[Guide] Asus P8P67 Sandy Bridge Guide (now 100% working!)

48 posts in this topic

Ah try this - temporarily disconnect or disable the third hdd, boot windows, delete the boot entry from easybcd for os x, recreate it, reboot and make sure it works and then reenable the third drive and see if it still works.

EasyBCD auto detects the drive and it looks like it got it wrong so you may be able to trick it via the above method!

EDIT - Woohoo my 200th post (well nearer 300th but since my original account was deleted I had to start again! (annoying because I can't update the original post in the installation guide thread with the updated links or latest installation instructions).

Tried, but didn't work. Maybe it's because I have to set the drive properly on easyBCD? In this case, EasyBCD doesn't recognize my OS X install drive. That may be because windows hasn't give it a letter. Win7 is on C, of course, than I have D for optycal drive E and F for the storage HDD (both for the same disk, E is "reserved to the system"). I would give a letter to the second SSD wich is correctly recognized by windows disk manager under system, administration. I just wonder if it could mess up the OS X boot system... I'm quite a noob about Mac! Even if I tend to think it shouldn't, since installations are phisically separeted, being on 2 different drives... Should I try that way?

Tried, but didn't work. Maybe it's because I have to set the drive properly on easyBCD? In this case, EasyBCD doesn't recognize my OS X install drive. That may be because windows hasn't give it a letter. Win7 is on C, of course, than I have D for optycal drive E and F for the storage HDD (both for the same disk, E is "reserved to the system"). I would give a letter to the second SSD wich is correctly recognized by windows disk manager under system, administration. I just wonder if it could mess up the OS X boot system... I'm quite a noob about Mac! Even if I tend to think it shouldn't, since installations are phisically separeted, being on 2 different drives... Should I try that way?

How did you set up the os x entry in easybcd?

On mine its set as follows..

Entry #4

Name: Snow Leopard

BCD ID: {4fde669b-1287-11df-908b-b7061790a183}

Drive: C:\

Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_mac.mbr

i.e. I set it to mbr rather than guid

p.s. f#ucking anout with easybcd won't harm your mac install - but you could screw up your windows one as its the windows bootloader that you are effectively messing with!

How did you set up the os x entry in easybcd?

On mine its set as follows..

Entry #4

Name: Snow Leopard

BCD ID: {4fde669b-1287-11df-908b-b7061790a183}

Drive: C:\

Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_mac.mbr

i.e. I set it to mbr rather than guid

p.s. f#ucking anout with easybcd won't harm your mac install - but you could screw up your windows one as its the windows bootloader that you are effectively messing with!

Done, but it now says "wrong boot chain" when I select OS X in the boot menu -.-

Done, but it now says "wrong boot chain" when I select OS X in the boot menu -.-

I'm pretty sure that my disk is formatted as mbr which is probably why it works for me, perhaps it's not so easy to configure with guid partitions :(

hi tried your boot cd and got kernal panic while loading retail disc related to graphics im using p67 sabertooth and ati 4870 this card has worked in the past on my asus x38 using retail disc it worked nativly any tips to get past it?

I'm pretty sure that my disk is formatted as mbr which is probably why it works for me, perhaps it's not so easy to configure with guid partitions :)

No worries, andy! You've already done so much for me !

I'll figure it out, sooner or later ;)

Thanks again, for everything! ;)

@ Aznboy1993 hi I have a question for you? I will change my Sapphire 6950 with PowerColor 6870? is this card works your guide perfectly? What do you think?

Any reference 6870 should work perfectly for single display (non mdp) use (multiple displays and mdp's are complicated and problematic at present). I have previously used a Sapphire 6870 card, an unbranded OEM 6870 card, an XFX 5870 card and a Sapphire 5770 card with 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 without issues.

Thank you Andy.. I will change my card with friends. Finally I will complete Hackintosh.

Why not ask your friend to swap cards for a week so you can try it out and make sure you are happy with it before commiting?

Thanks Andy and aznboy1993! Using your guides and support I have made some great progress getting my hackintosh up and running, but am not quite there yet. Sorry to bother you, but I had some questions about my graphics card...

Will this guide work for a EVGA GeForce 480 (SC)?

I have been banging my head against the wall trying to go to 10.6.8 and just getting to 10.6.7 would be totally fine...

Which nvidia drivers should I install? I was thinking using the latest 10.6.8 drivers and modify the values in my SystemVersion.plist to:

ProductBuildVersion: instead of 10J869 -> 10K540

ProductUserVisibleVersion & ProductVersion both from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8

Then change back after drivers are installed...

