Does Apple really think I'd pay $999 for a Core 2 Macbook?

4 posts in this topic

It's that time again. Time to say good bye to my old and faithful Core Duo Macbook. Time to move on, time to get a new laptop.

I haven't been keeping up with the Mac world this year because of med school, and the revolution happening here in Egypt. :D (Yes, I attend med school in Egypt :P)

Anyway, I just found out that the Macbook is still running on a Core 2 :o

Seriously? Pay $999 for a Core 2 laptop? Being an Apple Mac is not an excuse to charge that much for such old hardware.

I know it has other advantages like the battery, unibody and the multitouch but still. My GF just got a core i7 HP laptop for $850.

I honestly won't pay that much for a Core 2, and I won't get a Macbook Pro either.

Sooooo, does anyone know when Apple is planning to update their (currently POS) Macbook?

I think anything less than an i5 would be unfair, though I'd still buy it with a sandy bridge i3. I really want another Macbook :'(

Rumor has it that they may update them just before Lion comes out next month, but I haven't seen any evidence to support it. Who knows. I've also been hearing rumors since earlier this year that they plan to discontinue the white polycarbonate version very soon. I wouldn't be all that surprised, considering they already have a 13" MacBook Pro and a 13" MacBook Air, as well as the fact that Apple stated they see all MacBooks eventually heading in the direction of the Air.

Maybe when they get rid of the white one, the price of the 13" Pro will come down a little.

I don't think that's a good idea. They have a consumer line of desktops (iMac) and a Pro version (Mac... Pro).

They should stick with what they got on their notebook line, consumer and pro (MacBook (Pro)), and get rid of the Air. I don't like it. You might as well get an iPad 2.

My 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyway, I just found out that the Macbook is still running on a Core 2 :D

Seriously? Pay $999 for a Core 2 laptop? Being an Apple Mac is not an excuse to charge that much for such old hardware.

I agree. It has specs even lower than a notebook I bought over 3 years ago.

As it has already been hinted, Apple should soon decide what to do with it: either discontinue it (seems to me like the most likely option) or upgrade it.

I also believe it has become pretty redundant, the MacBook Pro 13" is "only" 150 Euro more expensive.