correct location within settings.h, taking note of the way the characters should be separated. Then try building it again.

Thank you very much,compilation was successful!

Hi, I'm not sure how to get this to boot, think I'm just missing something. Have used Revobuilder and have compiled it all for Lion, but is still booting on Chameleon, do I need to move the files somewhere after compile or anything else? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi, I'm not sure how to get this to boot, think I'm just missing something. Have used Revobuilder and have compiled it all for Lion, but is still booting on Chameleon, do I need to move the files somewhere after compile or anything else? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Tom ;)

After compiling, take the boot file in /sym/i386 and put it into root of your Lion (or Snow) partition.

Hi Tom :)

After compiling, take the boot file in /sym/i386 and put it into root of your Lion (or Snow) partition.

This is the missing step in my config !

Now revoboot is working fine whit my lion setup ! THANKS !!!

Pdt:

MSrdumper is only show the turbo ratios and the default .. is it normal ? ( ie: 16, 35 , 36 , 37 ) ( default settings, no overclock)

Brilliant, it worked, however still only getting 6 pstates :)

Also boot time was faster but not 100% and the Apple logo at login is now in off centre to the right of the middle :S

Jul 23 21:31:20 server kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16) 
Jul 23 21:31:20 server kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 23 39 40 41 42