Or, should I use an older version of the drivers?

At what point in your guide should I install these drivers?

This guide is AWESOME and works almost perfectly!

I had to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to tweak the ethernet and audio. I also used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the TonyMacx86 Nvidia update to get my GeForce 480 SC up and running.

My only remaining issue is that I can get audio out of my headphone jack but not my digital out (using an optical audio cable connected to a Denon receiver). The Sound control panel tells me optical out does not have device control and the volume appears mute no matter what. Any idea how to fix this?

Also, I have not had my second GeForce 480 SC plugged in, but I would like to run dual monitors (for FCP) and will try it tomorrow. As I have one up and running the second should run perfectly, right?

Thank you again, this community is truly an incredible resource.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i am planning to buy a magic trackpad and wired keyboard. How did you setup the magic trackpad? do I have

to buy a blue tooth dongle separately for the magic trackpad? I am running os x lion gm (tonymac method).

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

(ASUS p8p67 evo, mac os lion )

Please help me i installed NVDAGF100Hal.kext and it successfully loaded. I have full resolution and working QE in my ASUS 560Ti. But unfortunately it makes mouse and keyboard not responding for 2 minutes after boot, i see the logon screen in full resolution and wait 2 min((( before i can log in. Please help me to solve problem with this loooong boot)))

• 1 month later...

THANK YOU! THIS WORKED!

Your guide should be updated to include Andy's Boot v5.0 which is the most current and the only version that worked for me

P8P67Pro

12GB RAM Mushkin

240GB SSD Mushkin

Frostr Vid card

Thank you for taking the time to write this.. all of the other guides were outdated and this was my first attempt at installing OSX on new PC hardware (which means if i ran intro problems it was one of 2 things.. hardware couldve been bad or bad bios config) vs my netbook (samsung nc10) where i knew the hardware was working correctly.

everything worked to the TEE!

(ASUS p8p67 evo, mac os lion )

Please help me i installed NVDAGF100Hal.kext and it successfully loaded. I have full resolution and working QE in my ASUS 560Ti. But unfortunately it makes mouse and keyboard not responding for 2 minutes after boot, i see the logon screen in full resolution and wait 2 min((( before i can log in. Please help me to solve problem with this loooong boot)))

was this ever resolved? are your kb/mouse plugged directly to the board or thru an extension (ie: front case usb or PCI card USB)?

have you tried booting up w/nothing else connected?

ie: boot up w/JUST THE MOUSE CONNECTED - same issue?

boot up w/JUST THE KEYBOARD CONNECTED - same issue?

do you have legacy usb enabled on your board (if supported)?

do you have a spare mouse/keyboard you could try with?

• 2 months later...

Hey i used every step you said, i can boot from the boot cd, mac works

But when i want to boot without the cd, it sais : boot 0

What is this?

My com.apple.Boot.plist looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>Kernel</key>
  <string>mach_kernel</string>
  <key>Kernel Flags</key>
  <string></string>
  <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
  <string>No</string>
  <key>Timeout</key>
  <string>5</string>

</dict>
</plist>

This is from scratch.

Thanks in advantage.

Rick

My install was going well.

Booted AndyCD

Normal install of retail cd

Installed 10.6.7 update

On next reboot of bootcd it just does the apple loading screen then after a while the spinner stops.

Have tried -x -v but just stops at a CPUManagement line and goes no further. At a lose of what to do if I cant even get into the OS even in safe or from the cd.

Specs

Asus P8P67 Pro rev 3.1

16gb Corsair DDR3

Ati HD5850

Intel i5-2500k

• 4 weeks later...

My install was going well.

Booted AndyCD

Normal install of retail cd

Installed 10.6.7 update

On next reboot of bootcd it just does the apple loading screen then after a while the spinner stops.

Have tried -x -v but just stops at a CPUManagement line and goes no further. At a lose of what to do if I cant even get into the OS even in safe or from the cd.

Specs

Asus P8P67 Pro rev 3.1

16gb Corsair DDR3

Ati HD5850

Intel i5-2500k

Does it show the stale apple logo when you boot from the CD and select your OSX installation? Have you tried booting w/flag: ge = yes? Did you install the correct KEXTs when you initially logged in after installation? I'd try reinstalling.. and running [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], but be sure you make the correct selections

Additionally, I'd recommend just dropping SL and purchasing Lion.. installation was CAKE! (follow the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] blog tutorial)